Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Arexy
Devoted October 2020 Ontario

To reschedule or not

Arexy, on April 15, 2020 at 16:38 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 11

Hi everyone! I hope you are all well. My future hubby and I are supposed to be getting married in September of 2020. At this point in time, my future hubby and I are strongly considering rescheduling our wedding. This is for few reasons. Firstly, I am not in good spirits right now. Usually, I love wedding planning and I think it is so much fun. However, all my wedding planning has stopped as it’s so hard to plan when the future is uncertain. I wake up every morning stressed, wondering if the big day will go on. Secondly, I am concerned about the health of our guests. I do not want to put anyone’s health in jeopardy. Third, I am concerned about the financial implications this will cause on our guests and our wedding party as a lot of people are laid off and struggling right now. Are people going to even want to come or will they consider our big day a burden? Fourth, I feel like the full experience is being ripped away from my. My bridal shower (which was scheduled for May) along with my bachelorette (which was scheduled for June) is cancelled. I cannot go to any bridal stores for a veil, shoes, or hair accessories as everywhere is closed. I could order online, however I would like to try everything on first. I do not have a cake vendor still. My bridesmaids do not have dresses, and the groom and groomsmen do not have suits. I do not want to have a wedding for the sake of having a wedding. This is supposed to be one of the biggest days of my life. So, I reached out to the venue to ask about alternative dates in 2021. Unfortunately, all Saturdays are unavailable however this is not a big deal. Right now, all Friday’s in May are available, or one Friday at the end of June. They have agreed to put the Friday in June on a tentative hold for me until we decide whether or not we want to reschedule. Luckily, all of my vendors are available for that day. If we reschedule to 2021, I can still have the full experience I.e a bridal shower, a bachelorette etc, and my hubby can have a bachelor party. What do you guys think? Should we reschedule? Should we go for a date in May 2021 or end of June 2021? Thanks in advance for the support!

11 Comments

Latest activity by Arexy, on April 16, 2020 at 15:32
  • Arexy
    Arexy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I hope your venue has some rescheduling options for you! This isn’t ideal, but if you don’t want to lose your vendors, you and your future hubby might want to consider a Friday rather than a Saturday. Saturdays are more popular, and there is a good chance your vendors are already booked up.
  • B
    Beginner September 2021 Ontario
    Breanna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I related so hard to your entire post. Literally every word.

My wedding is scheduled for September 2020 and we have just reached out to our venue to see about a tentative date for 2021. I'm getting anxious about having to contact all my vendors and try to match up a date (I really don't want to lose anyone!) and about potentially losing deposits, but I know it's something I'm going to have to do. Like a lot of brides in our situation, my motivation for planning is pretty much gone. Yes, most of my vendors are hired but there's still so much to do that I either can't because of everything being closed or I just can't find the will to do it.

Waiting another year is going to be a pain, but I want that motivation back. I want to enjoy being engaged again. I didn't think I did, but I want the bridal shower, the bachelorette/bachelor parties.

I'm so glad we have this community full of people to relate to so we know we aren't alone in this.

• Arexy
    Arexy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks for that! I appreciate it. I’m having the same train of thought as you right now. It’s probably going to be best to post pone!
  • Emily
    Curious August 2022 Ontario
    Emily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

THis is such a tough decision and I feel you and send you giant hugs.

We made the decision at the end of March to postpone our September 6, 2020 wedding. I felt the same way you did in that even the thought of wedding planning made my stomach turn and it used to be my favourite passtime. Further, the thought of our wedding being a burden (financially, emotionally, or otherwise) on any of our guests broke my heart. My bachelorette and shower were cancelled too and frankly, I really want the whole experience. This is once in a lifetime and it was a tough call, but the date of our day doesn't change how much I love FH.

If it makes you feel any better, the minute we made the decision to postpone it felt like a HUGE sigh of relief.

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    All good given to consideration along with choices made. Pushing the date next summer if that is the season you like to stick to. Your vendors are still on board as well as the venue.
  • K
    Devoted August 2021 Nova Scotia
    Kl ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Aw!! You're so welcome. Finding this community has been a god sent haha. Take good care and I can't wait to hear how things pan out!

• Arexy
    Arexy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Hi Kelcie! Your message was incredibly thorough and thoughtful! It made me feel a lot better about the situation, and hearing you say this already makes me feel like I have a weight off my shoulders. I appreciate the kind words and thank you so much! I think our alternate date will work out quite nicely Smiley smile I am also happy to hear that you’ve successfully rescheduled! I wish you all the best xo
  • K
    Devoted August 2021 Nova Scotia
    Kl ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hey Arexy! Those are all incredibly valid and well-considered reasons for potentially postponing. It sounds like you have given this a ton of thought and are keeping your guests' safety and comfort at the forefront, which is amazing.

I'm totally with you. It's so tough, because this is such a dynamic situation and you don't want to reflect back come September and feel like the decision to postpone was overkill. In terms of my own situation, my wedding was originally scheduled for late August and I bit the bullet and postponed until next year. Although it was super disappointing, that decision has been so good for my mental health. We are already in the midst of a global crisis and worrying about the wedding was just added stress and turmoil I personally could not cope with. I firmly believe it will be a massive weight off your shoulders, should you decide to postpone.

It also sounds like you have a fantastic back up plan in the works. I agree that the switch from a Saturday to a Friday is not a big deal. From what I can tell, Fridays were pretty popular to begin with and I think weekday/Sunday weddings could even become a new norm this year and next due to Covid-related postponements.

All that to say, your June 2021 contingency plan sounds like a great one, especially if it means that you won't have to forego special festivities and moments like your shower, bachelorette, shopping trip for accessories, etc. You'll also get to take a breather, avoid the logistical nightmare of store closures, and so on. But it sounds like you know what's what and will make the best decision for you and your fiance. Wishing you all the best!

• S
    Curious December 2022 Ontario
    Sam ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    We were originally August 29th. Its definitely not an easy decision but you'll be so much less stressed next year, and will really be able to enjoy the process!
  • Arexy
    Arexy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Hi Sam! I agree, I think I do know what’s best for us right now. I am just in denial a little bit, and also nervous that everything might be okay by September. But with all of this talk of a second wave in the fall, etc it seems doubtful. What was your original wedding date?
  • S
    Curious December 2022 Ontario
    Sam ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    It sounds like you know what the best decision for you is already! It is so hard to commit to that and admit that your 2020 wedding isn't going to happen, but in the long run it will be worth it. We made a similar decision this week for a lot of the same reasons

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics