Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

K
Newbie May 2018 Manitoba

To postpone or not to postpone?

Kelsey, on June 14, 2017 at 14:55 Posted in Honeymoon 0 11
So I'm just graduating with my education degree in April 2018 and my fiancé are planning on getting married May 11/2018 but we have a small issue...the hiring process for teachers is generally May-June. My fiancé and I really want to take our honeymoon right after our wedding but I don't want to be stressed about not having a job while on our trip...Just wanted to get some thoughts on whether we should go right after the wedding and risk me not getting a job, wait until mid-end of June to go, or move the wedding to the end of June so we can go right after.
Thoughts and opinions are welcome! Please be kind. Smiley smile

11 Comments

Latest activity by Vinod, on January 1, 2018 at 21:13
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We got married in august and didn't go for our honeymoon right away. We are waiting until spring to go to Niagara Falls instead of traveling. It's a thought that can work for the 2 of you.
  • Sonja
    VIP September 2017 Ontario
    Sonja ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

If it were me, I would move the wedding to the end of June. I think you'd have a lot less stress if you knew that you had a job when you get back. June is a lovely month to get married. You would have all your wishes; a honeymoon right after the wedding, an opportunity to be employed, and a little more time to plan the wedding.

• Carol
    Super March 2018 Ontario
    Carol ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I have many teachers in my family, cousins, Aunts, and Uncles. They all tend to do their planning around the school year. My opinion is get married on the date you wanted, take a minimoon, something special for the 2 of you, then when you are hired on, go on your official honeymoon. Many couples wait weeks and some months, it isnt law that you have to do it right away, plus you will be going from wedding stress right into hiring stress, you need time to relax.

• Vanessa
    Expert August 2018 Manitoba
    Vanessa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hi Kelsey,

Congratulations on your wedding and your graduation!! Super exciting! I am not a teacher but I am a special needs educational assistant. I recently graduated from the Educational Assistant Certificate Program while working as a sub because I got laid off from my job as an educational assistant in December 2016 right before Christmas. Not knowing where you stand for work is always a big worry. (I KNOW PERSONALLY). The education system is one of the hardest systems to get a secure spot in. Changing and postponing a wedding is also hard to rearrange things, We already had to rearrange our date as we didn't realize my fiances cousin was getting married the same day. By suggestion would be to graduate, celebrate your wedding, work on securing a job and when you get your job you will have even more to celebrate on your honeymoon. The day I got my recall letter that I had a fulltime job this September was the day my fiancé proposed in Las Vegas. When we have our wedding next August we will be waiting a little while too for when my daughter goes visits with her father so it doesn't effect her time with us too much and we still have time for a honeymoon before school starts and I have to go back to work. Good things come to those who wait! Congratulations again!!

• Ashley
    Super June 2018 Alberta
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would delay it cause your honeymoon is meant to be stress free and to enjoy being newlyweds!! Besides it would only be a month or two longer. Worth the wait!! Smiley diamond

• Gyann
    Newbie August 2018 Alberta
    Gyann ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Planning a wedding is stressful enough and honeymoon is meant to be used as a celebration after such stressful planning. I would recommend delaying the wedding so you have more time to plan and save money. Not to mention to have more time to job search. Nice to know you are returning from holiday to a job rather than searching for a job.

• Laura
    Super September 2017 Alberta
    Laura ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Congratulations!!! Of course you will have to decide what works best for you and your FH. I would personally do a pros and cons list and then look at everything and decide whether the pros outweigh the cons. If you don't move it and you miss an opportunity for a job next year are you in an area where they need subs and would that keep you generally employed next year? How much would you enjoy your honeymoon if you have job FOMO? You also have to consider if you move the wedding date and then still don't get a job (not sure how competitive your division is) how will you feel? These are the first things that pop into my head to consider.

• K
    Newbie May 2018 Manitoba
    Kelsey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Thanks for the response, Sara! As of yesterday I was starting to get kind of excited about potentially postponing the wedding a month or 2 but then I talked to my fiancé and he really doesn't want to postpone it cause he's worried we'll just sit around for 2 months (we're both transitioning jobs at that point). I appreciate your response and I'm glad you're excited to postpone the honeymoon! Best of luck! 😊
  • K
    Newbie May 2018 Manitoba
    Kelsey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Thanks for the response, Simone! We're hoping to find out more details as we go along but it does help when people tell us what they think we should do! Much appreciated! 😊
  • Sara
    Devoted November 2017 Ontario
    Sara ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hi Kelsey! I think it really comes down to what is more important to you, your wedding date or having the honeymoon right after. I think it is going to be wonderful whatever you choose. We are choosing to postpone our honeymoon for financial reasons and I'm pretty excited because it feels like we're pulling out the process and I get to enjoy planning for a little while after the wedding. It really comes down to you and what is most important to you. I hope it works out!

• Simone
    Master August 2017 Manitoba
    Simone ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Hi Kelsey,Congratulations on your engagement and welcome to the community. I read your post and I would say if it's easier for you both to move the wedding date in June and have the honeymoon right after. Another option I would also recommend is if you like, you can keep the date and perhaps having the honeymoon at a later date. I can understand the importance of a job and also getting married, definitely, look at all options to see what works for you both.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics