Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Rosalyn
Devoted August 2018 Alberta

To invite or not to invite

Rosalyn, on February 24, 2018 at 18:40 Posted in Wedding reception 0 32
My fiancé and I always had the rule that people where only allowed to bring a +1 if they were in a serious relationship. This decision was based on having a limited budget an very small amount of people allowed at the venue.

On of our close friends requested that he bring a date (he’s only known her a few weeks). At first I told him no, because of our incredibly small limit- we are already at our max..but then he said that he would really really like to bring her...so I said maybe...if someone declines the invite..

Am I in the wrong for not wanting someone who we’ve never met there? I would rather be able to invite another family member or friend if a space becomes available. Feeling guilty/guilted

32 Comments

Latest activity by Rosalyn, on March 5, 2018 at 14:39
  • Rosalyn
    Rosalyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I agree! It’s nice having like minded people! I posted the same question on another site and was ripped apart! It’s difficult when you are paying for your wedding yourself and every dollar counts!
  • Jodi
    Frequent user September 2018 Alberta
    Jodi ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are looking at it as if we havnt met them 6 months prior they don't get a plus one. we are also having a small wedding and trying to keep costs down, we also are not allowing children due to the same thing.. if we get push back we can "see what we can do" and if we get people that cant come we can see if we can fit them in. We are also having an after party and will allow our guests to bring their plus ones there.

• Ashley
    Frequent user August 2018 British Columbia
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

You're Welcome!

Happy planning! Smiley tongue

• Rosalyn
    Rosalyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you Ashley!
  • Rosalyn
    Rosalyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks Candace!
  • Rosalyn
    Rosalyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Oh totally! I’m not 100% saying no, just want to keep things open for people we are really close with!
  • Candace
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Candace ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We did the same thing where only people in a serious relationship would get a +1 and it has meant saying no to people bringing plus ones that they really want to bring. It sucks but ultimately it is your wedding and you want to spend it with certain people and not with strangers so if you end up saying no then you shouldn't feel guilty

• Ashley
    Frequent user August 2018 British Columbia
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We only did +1’s for those who were in serious relationships that we had either met before or were family.
  • Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I don't think you're wrong, but what if this girl ends up being "the one" for this close friend? It happens!

My now fiancé invited me as his date to his sisters wedding when we were 3 months in (his sisters wedding was 6 months from when we started dating), and had his sister said "no" to me going because I was a "stranger" I would definitely have resentment towards her (whether I wanted to or not).

Have an open mind about this date and see where they are by the time your August wedding comes along.

• Rosalyn
    Rosalyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Exactly!!!
  • Jen
    VIP June 2018 Ontario
    Jen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

RIGHT?! lol made me feel like a total knob but oh well. They hid it, including the engagement lol so how was anybody to know?

• Rosalyn
    Rosalyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks Courtney!
  • Rosalyn
    Rosalyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Oops!! I mean ya can’t read minds 😛
  • Rosalyn
    Rosalyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I mean I get why it’s nice to do it, but I also don’t want randos in the pictures lol
  • Jocelyn
    Expert August 2018 Ontario
    Jocelyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Im a "no ring/no bring" type too (or "not serious, no bring" as it goes for some!)
  • Courtney
    Super July 2018 Ontario
    Courtney ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Don't feel guilty! As a close friend he should understand where you're coming from.
  • Jen
    VIP June 2018 Ontario
    Jen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I had this same issue with one of my friends who just started dating this girl a few months ago. We ended up saying yes to him only because he needs to travel 1000's of kms to be at our wedding and doesn't have family here. We decided that for anybody who hasn't been in a relationship for at least a year that they weren't getting a +1. We shortly found out after that one of the cousins who were invited just got engaged too.. and nobody knew that they were even together for a years lol oops.

• Vanessa
    Expert August 2018 Manitoba
    Vanessa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My FH was putting a plus 1 by his single friends and I was like why? He’s like well they could bring so and so. I’m like no serious relationship no go. At the time of one of my cousins wedding my poppa was given a plus one and my grandma past away and he was gonna take my daughter so I could bring my boyfriend of a month so glad I didn’t. Let’s just say that didn’t last much longer and I met him before my FH.
  • Rosalyn
    Rosalyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Haha thanks!
  • Rosalyn
    Rosalyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you Rhea! Totally agree!
  • Rosalyn
    Rosalyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks!! You’re so right the seating is proving to be difficult
  • Jocelyn
    Expert August 2018 Ontario
    Jocelyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    In short; no
  • Rhea
    Curious February 2019 British Columbia
    Rhea ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I don't think you are wrong to not allow the plus 1 at all! Also, chances are he's going to know other people there since he's a close friend of yours so he doesn't need a date.

We are having a very small wedding and also not letting people have plus 1 unless it's a serious relationship. We also really like the idea of knowing all our guests since our wedding will be so small I definitely don't want to be meeting someone for the first time on my wedding day.
  • Jessica
    Super March 2018 Ontario
    Jessica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I completely agree with you. I ended up allowing a lot of people to bring +1s, and the seating chart is now proving to be difficult, and some of them, we're getting "I'm not sure anymore". Definitely stick to your gut. I think it was nice of you to say about someone declining an invite, but your welcome to stick with no.

• Holly
    VIP June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are the same. No one gets a plus one unless it's a actually serious commited relationship. No exceptions. Don't feel like the bad guy, it's your day and you can do whatever you want. If he gets upset about it honestly just tell him to get over it, there are other weddings he can take her too if they remain in a relationship. He is your friend and he should understand.
  • Kris
    Frequent user June 2018 British Columbia
    Kris ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

You aren't wrong. I think you are being very fair with letting those in serious relationships bring a plus one. And nice letting him know if someone declines he can bring the new girl. Stay strong and don't feel guilty over this Smiley smile

• Rosalyn
    Rosalyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you Emily!
  • Emily
    Devoted November 2018 Ontario
    Emily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    You are totally justified in your uneasiness! I've been to a wedding where I was the only one from our friend group allowed to bring a plus one, my now fiance (then boyfriend) because the couple wasn't comfortable with everyone else's plus ones. No one was angry about it and we all still had a lovely time. I'm going to be making similar rules for mine. I totally get not wanting a stranger there! Stay strong Smiley smile
  • Rosalyn
    Rosalyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks Maegan!
  • Rosalyn
    Rosalyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    It’s so difficult to stick to the plan! I’ve had some people tell me I was cruel for not allowing +1 unless it was a serious relationship. But if the person knows half of the people there it won’t be a boring day or anything. I would let him if he didn’t know anyone - but I also have a list of people I want to invite if we get some declines!

Good luck girl! I think people should/will understand!
  • Maegan
    Super July 2018 British Columbia
    Maegan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    You are not wrong at all! Guests lists have a way of growing and its hard when theres limitted space.
  • Ellen
    Curious October 2019 Ontario
    Ellen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

You're not wrong at all; I am in the same boat right now! I am trying to keep our numbers down, but the list just keeps getting longer and longer! Everyone says I just have to be firm but it is so hard, I don't want to disapoint anyone.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics