Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

M
Frequent user August 2020 Ontario

To hire a DJ or not to hire a DJ?

Msss, on August 12, 2019 at 15:38 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 12

Hello,

My partner and I have been on the fence about this for some time. He is learning towards a DJ and I am leaning towards a live band. I'm leaning towards a live band because most of our guests are of an older crowd who, as far as I have seen while I attended other functions, are less (to not) inclined to dance. We aren't even big dancers either. Are any of you (or have you) facing the same wondering? Is it the same? Am I overthinking it? (I tend to overthink everything).

Our wedding will be held at Casa Loma and the musical entertainment will take place in the conservatory.

12 Comments

Latest activity by Msss, on August 23, 2019 at 16:59
  • M
    Msss ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thank you to everyone for your replies! I really appreciate your insights and experiences. I love the idea of a live band given everything I stated but I do see your points regarding costs, continuity, and tastes. As of now we are leaning towards a DJ. I will follow up with our final decision for those who are experiencing the same dilemma or are just curious. Smiley smile

• Ashley
    VIP August 2020 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

It depends. If your basing it on price dj would be cheaper as with a live band youll have to feed them all, plus pay for rental equipment that they need like hooks and speakers and audio stuff. Also what happens if they need a break? There will be no break for any of them? Or if they do take a break will there be any music? Not sure how all that stuff works with a live band. Im getting a dj just cuz I want them to play a huge variety of music for our guests. but its up to you!

• M
    Curious August 2020 Ontario
    Meghan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We hired a DJ! Like others have commented it was a must-have for sure! We also saved money because we booked the same DJ for our Stag & Doe.

• B
    Frequent user July 2020 Saskatchewan
    Brett ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    For me a DJ was a must have.
  • Miav
    Devoted September 2020 Alberta
    Miav ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We would have gone for a live band if we have the budget for it Smiley smile but, we saved so much by hiring a DJ that will also double up as our MC so we are very satisfied with our decision

• Francesca
    Frequent user November 2020 Ontario
    Francesca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would definitely do a DJ! This way they will play a mix of music all your guests will enjoy. I find DJ's can liven up a party more then a live band has. But that is my opinion!

Best of luck Smiley smile

• M
    Msss ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thanks for replying!

Yes, I'm beginning to understand. It becomes a decision between personal preference and cost efficiency but I gather that the right DJ can certainly adhere to both. We just have to find the right one if we do decide to do that.

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

A DJ would be more cost efficient to hire since they can play all kinds of genres and songs for all guests to enjoy the dancing portion of the evening. Fast songs for the those who loves to boogie and slower for the elder generation. The cost covers the hours you hire them overall.

Bands are great if your favourite songs can be played or selection you like though the youngsters may feel bored rather than the elder generation enjoying it more to listen and dance to. This was done for one of my brothers event back in 2000. The set up for the family sitting down on the dance floor 2 sides of the Groom and Bride families each to be different. It was enjoyable though some guests that didn't understand it still danced a bit. The cost is about double for the time they offer to pay and more if you want extra hours and number of band members playing to consider that factor.

• M
    Msss ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks for replying!

That's a good idea; we'll keep that in mind.
  • Geneviève
    VIP September 2020 Ontario
    Geneviève ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Oh man, the look of a live band in the Case Loma Conservatory would be amazing!

That being said, I do understand the cost savings of a DJ. The warning I would give with the DJ is make sure they have a good variety available for your older guests. If you have music they'll enjoy, even if they don't dance, they'll still bop along to it and have a good time. The key is to get someone who can read your audience: Ten years ago. my cousin's wedding DJ didn't have any music pre-1980 and 80% of the guests were 40+. Needless to say it didn't go over well...

• M
    Msss ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Ah, good point about cost.

Thank you for replying! Smiley smile

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would say that for me and my FH it was a price thing. I would have loved to have a band - but they are like double the cost of a DJ and when they need breaks you end up without music or they will just put a recording on...

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics