Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Dana
Newbie July 2024 Manitoba

Tips for planning a backyard wedding!

Dana, on April 20, 2023 at 12:59 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 6
We’ve decided a backyard wedding is the perfect fit for us, and I’d love to hear tips and suggestions from those who have planned a mid-sized backyard wedding.

A couple pieces of info for context:- Estimating 65-75 guests, including 10 kids. Our total invite list is about 80.- I don’t know if we can get a tent in the space, but if we can fit one we will do so for the reception.- Planning for mid-September/early October 2024.- Ceremony and reception will both take place there.

6 Comments

Latest activity by Lilon, on August 1, 2023 at 08:02
  • Brittany
    Featured August 2023 Alberta
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Since you are in Manitoba, I suggest also getting heaters for outside. It gets chilly later into the evening and some people may start to get cold.

My biggest piece of advice is - don't expect this to be cheap.

Having a backyard wedding requires a lot of rentals like chairs, tables, generators, heaters (in the colder months like October) and AC in the warmer months (June - September), bathrooms, plates, cutlery, tent, service bar, sometimes people will add flooring, especially if it is uneven terrain - no one wants a broken ankle. These will all take a large portion of your budget and that doesn't include catering, alcohol, and photography which are usually the most expensive parts of the wedding.

• Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Permits. Almost everything requires it and could be enforced depending on where you are. Putting up a large tent requires a permit. If you're having a fire of any kind, or using any pyrotechnics, you'll definitely need a permit. Parking permits for your guests.

You'll also need power, likely by renting a generator so you don't have to run cables into the property. Your caterer will either need access to the kitchen inside the home or they'll need a power supply if they're doing all prep in the backyard. All the sound equipment and lights will need power. The bar will require power if they are operating refrigeration or an ice machine.

• Dana
    Dana ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yes! I’ve seen a few events where they rented a nice portable washroom facility. I think we’ll do that! One of the main reasons we’re going this way is so our kids can be nearby and neither of our parents have to leave early to care for the kids and put them to bed, so preventing people from going into the house unnecessarily is definitely a priority!
  • Dana
    Dana ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you! Definitely hoping to be able to use a tent - just need to have someone come measure it and ensure that’s an option. But they don’t have possession of their house yet so we can’t quite yet. I’m envisioning a clear-top tent with long family-style tables for our reception space. I definitely have a vision for it! ☺️

Need to figure out a caterer, and bartending services!
  • Kate
    Featured August 2022 Ontario
    Kate ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I agree with the below.

I would also be mindful of the washroom situation. I know portable toilets are not the prettiest but the washroom situation (well depending on how many you have inside for use) could be chaotic. Also, any noise bylaws within the area, and parking.

Sounds like a great, wholesome time, love backyard events! Smiley heart

• Mila
    Featured October 2023 Ontario
    Mila ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Would highly suggest a tent for the reception. It’s manageable if the weather is poor to have the ceremony moved, but having to move the reception at all could be chaotic.
    Not sure if it’s your plan already but having it catered.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics