Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Kelsey
Curious July 2022 Alberta

Tipping Vendors?

Kelsey, on July 25, 2022 at 16:19 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 6

Hi all,

We just had our wedding on Saturday and it was AMAZING! Honestly the perfect day, and we had an absolute blast. Now that it's over, I'm wondering if I should be e-transferring tip money to vendors. Our caterer, bar, and limo had a gratuity built in, but I'm wondering about the others.

Should I be tipping the others, such as makeup artists, hairstylists, florist, DJ, officant, and photographer? They all did a fantastic job but we paid lots for their services, I'm not sure if we're supposed to tip on top of that. If so, how much? Would love to hear your thoughts!

6 Comments

Latest activity by Vinod, on July 28, 2022 at 21:07
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    The services provided by the vendors didn't recieve a tip. I did hand them a Thank you card with the message of making our day special and to have them with us. We provided meals on our account as per the contract stated so that covered something towards it. The venue included gratuity charges so we didn't have to tip him. A little gift to give him as a token of our appreciation for the work of our wedding.
  • Amanda
    Curious November 2022 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    100% yes. We're having a family member in charge of tips on the day off and will be putting cash into envelopes with each vendor and their name on them to be discreetly handed to them at an appropriate time. MUA, photographer (will also be getting a baby gift as she recently became pregnant) donation to the chapel instead of a tip to the minster, florists and budgeting for an additional tip on top of the built in gratitudy for the restaurant where we are having our reception. I've worked in the service industry and strongly believe that's if you are happy with services provided a tip should be included.
  • C
    VIP September 2023 Ontario
    Carine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My venue included the tip for her team since they do everything.

I will be tipping my hair and makeup because that is something I would do on a regular day if I were to have that service fee.

Photographer I wasn't planning since he set the price to include his services and time.

I am tipping my baker since she's a friend and I know she will do an amazing job and I already have her booked to do three cakes for me next year.

I feel like service industries you would pay gratuity, like bartenders, waiters, hair and make up. Or like Brittany said unless your DJ acted as an MC and went above and beyond.

• C
    Super December 2020 Ontario
    Carmel ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Totally agree with what's been said - if they are employees, yes; if they are the business owner and you feel they deserve the tip. A Google review goes a long way too!! We did that for all of our vendors.
  • Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Vendors who set their own prices don't usually warrant a tip since they factored in all costs and their revenue in pricing out their services.

Vendors that employ contractors or staff that they send to service your wedding should be tipped.

For example, if your hair stylist and make up artist work for a salon and reports to a boss (the owner) who pays them a set wage, tip them (but ask for their personal info and don't wire money through the salon). If the artists are independent contractors who set their own prices, no need to tip.

• Brittany
    Featured August 2023 Alberta
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

It really depends.

When I got photos done I did not tip until I saw my photos. I was extremely pleased with them and I only tipped 10%.

Hair and make-up. Mine is built in the costs so I would tip the standard of about 15-18%.

As for the florist, DJ and officiant - I probably wouldn't unless they did something extraordinary that I didn't ask for. An example is even though you didn't pay for MC, did the DJ pretty much do the job.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics