Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Maya
Expert January 2019 Alberta

Tipping question

Maya, on July 17, 2018 at 07:17 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 10
So I’m just wondering about tipping:

So my venue has a 17% gratuity few already and we are having a cash bar. I think guests will tip for drinks, but I don’t think I need to tip on top of the gratuity do I?

photographer, DJ, and Videographer are all going to be getting a meal that I will pay 70 dollars for each so on top of that what should I be tipping?

If we are just renting the decor and having family put it up so we need to tip them?

Lastly, what about the cake vendor do we tip them as well and about how much?

10 Comments

Latest activity by Sydney, on July 20, 2018 at 12:49
  • Sydney
    Expert August 2018 Ontario
    Sydney ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I definitely would not tip the venue as it's already included. Most people will tip the bartenders when they go to get a drink, so I'm sure they will be well taken care of!

Photographer/DJ/Videographer is a pure preference. As you said, you are already providing them with a meal. At that point, it's more about how you feel towards their performance/work. If they've done a great job, an extra gratuity will be appreciated.

• Maya
    Maya ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Lol yes we will have ours clearly marked and on the table with our card box. Thanks for the suggestions.
  • Maya
    Maya ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you for your suggestion.
  • Brittany
    British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Gratuity is just the fancy word for tip. It's already included, don't worry about it.

I look at it as: if it's a service (DJ, Photographer), consider a tip. Not much, but based off their performance, so to speak... if it's a product (Baker, Florist, Entertainment), then no tip.

Word to the wise, if you are having a cash bar, your venue will probably permit tip jars for their employees, but many also don't, because it can appear a little tacky at weddings... My cousins also had a honeymoon jar, and they had it at the bar... people confused the two jars, and people were really upset when they found out they accidentally vastly over tipped the bartender... some people even awkwardly asked for their tip back to put it in the Honeymoon jar... You may not be doing this, but if you are, make sure yours is clearly marked... haha.

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My view on tipping vendors would be not needed because you have paid for their services and meals.

Personally, when i looked at the extra money we didn't have, a card was given to them all.

The venue is already charging you the gratuity tip. Photographer, videographer and DJ are getting a paid meal, i find thats more than enough tp give on top. Decor i say no because your doing it yourself. Cake isn't needed to tip for the baker since they delivered as o had the same service.

Overall, the thank you cards made that much more of a personal difference to give them all.
  • Gina
    Super April 2019 Alberta
    Gina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    It depends on if they are the owner or an employee. If the DJ is an employee (they often are) I would say $50-$100. They often say you don’t tip if the photographer is the owner. But we will. Our photographer owns the business. Our package is $2500. Plus 2 nights hotel (destination wedding) plus $250 travel. On top of that, she will get dinner and drinks (so will her husband if he comes, our offer) BUT she was willing to change our package once we decided to have a destination wedding. Our original package was $3600 (second shooter) and she let us change it all around. So it ends up being a little less then the original package. So we will give her $100 in the welcome card in her room. I think if you’re really happy with them the day of, you could have $50 in an envelope to Give at the end of the night.
  • Maya
    Maya ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks for the suggestions Bianca.
  • Maya
    Maya ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    It will be from a bakery, it has to be made in a commercial kitchen my venue has stated. I’m not sure yet if they will deliver yet, possibly.

But for dj, photographer and videographer how much do we tip on top of the 70 dollar dinner?
  • Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I like this article to help guide how to tip. I think there's some on there to ignore (if your venue provides food, you're not tipping a "caterer"). Also, if an individual owns their own business, I wouldn't tip (unless they're spectacular) and just provide them with glowing reviews online.

• Gina
    Super April 2019 Alberta
    Gina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    This is just my opinion!
    venue - nope. You’re already tipping with the gratuity.
    DJ- Photograher- videographer- yes. Especially if you’re happy with them, I would tip.
    decor rentals - no, especially since you’re doing all the work.
    cake- depends. Is it a bakery or a personal business? Are they delivering it? If it’s a personal business then a tip would definitely be appreciated. And you could always tip the delivery driver if their dropping it off and setting it up.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics