Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Corrissa
Curious June 2022 Ontario

Tipping after buying a dress

Corrissa, on July 10, 2020 at 12:11 Posted in Wedding fashion 0 15
Hey guys!! I bought my dress yesterday! Yay!! When I went to put my deposit down, there was a option to Tip..I didn’t even know that was a thing? How much are you supposed to tip your wedding gown consultant? 🤷🏻‍♀️

15 Comments

Latest activity by Christiana, on August 12, 2021 at 15:33
  • Christiana
    Super November 2020 British Columbia
    Christiana ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I have never heard of this. Most consultants will be making commission on top of their hourly salary. I just can’t even imagine having to tip after spending potentially thousands of dollars on a piece of clothing 😱
  • Laura
    Frequent user August 2022 Ontario
    Laura ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I've never heard of this! My sister and I both did not tip our consultants, and I asked 5 or 6 of my friends (all in the GTA, different budgets, different bridal salons) and none of them did either!

• E
    Newbie April 2022 Wisconsin
    Elizabeth ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I would never think of NOT tipping my dress consultant unless I didn’t buy a dress. I guess my thinking (and that of my family) is that if you can’t afford to tip, then you shouldn’t even be buying. I tipped my consultant $100 cash, even though that’s pretty small compared to what I paid for the dress.

I’m going to remember this moment for the rest of my life, and sure, maybe she did make a commission off my dress purchase (although generally they don’t) but if she did, then more power to her. Everyone’s working to make ends meet and after getting to know her (and not just vice versa) I wanted to give her something extra within my own means. I probably would’ve spent the $100 on UberEats anyways so at least it’s going somewhere more deserving than my belly 😅.
  • Amelia
    Master October 2020 New Brunswick
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I've definitely never heard of that before! I would hope that consultants are paid enough for their knowledge and abilities that they wouldn't need tips.
  • Savannah
    Frequent user April 2020 Ontario
    Savannah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I didn’t tip when I got my dress, honestly surprised that was even an option when you purchased! I believe that the consultants get commission from a sale, so when I went for my second appointment to try on the dress I picked the first time to make sure it was the one I ensured my appointment was made with the same consultant so she would still benefit from me as a customer.
  • A
    Super September 2020 Ontario
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Oh man it threw me off when the machine had the option for mine too so I actually asked the consultant (who was the manager) what was standard. She said 10%, so I did. Mind you, it turned out she was super shady and the store closed in March so I don't know how reliable that information is.

• Corrissa
    Corrissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Thanks everyone! Ya it totally caught me off guard!
  • Carling
    Frequent user November 2021 Ontario
    Carling ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Yeah I definitely did not tip when buying my dress either
  • Amanda
    Featured August 2022 British Columbia
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I defiantly didn't tip when I bought my dress last year.

• Corrissa
    Corrissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Good to know !!
  • Corrissa
    Corrissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yah, I thought it was weird
  • Corrissa
    Corrissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yah I thought so as well!! Hmmm
  • Geneviève
    VIP September 2020 Ontario
    Geneviève ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I know neither my FW nor I tipped when we bought our dresses. That doesn’t sound like the usual experience since most consultants do get commission on top of their salary.
  • L
    Curious September 2020 Ontario
    Lindsey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I definitely did not tip and there was no tip option!
  • Christiana
    Super November 2020 British Columbia
    Christiana ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

This does not seem like the type of service that warrants a tip. Most bridal consultants should be working on a salary plus commission basis.

I'm fairly certain that the store I bought my dress from did not have a tip prompt and even if it did I don't think I would have given a tip. Very strange.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics