Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Bethany
Super July 2018 Alberta

Tipping?

Bethany, on November 27, 2017 at 23:58 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 25
Who is everyone tipping?

I have an idea of who I should- makeup artist, cake baker, caterer, hair stylist?
Anyone for the photographer, bartenders, or DJ?
What did everyone else do who has had weddings? What does everyone plan on doing who is having their wedding in the near future?

25 Comments

Latest activity by Vinod, on December 20, 2017 at 11:30
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Jen889,
    I would have to say the same cause i didn't have extra money to tip and i Personally gave all my vendors a thank you card. They had appreciated it a lot. For those tipping, 15% seems the same amount your paying for the tax on top of the service the vendors are providing. Give something than nothing.
  • Bethany
    Super July 2018 Alberta
    Bethany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    No I totally understand what you are coming from. I just don't want to insult them by not tipping the standard 15%. This is so difficult!
  • Victoria
    Expert November 2019 Ontario
    Victoria ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I think that with a business with precarious hours and payment like photography or hair (services that rely on bookings), cash tips are more appropriate. I see it as they are not compensated the same way as other careers are/don’t receive the same kind of benefits, so the cash is to compensate for those kinds of things. This being said I’m not a photographer or esthetician so idk what would truly be appreciated! This is just what I know from my education in social justice Smiley smile I’m sure anything is appreciated.
  • Bethany
    Super July 2018 Alberta
    Bethany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I am contemplating maybe a gift basket! I don't want to insult her because I don't want to tip her not enough lol so difficult!!
  • Holly
    Expert June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yeah I plan to tip my photographer too. Just haven't decided how much yet.

• Bethany
    Super July 2018 Alberta
    Bethany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yes that's what I figured! I was thinking maybe a card and a gift card to a nice restaurant or something? Or a nice spa basket or something cute like that?
  • Victoria
    Victoria ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Absolutely. I think anyone in an independently business with precarious hours/who is providing individualized service deserves a tip IMO. May not be a full 15% tho. I don’t think that’s totally necessary for a pricey service, but I’ll be giving some sort of token if appreciation
  • Bethany
    Super July 2018 Alberta
    Bethany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Oh that sounds awesome! I'm so unsure about tipping certain services though! Like will you tip your photographer too? And would you be doing 15% or just a card with a gift card or something?
  • Bethany
    Super July 2018 Alberta
    Bethany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Will you tip your photographer as well? If you don't mind me asking!! I feel like I'm already paying a lot and don't know if I can afford paying a 15% tip.
  • Bethany
    Super July 2018 Alberta
    Bethany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I'm not really sure! This is hard!! Haha that's what I was thinking about for the photographer too! I was wanting to tip the cake maker I think!
  • Holly
    Expert June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think all services should get a tip, not all should get the same amount but we definitely will be giving each of our services a tip. I'm even tipping our venue because she is doubling as a wedding planner for the whole month as well as giving us access to the venue for the whole week!
  • Victoria
    Victoria ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think ALL services should be tipped, always. No ifs, ands or buts.

Only exception would probably be the venue, but we will be tipping the servers/bartenders.

• M
    Expert July 2018 Alberta
    Marina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Should we tip all vendors?!? I was thinking that the photographer, cake maker etc own their own businesses, so I wouldn’t tip them. Is it really that expected?!?
  • Bethany
    Super July 2018 Alberta
    Bethany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yes definitely agree! As soon as something has wedding in it, it inflates the price like crazy! And okay sounds great! Thank you cards sound like a really good idea and recommendations on social media outlets will probably be most appropriate.
  • Bethany
    Super July 2018 Alberta
    Bethany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    My venue is just a hall in the country so we don't really have a bunch of aspects included in them like some weddings in the city have. That's why I'm super unsure of who to tip! And okay! Glad I'm not the only one who thinks 15% is a little much! I was planning on tipping hair and makeup or giving them a gift. But I'm unsure of our photographer as we've already payed quite a bit of money for it. I definitely love the photos! But 15% for over $3000 is a tad expensive I think lol
  • Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I’d recommend speaking with whomever you booked your venue with (some venues already include tips within the price), and as for hair and makeup artists, a tip will ALWAYS be appreciated, therefore I’d say tip them.

As for the DJ and whatnot, 15% is a little steep, so I’d say tip appropriately according to what you can afford.

Good luck!
  • Jen889
    Devoted May 2018 Quebec
    Jen889 ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Most clients don't as they know it's my business. People don't tip the business owner as all the profit goes to us directly. When I go to a spa for a treat I do tip the girls as I know how much they make and they rely on tips. It's all about balance. For weddings, I think it's blown out of proportion. Usually, we are already paying more as it's a wedding. Vendors tend to raise prices when they hear the word wedding.

I think a thank you card is appropriate. It's what I will be doing. Business wise, I would prefer a thank you card over a tip as it's personal, just as I would prefer a recommendation over a tip.
  • Bethany
    Super July 2018 Alberta
    Bethany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    People don't tip you in your business? I've always been taught etiquette when it comes to spa things. I'm very surprised that many people do not tip. But I totally understand where you are coming from in respect to pricing things accordingly! From a business perspective, would it be appropriate for me to give a thank you card thanking them for their services the day of the wedding? Or would that be weird? I just feel like I need to do something other than just booking their services, if you know what I mean? Thank you for your opinion! It is much appreciated!
  • Jen889
    Devoted May 2018 Quebec
    Jen889 ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    The tipping etiquette in North America is insane! If the person works for themselves, they have priced their product accordingly and therefore don't need to rely on a tip. If the person is there from a company they are already getting paid to be there, why are you tipping? Do you too retail staff? No. And that's how it should be looked at. I own my own spa, I'm a solo esthetician and my prices are built that I don't need to rely on tips and most people don't.

I won't be tipping anyone except for the caterer as its included in the price and they have wait staff so the minimum wage is lower as they rely on tips. The other is the limo driver, which is also already included in the price. That being said all of our vendors run their own business. My "thank you" is the fact that I've already booked you as I found your work/food/service wonderful and I will recommend you like crazy to everyone. It spans back to pricing accordingly.

I know my view is seen as rude. But from a business owner point of view, it's the one that makes sense to me.
  • Bethany
    Super July 2018 Alberta
    Bethany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    No I definitely know what you mean!! It adds up quick so totally understand where you are coming from! I honestly believe tipping is great etiquette but I also don't want to have to spend an arm and a leg on tipping when that money could have gotten me a videographer and photo booth. And I agree I don't want to seem cheap either! I think I may tip the bartenders at the end of the night though (depending on the quality of their work, but it's still hard to allocate how much lol)
  • Victoria
    Beginner September 2018 Ontario
    Victoria ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Following!

I'm confused on tipping for sure! When the photographer charges 1000$ and the DJ charges $600 you should tip 15% on top of this? Including the venue who supplies bar and wait staff? If I tip 15% off of 20000$ it's $3000! Even though it's a service you are paying for. I get the hair and the makeup, others I'm confused about! So any light shed would be great!

Im also not trying to cheap out or anything, just trying to budget accordingly and both family and friends weren't sure it was a thing!
  • Bethany
    Super July 2018 Alberta
    Bethany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Oh okay!! What kind of gifts if you don't mind me asking? In some ways I feel like I need to tip some vendors but others not so much. But I'm not so sure! Every time I go to my nail tech I tip her or to get my hair done. So I'm thinking maybe the ones who are working physically on us (makeup, hair, and nails maybe?).
  • Bethany
    Super July 2018 Alberta
    Bethany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Okay thanks!! How much does the average person tip? Around 15% or generally more? I'm just thinking like restaurant etiquette or is there a limit? I don't exactly feel comfortable tipping 15% for $3000 if you know what I mean? That might mean I need to reevaluate my budget lol
  • Joey
    WeddingWire Admin May 2015 Maryland
    Joey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Personally I can only offer you my American perspective, where we tip just about everyone, all the time, lol!

Professionally, I can refer you to the WeddingWire ultimate tipping guide to help point you in the right direction.

• Ashley
    Expert March 2018 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My cousin works as a wedding coordinator and she said that she very rarely receives tips and never expects them, she said that all the vendors agree as well.

We wont be giving tips, however I am giving my hairdresser a small gift because she is taking a day off of work to do my hair for the wedding.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics