Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Lena
Newbie July 2018 Ontario

Tipping??

Lena, on July 13, 2018 at 12:38 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 12

Hello,

I'm not sure whom I should be tipping. The reception fee already includes gratuities. Who else should I be putting tip money aside for?

Thanks!

12 Comments

Latest activity by Marcia, on July 14, 2018 at 12:06
  • Marcia
    Super August 2018 Manitoba
    Marcia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I won't be tipping any of our vendors, our reception already includes a tip, I will be sending them a thank you card!

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Great minds think alike!
  • Tyanna
    Super June 2019 British Columbia
    Tyanna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    You said exactly what I was going to say
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Tipping wasn't an option foe us as all the vendors were paid for their services. The only thing we gave the vendors including our bakery was a thank you card. They were happy with that.
  • Angel
    Frequent user June 2019 British Columbia
    Angel ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

In the Chinese culture, we're suppose to be handing out red pockets in lieu of tipping. The red pocket is lucky money, symbolizing that we're passing on the luck. I have budgeted about $850 just for these red pockets alone! I will be giving one to each of the helpers of the wedding (set up, MC, wedding party, wedding coordinator) plus our make up artist and photographer. Standard amount is $50/person.

• Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Ditto to everything here this is EXACTLY what I'm doing!

I like the way you mentioned offering a service vs. product! Super easy way to remember!

• Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Everyone pretty much got it on the nose (especially Kay) when it comes to tipping properly, and how to show appreciation.
  • Kay
    Devoted September 2018 Nova Scotia
    Kay ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I was told by vendors locally, that you tip if the person providing the service is not the owner. For example, my photographer, make-up/hair stylist, and both decorators all own their businesses and are the ones who are coming to provide the services. So I would not be expected to tip. I will be having my wedding at a restaurant, so there is a 20% gratuity attached to the food ordered, but I suspect not for the drinks (I need to confirm that actually!), but if it isn't, I would be tipping the bartender. Smiley smile

I will be giving each of my vendors a thank you card on the day, along with one of our favors we are giving each of our guests. I suspect this would be sufficient.

• Courtney
    Super July 2018 Ontario
    Courtney ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

So we only tipped for the following:

- Hair stylist

- Make up Artist

- Limo Driver (just realized we didn't tip the one at the end of the night. TOTALLY forgot. We only tipped the day time guy)

Our florist, videographer and photographer all own their own businesses, so I didnt feel the need to tip on top of that. However, I have left all of them glowing reviews and referred other brides to them.

Our DJ we didn't tip either, but again, left glowing reviews.

That's all we tipped!

• Lena
    Newbie July 2018 Ontario
    Lena ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

How much is customary to tip?

• Brittany
    British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

If someone is providing a SERVICE, not product (Florist, for example), tipping is appreciated. If gratuity is already included (catering/venue), then additional tipping is not necessary, but if they go above and beyond, that's up to you.

Your DJ, Hair/Makeup Stylist(s), Photographer, Officiant, Bartenders (if not included with venue gratuity)... Perhaps your wedding planner, if you have one... but for the most part, any entertainment or decor companies, it's not as necessary, and more to your discretion.

• Stephanie
    Curious August 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Following this discussion! We will tip the bartenders for sure and I am going to tip my hair and make up lady.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics