Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Kayla
Newbie October 2022 Ontario

Tip for vendors

Kayla, on September 8, 2022 at 11:35 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 6
Typically what is the costume to tip the vendors? I am at a lost as to the amount we need to save for the tips

6 Comments

Latest activity by Tunisha, on September 8, 2022 at 20:42
  • Tunisha
    Super October 2021 Ontario
    Tunisha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Hello Kayla,
    I would say it depends on how well they did their job. I can’t recall if we tipped and how much. But it’s your discretion.
  • Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I will note, just because tips aren't required certainly doesn't mean they aren't appreciated by the vendor if given them. It's up to your discretion.

• Kate
    Featured August 2022 Ontario
    Kate ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I have to share on this because I have some regrets...

So I kept reading the general rule of thumb as Hank mentioned above if the vendor is a sole proprietor...etc. etc. but really pretty much all of our vendors with the exception of the catering staff, were all owners of their own companies and I just did not feel right not tipping them. I also could not afford the standard percentage based amounts based on the totals so I came up with an amount of $50.00 each in an envelope with a thank you card. This included: 4 staffing members from the catering company, make up stylist, hair stylist, two band members, and photographer (did not tip florist as they dropped the flowers off earlier in the day and I was not at the venue at the time).

I do believe tipping should be an added bonus and a thank you card and a great review I do believe go a long way if tipping is not in the budget BUT, after the hair stylist and make up artist were done with our group I wish I had tipped them more, maybe $100.00 each as they were amazing and so friendly. Also the band was amazing and I wish I had tipped them $100.00 each but I could not have known this before hand and wanted to have it all ready to go so I settled on the same amount for everyone.

I think at the end of the day you should do what you are comfortable with and not what society says but if you are really happy with the service it's a nice gesture to give something : )

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Tips are given to hair/make up stylists, bar tenders unless they set up a jar for guests to give other than you, and others who are not employed by the owner. Tip amounts can vary depending on the vendors as well. There is a youtube video based on this as well, check it out.

• Kayla
    Newbie October 2022 Ontario
    Kayla ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you so much 😊
  • Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

In general, if the vendor is a sole proprietor who sets their own prices for their own work, tips aren't required as their rates should cover all their costs. But if the vendor is an employee of a company who assigns them jobs, a 15% tip for good service would be the norm.

Caterers usually expect a 15% tip if a service fee is not built into the contract. You should also tip any bar staff if service fees are not built in.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics