Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Chantal
Newbie August 2023 Alberta

Timeline Advice

Chantal, on October 3, 2022 at 12:17 Posted in Plan a wedding 1 7

Hello!

We are getting married in August 2023 and I am trying to come up with a rough timeline for the day. The ceremony and reception are at the same venue and pictures will be able to take place at the venue as well as they have lots of gorgeous outdoor space! My main concern is how much time we need for pictures between the ceremony and reception. We aren't planning on doing a first look, so all pictures would take place after the ceremony. Currently I am thinking the ceremony would be at 2 or 2:30 and the reception would start around 5 (there are lots of lawn games available so guests will have things to do during the break). Is that enough time for pictures? Or too much time? Would love to hear how you other brides are structuring the day! Thanks!

7 Comments

Latest activity by Vinod, on November 10, 2022 at 13:07
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Our wedding took place at 4:30pm and started our getting ready shots and all the details at 1pm. We took about 45 minutes for group pictures after the ceremony itself and family shots. Wedding party also got time with us for photos beforehand and one after the ceremony. You seem to have a lot of time in between for pictures as we planned a 6:00 reception timing. It still gave us ample time too.

• C
    VIP September 2023 Ontario
    Carine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I have my photographer for 5 hours, so I am getting him to show up at 2:30 to get pictures of me and the girls getting ready and the ceremony starts at 3. I would discuss this with your photographer and the venue so you both have your timelines.

• C
    Super December 2020 Ontario
    Carmel ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I would 100% ask your photographers about this based on the photos you want. Ours did our timeline as well. They will have your best answer as professionals!
  • Malyssa
    Expert October 2022 Alberta
    Malyssa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I know you will get some great advice from the folks here, but I will say, for us, our vendors were a HUGE help in setting the timeline. My photographer did alot of the timing, as they know how long photos will take with what we are after. Then our venue vendor helped with alot of our evening planning.

But if I recall, we are allotting about 4 hours for photos, however, we are doing first looks and only having about 30 mins of photos post ceremony before reception starts, so doing as much in those 4 hours as possible. We also have a smaller wedding party and family so I think we will manage all that in that time.

• Amanda
    Featured August 2022 British Columbia
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We had our wedding at the same place and we did our ceremony at 330pm with cocktail hour from 5-6 and dinner was at 610pm. We did family photos right after the ceremony with our group photo of all of our guests. And then moved onto our main wedding photos from 430pm-6pm as well as Golden hour photos at 755pm
  • Julie
    Featured May 2023 Ontario
    Julie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Great question. Our ceremony/reception is in the same location as well. Our ceremony is at 4pm to 4:30pm. We have a group / guest photo right after there ceremony with Cocktails starting at 5pm and dinner at 6pm. The venue told us they need 15 minutes to get the cocktail room ready for our guests (hence the group photo to keep them all busy Smiley smile ). We are leaving the venue for photos, to a park which is only 10 mins away and since it's just the two of us, and my FH hates pictures, I say we have plenty of time (45 minutes to an hour).

• Kate
    Featured August 2022 Ontario
    Kate ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think this is such an important question! I can't relate because we did a reception party/evening that went from 5pm-11pm HOWEVER, I did attend a friends wedding and the ceremony was at 4, lasted no more than 20-25 minutes, from there they did photos and dinner did not come out until 6:30...

They did have some lawn games outside, and the venue was outdoors and it was a nice day so it was great to mingle however I do feel like it was a lot of time in between for guests to wait. I'm sure she was given a certain amount of time for photos and no one would want to rush that but for me, the momentum slowed down with so much wait time in between.

2 hours might be standard for in between not sure? but as a guest it felt like a while...

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics