Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Victoria
Newbie October 2019 Ontario

Thoughts on a Friday Wedding?

Victoria, on November 15, 2018 at 10:01 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 15
Just wanted to know the thoughts of having a wedding on a Friday evening versus the traditional weekend wedding. FH and I want a really small wedding and dinner so wanted to plan for Friday October 18th 2019. The ceremony wouldnt start til 4:30/5 so it can nicely draw into the reception dinner.

thank you !

15 Comments

Latest activity by Monica, on November 17, 2018 at 17:43
  • Monica
    Devoted June 2019 Ontario
    Monica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We’re having our wedding on a Friday! About 200 people coming, but mostly from town - we wanted the weekend to relax as well lol
  • Kaisha
    Super March 2019 Nova Scotia
    Kaisha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

The only reason we didn't look at a non traditional day like Friday was because 90% of our guests will have to travel so a Saturday wedding would mean they may not have to take any time off. If most of your guests are local I think its a great idea.

• Rachael
    Super October 2019 Ontario
    Rachael ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We're getting married the same day! Smiley smile

Friday should be fine! Guests will only have to take the one day off so it really shouldn't be a big deal.

• Tatiana
    Expert April 2018 Ontario
    Tatiana ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think Friday weddings work. Just be aware that some people will be late depending on your location. My bestie had hers on a Friday and traffic in the GTA to get to the venue was the worst, most everyone arrived at 6-6:30pm. All us girls took the afternoon off too so we could beautify lol.

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Our wedding was on a Friday and it worked out great. The timing was the same at 4:30pm and the rest was left to enjoy.

Pricing for saturdays are more expensive due to being a weekend.
  • Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are doing a Friday!!! Hasnt caused any issues for us at all and has actually saved us money more times than once!! Friday weddings are considered "off season" so vendors give good discounts!! Also gives a full 2 days to recover after haha!
  • Robyn
    Super June 2019 Ontario
    Robyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think Fridays are great - if we could have gotten our church, I would have done the same.

• Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    If that’s what you want, have it on a Friday. We’re doing ours on a long weekend Sunday so it’s absolutely non-traditional and A few of our guests have had plenty to say about it.
  • Jennifer
    Super July 2019 Ontario
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

For us. the only way we were doing a Friday wedding if it was a significant savings. as I didn't think it was fair to have family/friends take off more time from work than necessary. we have a LOT of guests that are from out of town. and a lot of our wedding party. we are having a larger wedding (180-200 invited). the savings at most of the venues here was 500-800. not very much (whereas my BFF saved over 3K by having a Friday wedding)

with having it later in the afternoon that helps too. so guests nearby wouldn't necessarily need to take a whole day off.

• Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I’m getting married the day after you (the 19th)!
    I can see Friday weddings working out if the majority of your guests are in town. For me, 75% are out of town so most of my guests will have to take Friday off work to travel and I didn’t want them to have to take off Thursday too.
  • Brittany
    British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think Friday weddings for a smaller wedding is totally fine. Especially an evening wedding. If you're being budget conscious, it's definitely one of the best ways to save $$. Taking one day, or even just a half day, off work won't be a big deal to a smaller, close knit group of guests.

I would suggest considering a First Look & photos before the ceremony, so you can have the ceremony segway right into the reception/dinner.

• Alexandra
    VIP November 2019 British Columbia
    Alexandra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    A Friday wedding is totally fine, I personally would love to go out on a Friday night after work to a wedding (and I don’t work mon-fri). One thing I would recommend if you can is just pushing back the start time an hour. Just to give everyone a little more time to get all dressed up! If you can’t it won’t make that much of a difference but if you can it would probably work in your favour!
  • Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I will be having my wedding on a Saturday - but if I didn't have guests that were traveling from out of town I would definitely have put it on a Friday. So keep in mind that if you have anybody traveling that they may decline or just not be very happy about taking a day off to make it. That and the later the better as if they are all in the same city as you, they may still need time to drive home after work, have a shower, get dressed up, and then drive out to the ceremony site.

Now, all that aside - Congrats on the engagement and welcome to the wedding wire community!!

• Victoria
    Newbie October 2019 Ontario
    Victoria ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    That was exactly our thought too! Glad I'm not the only one. Thank you for your reply!
  • Casey
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Our wedding will be on a Friday. Personally for us we wanted to have the rest of the weekend to relax. It is also cheaper at our venue for a Friday, and there is no minimum amount of guests needed where as Saturday weddings there is a minimum for each room.

We are doing a later ceremony (5pm) and dinner will start around 6.

It gives the guests a Friday night out, instead of taking up their weekend too!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics