Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Alina
Newbie September 2022 Ontario

Thoughts about a weekday wedding...

Alina, on June 16, 2022 at 13:37 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 32

Hello community,

Has anyone done a weekday evening ceremony + reception? My fiancee is of an opinion that it's not a good idea as people have to work the next day, whereas I think it's rather odd to pay almost $3,000-$5,000 more for a Friday or Saturday. Considering that funds are coming only from the two of us.

What do you think? Open to all feedback and much appreciated

32 Comments

Latest activity by Alana, on July 21, 2022 at 15:22
  • Alana
    Curious September 2024 Quebec
    Alana ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Oh that's great to hear! Good luck to you too and have fun!

• Alina
    Alina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hey Alana,

We signed with the venue for a Thursday and so far rather happy with it. We don't have any friends or families coming out of town. All are about 30-40 minutes away from Toronto. So we bought into Thursday and saved about 30% across all vendors. Best of luck to you and happy planning!

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Friday is when we got married and worked out great. Everyone enjoyed themselves and headed home Saturday. Surprisingly, saturday costs more than friday and sunday.
  • Alana
    Curious September 2024 Quebec
    Alana ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Hey Alina,
    This is also at the top of my mind too! We are thinking of a Thursday wedding, but since we have family flying in and driving in, my fiancé thinks it would be better to do a weekend ceremony. Guess we will see what our cost estimates are but yeah inflation and demand is having a big impact on the costs.
  • D
    Devoted September 2022 Alberta
    Derek ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My fiancee's nephew is doing this later this year. Unfortunately it's going to result in a lot of us not being able to attend (my fiancee & me included), owing both to the long drive from town and the fact that it's mid-week, resulting in both of us having to work the next day.

• Rayanne
    Master June 2022 Ontario
    Rayanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I was so tired by 11pm on my wedding day I couldn't wait for everyone to leave 🤣🤣🤣...the venue was nice and kept our bar open for an extra half hour....I left and guests took advantage of the extra time.
  • KELLY
    Super October 2023 Ontario
    KELLY ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Since we are paying for everything ourselves, we wanted to have as many people on our list as we could but not break the bank so when we compared Friday to Saturday it was a no brainer for us.
  • Alina
    Alina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Meaning it was $5,000 cheaper? Oh boy. And I'm getting a sense that next year it will be $5,000 more on top of last years.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

• Alina
    Alina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

And it's not just the venues that are more expensive, it is everything; photographer, flowers, wedding coordinators/planners. Just because of the higher demand days... Yeah, sorry folks, not my cup of tea.

Thanks for your input! And happy planning!

• Alina
    Alina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

My exact thoughts on it. Plus, we wan't the wedding on more casual side, intimate and personal. I am very happy with a Thursday, yet my partner is on the other side of the fence.
    Thanks for your input!

• Daily
    Expert August 2022 Ontario
    Daily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Hi Alina, like my mother in law and coworkers said people who cares about you and want to be there for you, they will be there at your wedding. I am having a Thursday wedding in August. My mother was so against it at first. Who has a Thursday wedding? Who’s going to be there? I’m only having 70 adults and 8 kids but not all the adults are RSVP yet. You are right if I were to go with a Saturday or Friday I think will cost us 80 or more per person whereas Thursday is 45 per person. I think depends on the people you invite. I will start my ceremony at 5pm and I think everything should be done by 9:30-10. There’s a part of me that want a big party, people on the dance floor. Another part of me just want a sit back and relax wedding.😂😂😂
  • V
    Beginner July 2022 Saskatchewan
    Vhjbg ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Hello, we are having ceremony and reception on Thursday, if guests will have trouble attending they will let you know but your loved ones and friends will make it work if they want to be there for you on your special day🥰
  • Alina
    Alina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I've also been reading about the inflation skyrocketing the wedding venues/vendors prices.

• KELLY
    Super October 2023 Ontario
    KELLY ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I completely understand about the weekend pricing. We booked last year, and the difference in pricing then was about $5000. We decided to have a Friday afternoon ceremony followed by our reception at the same location. People who can make it will- we booked for 90 people but only expect about 40 at the ceremony

• C
    VIP September 2023 Ontario
    Carine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

The people who want to be there will be there no matter what, if it's on a Saturday people book off the Friday to be able to travel and take advantage of the long weekend, so if it's a weekday they will either book 2 days or book 3. Again the people who want to see you get married will take the time off, if not they will take the one day off and just go to work the next day.

I think people do weddings on weekends to be more flexible for everyone.

• Jessica
    Newbie August 2023 Alberta
    Jessica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I am planning to do this as well! It seems like a great, cheaper option. The way we see it is if someone doesn’t want to come to our wedding because they have to work the next morning meaning they can’t get obscenely drunk, then I don’t want them at the wedding anyways. It would definitely be more difficult if you plan to have a ton of out of town guests though.
  • Christine
    Newbie August 2022 British Columbia
    Christine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm doing a wednesday wedding this summer, it will be super small and intimate with only about 20 people.
    But we are doing a larger celebration/reception on the weekend for closer to 60 guests. Where we've booked a local space and have rented all the things we will need (tables/chairs, etc)

• Kelsey
    Frequent user August 2022 Alberta
    Kelsey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think you would need to be prepared for people not to be able to attend. Especially if they are coming from out of town. For me, if it wasn't an put of town destination, I would attend but leave pretty early. Or if it was on a Thursday maybe take the Friday off? It would also depend on the times of the events. Could I still work and then attend the reception in the evening but miss the ceremony?

I don't think there's anything wrong with a weekday, but there are just some things you need to consider. I would reach out to the top 10 people you would want and the wedding and see what they think also. If you have someone who can't take the time off work to be there, then you'll need to consider that also.
    Happy planning!
  • Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Supply and demand. There are simply more people who want weekend dates because they can have a full day event. There is little demand for a mid-week/weeknight wedding so venues charge less.

• Alina
    Alina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

To me it's rather strange why weekends should be more expensive, and not just a few grands more but at times it's a quarter more of the total price. And I struggle to understand why; same number of guests per service, same catering, no more no less...

• Danielle
    Curious August 2022 Alberta
    Danielle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think a weekday wedding is a wonderful idea if you are having a more intimate and small wedding. However, to be honest, I wouldn't attend a weekday wedding unless it was a very close family member or friend as I would likely need to take 2 working days off of work. I would want to enjoy the party and not have to worry about being tired for work the next day.

The pro is that the cost is cut dramatically for the couple which is lovely. Another option is to consider a Friday or Sunday wedding to cut costs. Friday is still technically the weekday but it starts the weekend. Do what works for you and your fiancé! Smiley smile

• Rayanne
    Master June 2022 Ontario
    Rayanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I would definitely go to a close friend or family members weekday wedding but I would not for a more casual friend. I think a weekday wedding is a good way to make sure only your nearest and dearest come. You may end up with a smaller wedding but they are perfect to me anyway. Seems like a win-win, smaller guest count, save money, weekday pricing, save even more.
  • Dessa
    Frequent user September 2023 British Columbia
    Dessa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I believe you can choose any day..after all it's your wedding!! I'd be happy to attend any wedding no matter the day if I could make it work. Plus saving alot of cash is always a consideration. We chose a Sunday so we can have our rehearsal party on the Friday and have a day between without too many obligations AND get a good night sleep the day before the big day!! 😆 Also it's a full weekend for our out of town guests. Have fun planning!!
  • Amanda
    Featured August 2022 British Columbia
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Absolutely! My fiance and I were kinda thinking the same thing when we had to rebook twice and this last time was for a Sunday, but in the end it's yours and your future husband day and not anyone elses.

• Farrah
    Curious April 2023 British Columbia
    Farrah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Nothing wrong with a weekday wedding! Just be prepared that some people may leave a bit earlier. I went to a Wednesday wedding last year and had lots of fun! I had to work the next day so I left but my fiance took the next day off so he partied til the end!

• Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

There's absolutely nothing wrong with it but like any event, even a weekend wedding, you have to set expectations accordingly. A weeknight wedding means a later ceremony start and an early end to your reception. If you're okay with that, go for it.

• Yami
    Frequent user October 2022 Ontario
    Yami ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    A lot of people are doing weekday weddings now! My friend got invited to a Tuesday one! I think it would be a good idea, honestly. 🤍
  • Brittany
    Featured August 2023 Alberta
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I say go for it! If friends and family really cared about being there, they can take a day and a half off, not even. They can take a half day on the wedding day and show up to work after lunch the following day if they had too much to drink. Your wedding is 3 months out and that is plenty of time to put in a request for work.

I would do it in a heart beat for a friend or family that means a lot to me.

• A
    Newbie January 2023 Alberta
    Aeris ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I entirely agree. You do what you want to do spend what you want to spend. And as Amanda said the people who want to be there for you and your fiancee will figure it out and be there.

My fiancee and are also doing a Sunday wedding for that exact reason... it's like $4000 cheaper!
  • Shi-Jiuan
    Newbie September 2022 Alberta
    Shi-Jiuan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My fiancé and I are doing a weekday wedding. September 6 which is a day after labour day. It definitely saved us about $5000 rather than having it on the weekend. I also personally think since it’s a wedding that people can be okay with being tired the next day for work or not. 😊
  • Alina
    Alina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hi Amanda,

Thanks! I'm of the same opinion! A thought does creep in time to time "if we want to have family and friends come and celebrate with us, we should be accommodating" that sort of thing.

• Amanda
    Featured August 2022 British Columbia
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think any day of the week for a wedding is great! The people that really want to be there will be there no matter what. Do what you and your fiance wanna do and don't just accommodate for your guests!
    My fiance and I are doing a Sunday wedding!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics