Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Lynnie
WeddingWire Admin October 2016 North Carolina

The Garter & Bouquet Toss: Into It or Over It

Lynnie, on August 20, 2018 at 08:05 Posted in Wedding reception 0 26

This one's less of a trend and more of a tradition that some people are deciding to do away with! How do you feel about the bouquet and garter tosses? Are these still an essential wedding tradition to you, or are you totally over it? Into it or over it? 💐

The Garter & Bouquet Toss: Into It or Over It 1

Photo from The Drake Hotel in Toronto

Keep talking trends with us!! Up next is Metallic Bridesmaids Dresses: Into It or Over It?

26 Comments

Latest activity by Nelly, on September 25, 2019 at 17:09
  • Nelly
    Devoted October 2021 Ontario
    Nelly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Over it we're not having neither

• Maddie19
    Curious July 2020 Alberta
    Maddie19 ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Over it.

I've never been interested in either thing.

• M
    Expert September 2019 Ontario
    Meaghan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    So over it.

I dont like the bouquet toss but it doesn't feel gross like the garter toss does. The worst is when the groom plays it up as he's groping her and/or there is cheering. It has such a toxic masculinity vibe and feels almost predatory to me.
  • Rayanne
    Master June 2022 Ontario
    Rayanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Definitely over it. Not something I have ever wanted to do
  • Kaisha
    Super March 2019 Nova Scotia
    Kaisha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Over it, we will absolutely not be doing this

• K
    Expert June 2019 Ontario
    Kim ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    So very over it
  • Maya
    Expert January 2019 Alberta
    Maya ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I’m over it, but of course we will be doing it to please the family that wants it.
  • Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Over it! I really don't like this and dread being coerced into doing it.

• Emily
    Devoted February 2020 Ontario
    Emily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Definitely over it - we are not doing either!

• Kyla
    Beginner September 2019 Ontario
    Kyla ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Over it. Most of the weddings I've been to I have totally missed that portion of the night. Plus no way am I throwing my gorgeous (most likely expensive) bouquet!

• Genis
    Frequent user January 2019 Alberta
    Genis ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I had my first bouquet toss and caught it, but thats because there was like 3 of us i that joined in. So I don't think we will be doing either at ours

• C
    Curious June 2024 British Columbia
    Calla ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Over it, will not be having either.

• Alexandra
    VIP November 2019 British Columbia
    Alexandra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Over it. Probably won’t do either.
  • Jennifer
    Frequent user February 2024 Ontario
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Over it!! I totally agree that the garter toss is gross and part of my mother's family is Muslim so that's a hard no. Even though they are North-Americanized, part of a multicultural family and expect a white people wedding I still will not have him going up my dress in front of Gramma. Creeps me right out as to why this is even a thing.

And I agree the bouquet toss gives the impression that women need to get married to have worth. I hate that attitude and I've detested every single time I had to go up and stand there, in heels no less, and jockey for used flowers to validate my future. Yuck! As a feminist I can't imagine doing the bouquet toss, no way!!
  • Jessie
    Expert September 2018 Ontario
    Jessie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Into it. We are definitely doing the bouquet toss and garter toss!

• Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Over it. The last wedding that I was at there were 2 men that went up for the garter toss--both of them pushed into it by their gfs!

• Melissa
    Frequent user September 2018 Quebec
    Melissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I’m over the garter. We both refuse to do it, but I will have a bouquet to toss!
  • Michelle
    Expert April 2019 Alberta
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

OVER IT! I do not like the idea of my Fiance going up my dress with my Grandmother in the room...WEIRD.

• E
    Expert December 2018 Ontario
    Emma ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I’m over it. It now just seems so cheesy.

The whole garter thing i’m really over. Most people now just find it super awkward. And I agree the bouquet toss kind of makes a lot of single women uncomfortable. It’s like we are telling them they NEED to be married.

I feel the two traditions are just so outdated. If a couple wants to do them power to them as it’s their day. But I know if I was single and attending a wedding I wouldn’t participate and I hope any bride and groom doing this just accepts that not everyone is into it, and isn’t let down if people don’t participate.
  • Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm into the bouquet toss but over the garter toss! I don't need our families seeing him getting up in my dress lol but I've always wanted to toss that bouquet!!

• Brittany
    British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Into it, when it's done properly. A genuine bouquet toss, and no goofy antics from the guys pretending no one wants to catch the garter.

It's a fun tradition... but just as a small part of the reception. Not some big charade, or being rigged, or whatever.

• Valérie
    VIP September 2019 Quebec
    Valérie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

OVER IT!!! We've nixed both of them from the reception, as we find them archaic and annoying. The last couple of weddings I've been to, the bouquet toss was fixed : The 'single' gals were told throughout the evening not to catch the bouquet because the Bride wants *insert name here* to catch it (and pressure their boyfriend). I found it to be quite the buzzkill.

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Into it... I am basically the only one in my group of friends with a S/O let alone a fiance and soon to be Hubby Smiley laugh

No kids at my wedding and all the family will have been there and done that at theirs anyway. It's like a right of passage anyway - when else will you have this opportunity?? It's a wedding!!

• Sydney
    Expert August 2018 Ontario
    Sydney ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Over it! I also agree that it would be way too awkward to do the garter toss!
    And I always used to hate being singled out as a “single woman” where older ladies would basically force you on the dance floor to catch the bouquet
  • Shla
    Devoted October 2021 Ontario
    Shla ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Over it! I have always found it so uncomfortable. Like Gina I just don't like the idea of my husband all up under my dress with an audience. Save that for after the party. 😂
  • Gina
    Super April 2019 Alberta
    Gina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Over it! My FH doesn’t need to be up my dress in front of our families and our kids! No thanks lol

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics