Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Alexandra
VIP November 2019 British Columbia

The Cash Bar

Alexandra, on June 20, 2018 at 02:16

Posted in Plan a wedding 38

So this is more of a rant than anything but I’m just getting really frustrated with everyone saying it’s rude to have a cash bar. First of all, where I’m from it’s normal. Second of all, the price of alcohol in this province is already high and my venue has ramped that cost up times 3! Thirdly,...
So this is more of a rant than anything but I’m just getting really frustrated with everyone saying it’s rude to have a cash bar.

First of all, where I’m from it’s normal.

Second of all, the price of alcohol in this province is already high and my venue has ramped that cost up times 3!

Thirdly, don’t you think I’d have an open bar if it was something I could afford?

What is with people feeling the need to shame people for it? It’s out of my budget and my family are heavy drinkers. It’s not like I’m not providing any drinks at all, I’ll cover a couple I just can’t afford eight hours worth of drinks, and that doesn’t bother my family in the slightest. But I’m really sick of feeling bad about it because everyone else feels the need to share that opinion when I literally can’t afford to change it.

38 Comments

• Amelia
    Curious October 2018 Nova Scotia
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I feel you!

We're having a brunch wedding so theres no alcohol at the reception. But we're having a cash bar at the after party. And we're gwtting alot of "comments" from family members about it. But its just not affordable
  • Clarissa
    Expert October 2018 Saskatchewan
    Clarissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I get it. And don’t feel bad for it. If someone really gets bad about shaming you for it you can always put it in perspective for them and let them know what an open bar could cost you (and round up). When you add up the numbers it’s easy to hit 6-10k in the bar bill alone which I had no idea until planning my own wedding. Which to me seems like a stupid amount of money just for alcohol.
  • Erin
    Super September 2019 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My fiance and I went to a wedding in September for one of his friends and it was an open bar. All his other friends who were there - who are in our wedding party - said, "Erin, your wedding better have an open bar!!" And I said, "Only if you guys are paying for it!" To which their response was, "That's alright, we'll just drink in the parking lot then..." (I'm furious about it, but that's a whole other story...)

Anyway. Next person who tells you they want an open bar, ask them if they'd like to pitch in to pay for it and see what they say. Cash bar suddenly makes a whole lot more sense when you look at the cost difference...
  • Rosalyn
    Devoted August 2018 Alberta
    Rosalyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    What is with this entitlement people have when it comes to weddings! I would be fine with a cash bar!!

We are paying for drins while dinner is being served - so maybe an hour, then it will be a cash bar.
  • Jocelyn
    Expert August 2018 Ontario
    Jocelyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I have no issues with a cash bar- im
    having one too, but limited selection.

personally, i think it's ruder to see an outright ask for cash/monetary gifts on an invitation, AND not being given a plus one. had that happen once and i refused to attend the wedding because of it.
  • Holly
    VIP June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I agree! If someone has an issue with the cash bar the. They can go on the no drink list lol I've recently been considering a cash bar due to the amount of heavy drinkers.. I don't see the issues at all, weddings are expensive enough so might as well get a bit of "help" covering some of the costs. Ignore the haters and just do what you do!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics