Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Katelyn
Super October 2019 Ontario

The Bride and Groom Kiss Clinking

Katelyn, on July 17, 2019 at 10:51 Posted in Wedding reception 0 21
Guys I dont want to spend my whole night stopping what I'm doing to kiss my new husband. I want to enjoy my night. How do I tell my guests that I dont want the clinky glasses all night? Invitations are out. I'm doing a chalkboard program instead of paper to save on paper/stress/time. So maybe on there?

21 Comments

Latest activity by Kelly, on August 11, 2019 at 03:37
  • Kelly
    Devoted May 2020 Ontario
    Kelly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Have the MC make an announcement right at the beginning after the entrances
  • Sondra
    Frequent user August 2022 Ontario
    Sondra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Do a kissing game throughout dinner service and then advise your MC to manage the flow and then stop the game after dinner.

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Kissing games are a fun way to have all guests do something that will be entertaining or to what you two enjoy most.

As mentioned about venues not allowing glass clinking or any sort of terms around it, its best to find out from the venue what their policy is on that subject.

An idea that was done being creative was having a bell with round shape holders for the menu cards acted as a kissing bell. This was also mentioned in the speech so that everyone knew about it. Another reasoning was that kids usually like to play, it gave them something to keep busy at home to take.

The Bride and Groom Kiss Clinking 1

• Rayanne
    Master June 2022 Ontario
    Rayanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I'm loving the idea that someone will have to sing a song. I'm fine if a whole table wants to sing together but it will definitely keep our group from making us kiss too many times. I don't care once dinner is over (eating is extremely important to me lol) by then they will be distracted by dancing I can hope.
  • Emily
    Expert September 2020 Ontario
    Emily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We're allowing only the B&G kiss through a golf hole in one (mini put hole, since my FH is a golf-freak) or a spin the wheel game, our MC will announce it at the beginning of our reception!

• Janaya
    Expert August 2019 Saskatchewan
    Janaya ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

You can have someone announce it Smiley smile!

• Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Most venues don’t allow clinking since it can be hard on their glasses. I also think it’s starting to be a thing of the past. Most weddings I’ve been to have only had a few people clink or play the kissing game. I think an announcement is good and then just ignore it if it happens.
  • Katelyn
    Katelyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That's good.
  • Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My cousin and her husband made an announcement at their wedding that people could clink all they wanted to, but they were not going to kiss just because they did that. It was very efficient.

• Katelyn
    Katelyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I just don't want any of it. So like someone else suggested I'm going to have the MC announce it.
  • Taylor
    Devoted October 2021 Alberta
    Taylor ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Lol thats fair. I saw on one post that in order to get them to kiss they had to use a plinko game board. you could always do something fun like that. plinko.a spinner,even some kind of tossing game. it leaves it up to chance and you only have like 1 chance per person every 20 minutes or whatever

• Katelyn
    Katelyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I think that has the potential to be worse than clinking glasses. Drunk people are loud and boisterous.
  • Taylor
    Devoted October 2021 Alberta
    Taylor ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

If theres not alot of outgoing people just say they have to chant kiss really really loud

• Katelyn
    Katelyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Right but I'm not having a sit down dinner. And the tables are bar tables that seat 4. So that would still be far too much.
  • Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

What we did! We got bells from the dollar store that say "Ring for a Kiss" on them! Granted people did still ring them and we had to kiss often but it wasn't ridiculous! Having 1 per table so 10 people have to share one bell I think that was a really good way to calm every person from clinking their own glass. Also our venue was against the glass clinking so we had to come up with an idea... worked really well! I'd say we maybe had to kiss a dozen times? Max throughout the night! Really wasn't too annoying!

• Katelyn
    Katelyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I went to my cousin's wedding 4 years ago and it was a similar guest list and no one would leave the poor bride and groom alone. Honestly even some of the guests were getting upset about it. Also I'm not having a sit down dinner so no need for assigned seating or ushers. So that doesn't work for my wedding.
  • Michelle
    Expert October 2021 Nova Scotia
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I haven't been to a wedding where people have done this in like 10 years. I don't think it's as much of a thing anymore so I wouldn't worry about it too much, unless most of your guests are older and used to this tradition.
    My FH and I aren't going to have an alternative, and honestly I think I'm going to be kissing him all night without waiting for people to do anything haha.
    Perhaps if you're having ushers or anyone helping people find their seats at the reception you could have them mention it politely rather than making an announcement.
  • Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I made a whole discussion about this a while ago because I want to enjoy my dinner and not be kissing my hubs all the time.

My venue allows it, but we're having our MC announce no clinking of glasses, at least until after dinner. I like the idea of having a donation jar too.

• Casey
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Oh I agree with this 100%, its fun the first couple of times, but then it becomes annoying.

Our venue actually doesn't allow the clinking of the glasses. So I have given all the rules to my brother who is our MC and he will announce it right away!

I think even if your venue allows it, say they don't then people really won't do it!

• Katelyn
    Katelyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Oh getting the MC to announce it is a great idea. I personally think the whole tradition is weird and dont want to draw even more attention to it with a game. And also we aren't having a sitdown dinner.
  • K
    Expert September 2018 British Columbia
    Kim ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Make it a bit more of a challenge for them to get you to kiss. The most popular tactic I've heard of is that they must get up and sing a song with the word love in it before you will kiss.

Or, get a jar and collect donations (perhaps paper money only to prevent people tossing in a couple of nickels) in exchange for kisses. Proceeds go to your favourite charity (or the honeymoon fund, your choice).

Either way, get your MC to announce the rules and remind the guests if they start clinking.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics