Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Courtney
Super July 2018 Ontario

Thank you Speech help

Courtney, on June 14, 2018 at 14:10 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 7

I'm making a ton of discussions these days. Sorry!

I'm currently writing my and my partner's thank you speech. It's tricky cause both our parents are divorced, so we have a lot of separate people to thank... this is the overall format:

Partner - Thanks overall Guests, thanks my dad/stepmom, thanks his mom.

Me - Thanks his dad/stepmom, thanks my mom, thanks bridal party, says something loving about groom.

Partner - Says something loving about wife. Overall thanks again

The end.

My question is this: my partner has a brother and a sister. His brother is in the bridal party, so he's covered.. but the sister isn't (which has been a HUGE complaint from my FMIL). She is doing a reading for us during the ceremony. Should we be specifically thanking her too? The thought behind the parents is cause my dad, my mom and my FH's dad financially helped us.. his mum didn't, but we didn't want to leave her out.

7 Comments

Latest activity by Jessie, on July 10, 2018 at 15:41
  • Jessie
    Expert September 2018 Ontario
    Jessie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would thank her specifically and say for speaking during the ceremony. She will appreciate that. I understand the awkwardness of that- my mom hasn't helped with our wedding at all either but his parents have both been so supportive. We have paid for the wedding completely ourselves but they help in other ways.

Maybe just thank them for being there and supporting your next chapter.

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    A thank you for his sister for the reading is being considerate and polite enough. Don't go much into it than needed.
  • Courtney
    Super July 2018 Ontario
    Courtney ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

We already have thanked his mom?

I'm looking if I should include his sister.

• B
    Devoted September 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Well, his mom gave birth to him so she deserves a thanks for that, at least, lol. If she didn’t you wouldn’t have met and be getting married to him!
  • Jennifer
    Super July 2019 Ontario
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would maybe say a sentence in there. either by him or you. even could be that you are happy to be getting a sister (if you are). to take 10 seconds isn't the end of the world. and will probably make her and FMIL happy.

• Leah
    VIP April 2019 British Columbia
    Leah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think it would be nice to include her in the thank yous. Tori’s suggestion is a good one.
  • Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I won't be having my FSIL in my wedding party either; but with that being said you could mention her if she helped out with the wedding. It would be something along the lines of "And thank you to everyone who helped out to make this wedding come together especially my (new) sister ____". Of course if she doesn't or didn't help with the wedding then I would not mention her at all... I won't be specifically mentioning people who don't help - even if it is my FSIL. Hope this helps! - and you can never post too much, that's what this community is here for!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics