Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

C
VIP September 2023 Ontario

Thank you cards Yay or Nay?

Carine, on July 5, 2022 at 15:52 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 32

So my FMIL brought up thank you cards, that it's a nice gesture especially when people paid for a gift or gave money. I recently went to a bridal shower never got anything and then went to their wedding and nothing.

Are you all doing thank you cards or not, are you replacing the cards with something else and how long are you waiting before sending them out?

32 Comments

Latest activity by Carine, on September 21, 2022 at 08:56
  • C
    Carine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Congratulations on your wedding! I'm doing my this winter, and sending them out the day before the wedding. lol this way I don't have to worry or forget.

• A
    Newbie September 2022 Alberta
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

We just got back from our wedding in Banff, you will absolutely love it! We are just making our thank you cards now.

• Tunisha
    Super October 2021 Ontario
    Tunisha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Oh yes, it would out amazing to just do it right there and then at the wedding.
  • C
    Carine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I like that idea, why should we have to send out a thank you card and not just give out the thank you's at the wedding? Makes more sense.

• Tunisha
    Super October 2021 Ontario
    Tunisha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We did not do thank you cards. It was in my plan of To-Dos. However, because we were moving into our new home 3 days after we got married, it was too much going on and I past my “timeline” to get it done. But I did give a bottle of wine we made, with piece of our wedding cake and favour (calendar cookie).
  • C
    Carine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

It's a nice touch to include a wedding photo. Since I have a small wedding, it's something I would be able to do for each guest.

• Malyssa
    Expert October 2022 Alberta
    Malyssa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I will likely create some sort of thank you card for the wedding. I know my mom is working on a gift for the shower, which I am collaborating on.

I find thank you cards can be an easy way to share photos from your wedding too, so I will defineitly be sending out once we have our photos.

• C
    Carine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Sounds perfect. I booked my guy for three hours, for the important parts, I hate taking pictures and do not want photos of me dancing or eating.

• Brittany
    Featured August 2023 Alberta
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Banff is absolutely beautiful. I am super excited. Since we are technically doing a small wedding, for our wedding day we only have a photographer for about 1.5 hours - this includes ceremony photos and family, wedding party and couple photos after the ceremony. So we booked a photographer for 2 hours the next day at golden hour and we are going to Lake Louise for extra photos of just my FH and I. Really excited about those ones as well!

• Amanda
    Featured August 2022 British Columbia
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I completely agree with you even if they didn't bring a gift just showing up should result in a thank you

• C
    Carine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I am sure they would appreciate a thank you card especially for destination weddings. I'm a little jealous wedding in Banff you will not regret it, view you will have for your photos picture perfect for sure.

• Liberty
    Featured May 2022 Alberta
    Liberty ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Oh I totally agree!! I think around the 3 month mark is a good timeline
  • C
    Carine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I say three months 6 at the most a year forget it, people will have forgotten about even getting one.

• Liberty
    Liberty ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I also thought a year was a long time! We wanted to wait till we got our photos back so we can include a picture. We just got our photos back so hopefully within the next month we can send the thank you cards out!
  • C
    Carine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I love this! What a great idea, I may steal this idea from you. Love the picture, might have to finally invest in a good printer.

• C
    Carine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Ya that is a great idea, I have a small wedding so that would be easily done and I get my photos in a month after the wedding.

• C
    Carine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Great saving! Wow a year I feel like that is a long time.

• C
    Carine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I think even if they don't bring a gift but show up they should get a thank you card.

I just thought it was weird she brought it up and then realized that I went to a shower and a wedding and didn't get anything and then noticed that no one mentions a thank you card so I was like is this another thing people are opting out of?

• C
    Carine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I agree 3 months max. I know I won't be getting my photo for a month with my photographer. so make sense.

• C
    Carine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I agree, like one wedding they went on a two week honeymoon the day after the wedding so I don't expect anything for a while. I have a year to buy and write a special something and then mail them after the wedding.

• C
    Carine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

On my registry I made it affordable for every type of budgets, like $15 for a wedding frame. it's the thought that counts. Plus we have pretty much everything we need. I'm all for thank you cards but it seems like a lot of people are giving that up these days.

• C
    Carine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Oh I like that idea as well. I've seen some who wrote a special thank you to each guest at the table as a thank you and so guest know where to sit.

• C
    Carine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Same I would be offended as well, thought maybe not getting one from my friend sucked. I have lots of time so I think I am going to pre make since I have a small wedding, that way I can send them off the day after the wedding.

• Megan
    Frequent user July 2023 Ontario
    Megan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I wouldn’t be offended or likely even notice if I didn’t get a thank you card, but I’m still planning to do them for my wedding and bridal shower. I just think it’s the right thing to do but I feel like some people are moving away from it
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    It should be done to all the guests who attended and for those who still gave something though they didn't show up.
    Our Thank You card was put with the favour at the table settings.
  • KELLY
    Super October 2023 Ontario
    KELLY ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We will be sending on thank you cards no question. All guests/couples will receive a personalized note, we have several family members that are not in a good financial position, and we will send them a thank you note for being a part of our special day.

• C
    Super December 2020 Ontario
    Carmel ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    As everyone else has said - yes. 10000% yes... for every event you recieve a gift from. Send them as soon as possible.
  • Lissa
    Devoted October 2022 Ontario
    Lissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Thank you cards are a must, but I agree that I’ve been to a number of showers, weddings, and even baby showers where no thank you card was sent.
    I had my bridal shower on the 18th and had my thank you cards mailed out a week later. Typically 2 weeks would be the standard.
    For wedding thank yous it’s usually closer to 3 months as people often wait to get their photos back before sending the cards out.
  • Amanda
    Featured August 2022 British Columbia
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think thank you cards are a must. It's just proper etiquette when a guests brings you a gift.
  • Liberty
    Liberty ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I definitely think thank you cards are a must! We got lucky and found a box of thank you cards on clearance for $5 and it had more than we needed! According to etiquette you have a year to send out thank you cards for a wedding, so it's possible they haven't sent them yet for the wedding you attended.
  • Brittany
    Featured August 2023 Alberta
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think I am going too. Since my wedding is in Banff, we have a lot of people paying just $1,000 in accommodations alone for 3 nights. So the price adds up fairly quickly for a wedding. I have wrote numerous times we don't want anything but if you want to give something, we prefer cash to help support our honeymoon. So since they are spending so much money for essentially one evening I am definitely sending out thank you cards. I am going to wait till 3 months after wedding. I would like to send a thank you card with a photo from the wedding so I want to get those before sending out thank you cards.

• Danielle
    Frequent user April 2022 Ontario
    Danielle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I never even considered not doing thank you cards - To me it’s a must for whoever gave a card, gift and/or played a role in your special day. I ended up designing mine and using a handwritten font so that my husband and I could type them up. I even data merged all the addresses and had labels printed to make things a bit easier. It’s a lot of writing! We were married a couple of months ago and are sending them out now and including a couple of photos with them. I wanted to make sure each message was personalized and special so it took us some time to write them out but I think guests really do appreciate it Smiley smile

I printed with Moo since they let you print different backs to each card and label so each could be customized! And found some beautiful envelopes for a really good price on Amazon.

Opted for a simple design with one of our more modern photos that was perfect for everyone to receive.
    Thank you cards Yay or Nay? 1

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics