Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Melissa
Frequent user September 2018 Quebec

Tell us about the weird opinions you’ve gotten regarding your wedding!

Melissa, on August 24, 2018 at 14:04 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 16
Seems like nowadays everyone, including your aunt’s friend’s co-worker, is a professional wedding planner who has a opinion regarding your big day and how it *should* be. Tell us about the weird, annoying and even aggressive feedback you’ve gotten while planning your wedding!

16 Comments

Latest activity by Bianca, on September 26, 2018 at 13:58
  • Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I’ve had a lot of my coworkers tell me I should rent my wedding dress. That’s been the most annoying one since it’s been difficult to rationalize with them why I want to purchase it.
  • Jennifer
    Super July 2019 Ontario
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

The best (ahem worst) one has been my FMIL. She asked what kind of flowers I was carrying. and I said that I am not carrying any. And she full on "grrrddd" at me. IN PERSON, NOT A TEXT!!! a full on GGGRRR. I looked at her and said, "yah i'm not carrying flowers". She grrrdd again and said "well why not". Let's see, I don't want to because I don't want to hide my pretty dress, I don't see the point in spending the money when you just hand them to a bridesmaid, and I don't want an allergic reaction on my wedding day.
    I just....wow. my sis in law and I both were just shocked.

• Lucy
    Frequent user July 2019 Ontario
    Lucy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My FH has lost both his parents, so I've had a few different opinions on how/if we should incorporate their memory into the wedding. I've asked, he doesn't want to. He doesn't want to be sad on his wedding day. I've also been told I should forgo mentioning my parents on the invitation at all (even though they are paying/hosting) and just put "together with their families" instead of mentioning the "late parents" (ie Future Groom, son of late dad and late mother). Also been told since he doesn't get a mother/son dance, I should think about not having a daddy/daughter dance.

Some others have questioned that I'm having a dude in my side, uneven sides, not having a cake, not planning on having a shower, not having children in the ceremony even though my niece if the perfect flowergirl age...

• C
    Newbie February 2019 Ontario
    Crystal ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My FH told his father that he wasn't putting his name on the invitation as one of the hosts because we are the ones paying/planning for the wedding ourselves, he freaked out. He then informed us that some of the guests we allowed him to invite wouldn't know who we are when they received the invite because they don't know he has a kid. I'm really hoping they toss the invite and don't show. Smiley amazing

• Lydia
    Devoted June 2019 British Columbia
    Lydia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think the two weirdest or rudest ones till now are one that reoccured quite often right after our engagement; "Ohhh!! So now you'll get kids!" (No, we're not really interested in that) "Oh! But you *have* to!"

And one of my best friends growing up kept repeating the question what kind of dress I wanted. I had no idea, I never thought about that kinda stuff before. Recently I had send her some pictures of dresses I found online that I liked. She then proceeded to get quite angry with me because "those are exactly the dresses I like".
    She is not anywhere close to getting engaged, she never told me anything about what kind of dresses she liked and I frankly never asked cause she's not getting married, I had no idea and don't care that we like the same stuff, I haven't even bought them yet so who knows and it's not about her to start with. It did definitely change my mind about sharing stuff even if people are pushy.
  • E
    Expert December 2018 Ontario
    Emma ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Ok that’s really messed up.
  • Rachael
    Super October 2019 Ontario
    Rachael ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My mom keeps insisting I invite my brother-in-law's mother to my wedding because she "lives with them" ("them" being my brother-in-law, sister, nephew and niece), but isn't insisting I invite my other brother-in-law's parent (in the same situation).

My fiancé's mother keeps insisting we invite her family who my fiancé has a non-existnet relationship with, but that's another story.

• Shla
    Devoted October 2021 Ontario
    Shla ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Mine is really just my best friend flat out telling my fiance that this wedding is about her too. Literally "Yo, this wedding isn't just about you two! This is MY wedding, too!". Ahe wasn't kidding....
  • A
    Devoted October 2019 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I am only limiting the plus 1 to certain guests as I know they have requested it but no more than one plus one.
  • K
    Expert June 2019 Ontario
    Kim ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Honestly I thought we would receive a few "opinions" bc were having a very non traditional wedding - small intimate ceremony and dinner at a pub. We're not having a dance, speeches or wedding party. But everyone has been incredibly supportive and thinks it's great - at least to my face lol
  • Geneviève
    VIP September 2020 Ontario
    Geneviève ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

The guest list! Isn't that always the way though? The parents love putting their two cents in of

"definitely don't invite that one!"

"how come they're invited and these relatives aren't?",

"If they get a friend, I should too!" "Is your friend doing _ for free?" "No..." "well that's why they're coming"

I think the best one is how a close friend of ours is officiating our wedding and my mom doesn't think it's a good idea. She'd rather we chose my aunt's (who's attending the wedding) ex to do it who I met once... Ain't it peachy?

• April
    Frequent user September 2018 Saskatchewan
    April ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Were doing appetizers instead of a full meal and some people think it’s a bad idea. We’re going to have 125 dozen appetizers for 165 people, I think we will have enough food haha
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

The only remark from my wedding party was my husbands MOH letting us know a guest was bringing plus2 at the last minute of the wedding day. Just those we knew and only mentioned it found it odd. Not only did we feed 3 mouths, they came empty handed without a card to give us claiming it was given at the buck & buck event.

This one guest had the audacity to even ask the time of the entrance of where his mother was to sit for dinner. My face turned to full ten and thought how rude that was to ask when he's supposed to come alone. Lets say my mother found this guest and boyfriend was rumbustious and was smoking weed on the property.

• Melissa
    Frequent user September 2018 Quebec
    Melissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Opinions regarding plus ones are always very controversial, it seems. I was actually told it’s rude not to allow plus 2s and 3s. As in, “if your cousin wants to bring their girlfriend and their friend you don’t know, they should be allowed to!”
  • Valérie
    VIP September 2019 Quebec
    Valérie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

1. A bilingual wedding is a disaster waiting to happen, since I'll be alienating half the guests half the time.

2. I'm not going to look like a bride without a massive dress and up-do.

3. I'm insulting my friends by not having a bridal party.

4. You can't have a wedding without an open bar.

• Holly
    VIP June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My FHs aunt is very opinionated and thinks we should do things the way she would. Once you really tell her what's what she will back down, which is nice. One thing that really bothered me was he opinion on how we are handling plus ones and receiving lines. She disagrees with us that only people in significant relationships can get a plus one, he exact words, "No, everyone gets one."........ Same with the receiving line, we said no to it and she said yes..not that it matters but she seemed to think it did. She then went on to say the words that I will probably never forget her say..."You have never planned a wedding before, you don't know what you're doing, you don't think how things are done." Well after she now understands that we are planning the wedding the way we want it regardless of "how things are done". She hasn't bothered us since!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics