Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Kacy
VIP February 2019 Quebec

Taxes, service charge and tips, oh my!

Kacy, on February 26, 2017 at 10:36 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 16
Good morning everyone!
I have seen conflicting information on this topic... Some venues/caterers/vendors add a line that taxes and service charges are not included, and that they ask for service charges of 18%. Pardon my ignorance, but does this encompass or substitute the tip, or do we have to tip ON TOP of the 15% tax (because Quebec), and their required 18%? And then what is th convention for feeding these vendors, such as caterer/bar staff, etc.? Thank you all!! Happy Sunday!

16 Comments

Latest activity by Kacy, on February 28, 2017 at 19:46
  • Kacy
    VIP February 2019 Quebec
    Kacy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Oh I see!! Good to know Smiley smile Yes, we're conscious of it, for sure! He is quite adamant about being our photographer, has been saying it for years and years now lol Smiley smile
  • Samtam
    VIP November 2016 British Columbia
    Samtam ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Generally the vendor meals just consist of the entree course because they don't really have time to sit down for the full meal because they're working. We did our speeches during the entree course and the vendors were supposed to receive their meals during the appetizer course so they could be ready but somehow the venue mixed it up and we had to wait for our vendors to finish before we could start speeches so make sure you work that out in advance! If your friend is being your photographer, then they won't really be able to participate in your wedding as a guest so keep that in mind before you book them!

• Kacy
    VIP February 2019 Quebec
    Kacy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
  • Kacy
    VIP February 2019 Quebec
    Kacy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

That is a relief, I am glad to hear that! One less thing for you guys to worry about Smiley laugh

• Kacy
    VIP February 2019 Quebec
    Kacy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I know that some venues said that the 18% gratuity didn't include the tip, and I was like whaaaaaaatt, is that normal? So I wrote to you wonderful bunch Smiley smile We have a friend who is a professional wedding photographer who is giving us a heavily discounted price, so I would feel really weird about asking for a cheaper price/smaller meal than the rest of our guests, but that is good to know for the rest of the vendors Smiley smile thanks!

• Kacy
    VIP February 2019 Quebec
    Kacy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Awesome! That's good to know, thank you!

• Natasha
    VIP August 2017 Ontario
    Natasha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

All my contracts with my vendors include taxes and gratuity so this is nice, my FH and I do not have to figure out any tips which is a relief

• Samtam
    VIP November 2016 British Columbia
    Samtam ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

It depends on the vendor. You can always ask them what it covers to be sure! Our reception venue charged gratuity so we didn't need to tip the servers on top of it. If your vendors are going to be there during dinner, you should provide them with a meal. (Photographer, videographer, DJ, coordinator) The caterer will generally have a vendor meal option that is less expensive than the full meal for the guests.

• Louise
    Devoted September 2017 Quebec
    Louise ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My Venue adds a 18% service charge of $1900 which is the taxes and their tip. You do not have to tip additionally. Usually your DJ, photographer and videographer you provide meals for them (like a discounted meal). It is your choice whether you tip them after all of that.
  • Kacy
    VIP February 2019 Quebec
    Kacy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    That was my thought as well wrt to the 18%! Thanks for sharing, that's good to know, it will make me less likely to feel guilty if we use the same reasoning... Which I think is totally fair! Thanks again!
  • Kacy
    VIP February 2019 Quebec
    Kacy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Fantastic! Thank you so much, that's what I was hoping to hear! 😊
  • Kacy
    VIP February 2019 Quebec
    Kacy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Right? ! It's insane, it takes up such a significant portion of one's budget!
  • Katherine
    Super September 2017 New Brunswick
    Katherine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    If I were charged a service charge of 18% on anything, wedding related or no, I would not tip... Full disclosure I have no intentions of tipping anyone, above and beyond yes, just for providing a service no... As to feeding vendors it usually says in their contract if you are required to provide a meal.
  • Daphne
    Super July 2017 British Columbia
    Daphne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    The 18% is the tip, so you would not add any other tip.
  • Kaytee
    Devoted September 2017 Alberta
    Kaytee ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We have to pay 18% as well. It's overwhelming.
  • Kacy
    VIP February 2019 Quebec
    Kacy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Clicked send too soon lol!

Taxes, service charge and tips, oh my! - 1

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics