Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Marcia
Super August 2018 Manitoba

Sweetheart table vs. Head table for wedding reception

Marcia, on May 31, 2018 at 23:03 Posted in Wedding reception 0 23

Hello Brides! I can't decided whether I want a sweetheart table or a head table for my wedding reception. I think a sweetheart table would be more intimate compared to a head table since we have a big wedding party (10 people). As for a head table, who sits where? What are/did you do for your wedding reception, Sweetheart table or Head table?

Sweetheart Table

Sweetheart table vs. Head table for wedding reception 1

Head tableSweetheart table vs. Head table for wedding reception 2

23 Comments

Latest activity by Michelle, on July 16, 2018 at 16:06
  • Michelle
    Expert April 2019 Alberta
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I prefer a head table! We don't want to feel excluded from the party and yes the day is about us but we really are looking forward to spending time with our friends as well

• Charmaine
    Curious September 2018 Ontario
    Charmaine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are doing a sweetheart table. We want our wedding party to sit with their significant others during the reception.
  • Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We will definitely be doing a sweetheart table. It's more intimate (IMO) and unlike a head table, it allows the bridal party to sit with their respective SO's.

• Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My brother and SIL only had two on each side at their headtable. They had their maid of honour and best man as well as one other (and these people didn't know anyone else at the wedding). It worked out since the rest of us got to sit with friends or their family, and those that didn't know anyone else were able to sit with the only person they knew.

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Sweetheart table is what we went with for ourselves. The table was later moced to have more space for dancing.
  • B
    Devoted September 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That’s a great Idea!
  • B
    Devoted September 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I was thinking head table for us, then a split head table on either side of us (My MOH/Bridesmaids and his Best Man/Groomsman)
  • Summer
    Devoted May 2019 Ontario
    Summer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We’re doing a head table. I want to be able to enjoy the time with my hubby and my girls . They’ll have opportunities to be with their SO and families throughout the night
  • Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    It depends what's easier for you! Remember you will likely RARELY be sitting except for speeches so just make sure you can maneuver when needed!
    We are doing a head table with the fill party (10 people) but we are doing a 2 tier head table!

Sweetheart table vs. Head table for wedding reception 3
  • Jill
    Newbie September 2019 Ontario
    Jill ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Sweetheart table definitely! I work at a venue, and when couples do this not only is it beautiful for photos, but your bridal party can sit with their significant others/other guests, and if you are up and about chatting to tables, your bridal party isn’t sitting awkwardly at the head table. It’s nice for the two of you to stand out a bit more Smiley smile
  • Marie-Claire
    Devoted August 2018 Quebec
    Marie-Claire ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

The only thing we are sure of is that we are not doing a head table with our wedding party. It would end up being a weird number with the only SO, and some of them really don't like attention. They'll have more fun sitting with their family or friends.

Right now we're hesitating between a sweetheart table or a head table with just our parents.

• Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I want to do a sweetheart table, that way we get some quiet time at dinner. We also want to allow the wedding party to sit with their SO's and children (if they have them). My FSIL is a BM and has her SO and two kids, and others in our party have SO's who don't know anyone else. We might do a head table where only our parents sit with us

• Michelle
    Super September 2018 Alberta
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm doing head table which will also include the bridal party. I'm not a huge fan of being the center of attention, so having other ppl around me will take part of that attention away.

• Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We had a sweetheart table and then had our wedding party and their SO's at their own table. It was nice to have a little bit of quiet time just the 2 of us during dinner and the speeches.

• Jocelyn
    Expert August 2018 Ontario
    Jocelyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Im going for a sweetheart table & a seperate table for the BM's & GM's
  • Leah
    VIP April 2019 British Columbia
    Leah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I like the King’s table or sweetheart’s table.

I think we’ll do a King’s table or just sit amongst the guests.
  • Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I know that the head table is what people know and it is somewhat "traditional" so that's what I always pictured... but I have to say - the sweetheart table is calling my name. On top of the alone time with my hubby I will also have all eyes on just the two of us rather than us and our wedding party (6 each = 12 others plus us). I am a leo and love attention though!

• Alexandra
    VIP November 2019 British Columbia
    Alexandra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We have a head table but we’ve only got the parents and ourselves at the head table since between the groomsmen, bridesmaids and SOs it was easier to have groomsmen and bridesmaid tables separately!
  • Jane
    Frequent user July 2018 British Columbia
    Jane ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We're doing a sweetheart table with long community tables in 2 rows for the guests. We have our parents, siblings and grandparents closest, half of our bridesmaids are siblings. And the others are after the family. We like the idea of a bit of quiet time for us, and it fits our space well. There's a long thin area in our venue that if it isn't the dining space ends up being dead space

• Jennifer
    Super July 2019 Ontario
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Just to throw a curve ball in the mix. You could do a kings style table. Rectangle. You and hubs at the head. Guys one side. Girls the other. But wedding party can actually have conversations.
    A friend did it. And they had 14 total i think. Looked good.
  • Clarissa
    Expert October 2018 Saskatchewan
    Clarissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I really want to do a sweetheart table. I'm hoping to get a bit of "quiet" time together just us while everyone is eating. There will be so few of those opportunities on the big day that I want to take advantage of them when we can.
  • Jessica
    Super March 2018 Ontario
    Jessica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I did a U-shaped head table with 10 in my wedding party and myself and the groom, so 12 in total. There were 6 facing the guests and then 3 on either side (it was either this or a King Table which the venue allowed, and I preferred the U-shape). I placed the best man and the maid of honour beside each of us and then I let everyone else choose where they wanted to sit. It ended up girls on one-side and guys on the other (with a groomslady on the guy's side as well), but I really didn't care.

The only concern for me was that any significant others would be sitting alone, so I also made a table for those who were significant others so they would all sit together. I have been stuck at that table before as a guest too. It's not the best I kept in mind that I was only sitting there for an hour or two and as soon as dancing started I could move to anywhere I wanted.

I hate being the centre of attention so doing a sweetheart table was a big no for me. I also didn't like how awkward a small little table looked in the venue. If you are considering a sweetheart table, you may want to think about how it will look in the venue.

• Ashley
    Frequent user August 2018 British Columbia
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are doing a regular head table due to space. Love this idea though!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics