Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Inkaytnito
Newbie October 2020 Ontario

Surprise Wedding + Pre-wedding Photos

Inkaytnito, on September 11, 2019 at 17:43 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 10

My partner and I are planning a surprise wedding. Partly to avoid family drama and stress, and to keep costs low, but also because I've been married before (too young — whoops!). But mostly because it's very "us" and feels right.

Does anyone have experience with planning/executing a surprise wedding? I'm hoping some of you in the community might have some ideas about how to pull this together Smiley smile

The process would go as follows:

Pre-wedding Photos/Video

Days or months prior to the wedding we would get dolled up as we would our wedding day, to take photos and video: ie. getting ready, a "first look," some intimate editorial style shots, exploring the environment in which we choose to shoot, maybe saying written vows to each other. The video will later be used at the surprise ceremony. Everything about this wedding is stunning, including the photography.

The Invitation

Invite our guests to an "engagement party" via Paperless Post. Obviously the closest friends and family will want to be there, but we don't know how to encourage others that it's important they are there, without giving away the surprise.

Day Of

We're not sure yet if we're going to host it at our house (least conspicuous), or at a restaurant. In any case, the afternoon/evening would start as an engagement party would: mingling, drinks, food, music, etc. We're hoping to have a projector displaying pictures of us as kids growing up and of our time together.

At some point, my partner and I would quietly slip away to change into our "wedding" clothes (ie. the same we wore in the photos weeks/months prior).

While we're M.I.A., a friend in-the-know will draw our guests attention to the projector, where the video of our photoshoot will play. This will be the first indication that they are all at a wedding. It will be short and simple with music, or maybe narrative.

I have a friend who plays acoustic guitar and sings, and would be a really lovely transition from the video to us re-emerging in front of the guests in our wedding attire, poised for a ceremony with everyone present.

We are definitely nervous about people's reactions, as I've read some stories about mothers being upset for being left out of the planning. But, we really wanted to keep the planning stress down to a minimum, and to really focus on what the day means to us. We would like to have someone present taking candid photos of the night so that no one feels left out when looking back on the evening.

What are your thoughts of this process? Any suggestions to make it better? Things to avoid? I would love you hear from you! Smiley heart

10 Comments

Latest activity by Vinod, on September 18, 2019 at 11:41
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

A surprise wedding is a great idea that will keep everyone just shocked unknowing they are there present. Your planning is thought out well and how to execute the process of escaping to change and come down to someone keeping giving the cue.

I do know how it is when parents especially your mom since she may say something to ruin the whole thing. Its good you have someone that is taking on the distraction part and not saying anything about change.

Invitation wise, Engagement party sounds good of wording. Another way to phrase it can be Engagement Gathering and this sign would then come out when entering so your guests don't know what's to come.

th?q=Surprise+Wedding+Ideas&w=120&h=120&

• Rayanne
    Master June 2022 Ontario
    Rayanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I think that may be the best to do. Hopefully it won't come to that. I'm sure your nearest and dearest will want to be there for your engagement party anyway....
  • Inkaytnito
    Inkaytnito ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That's the part I'm struggling with — expressing how important it is that everyone is there, without giving away the secret. My partner suggested we tell people we're going to make a special announcement at the "engagement party" about the "wedding" so that people will for sure come, but I'm torn as to how motivating that would be. I guess I could just reach out privately to the people who don't RSVP and let them in on the secret, encouraging them to attend, but also to keep hush hush.

• Rayanne
    Master June 2022 Ontario
    Rayanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    That sounds amazing. I don't think that having it at a restaurant would give it away. It is quite common for people to have engagement parties at restaurants. As long as everyone knows how important it is to you and makes sure they get there.
  • Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I love this idea, honestly it sounds like something my FH and I would've loved to do if we were in the beginning stages. It sounds like you have it planned out lots in advance, which will help!

I'd also have it at a restaurant/any location where you wouldn't be responsible for catering/clean up. See if you can get a restaurant with a private room or get a smaller banquet hall.

You also might deal with some blow-back from family (mothers) about being left out, but hopefully people will be glad they were included in the actual ceremony and have a good time celebrating with you!

• Casey
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think that is such a cool idea and so different. I agree with Tori about having it at a restaurant. Then you don't have to worry about cleaning up afterwards and you can enjoy the night with all your family and friends!

• Inkaytnito
    Inkaytnito ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Less cleanup, too! haha Smiley tongue

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

The I think it sounds perfect! I would say restaurant over going to your house just because then you don't have to worry about clean up and making sure caterers can find your place, and if they come on time, etc.

• Inkaytnito
    Inkaytnito ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    The real ceremony would happen with everyone present, because I agree that my family would be pretty upset to miss the real thing (we considered just eloping, but knew it would cause d.r.a.m.a. lol)
    If we had it at a restaurant, we would offer to pay, just as we would cater if we had it at our house.
  • Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

That sounds amazing! Just wondering if you will already be married and this will be a mock ceremony or if the pictures from the video are just in prep for the real ceremony. I would think the only real problem is if your parents (and siblings if it were me) miss the real ceremony.

I also think that you could get away with a restaurant but then would the guests have to pay for themselves? If so, idk about your families but we would have some people decline the invite as they can't afford the nicer restaurants.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics