Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Andrea
Devoted January 2021 Ontario

Super worried, What to Do?

Andrea, on March 10, 2020 at 22:38 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 10

Hi everyone,

I'm from Toronto, my wedding is in 24 days and I'm having a fit. I've been crying all day.

For those in Toronto, if you're following the news, you may be aware of this pending strike affecting inside workers (Cupe 70)... all event permits at all Toronto community centres would be cancelled, as well as daycares, etc. The deadline for them to reach a deal is Saturday, March 14th at 12:01 AM. Well, we have our wedding booked at a community centre in Scarborough for April 4th and we're tripping out. I've contacted 311 and the venue itself and they have both confirmed that if there is a strike, our wedding will be in jeopardy. I am so devastated. Including me, my fiance and our two daughters, our final guest count is 88 people. Everyone has rsvped, favours put together, catering sorted, as well as bartenders and make up artist, alcohol purchased, etc. Some guests are coming from the States and have arranged flights from months ago.

Our thing is, if they do strike, how long will it take for them to come to an agreement? How long will be waiting to see how things pan out? We paid 1600 (that's the full amount) to the venue. Even our wedding planner was more expensive. We literally only budgeted for this place alone. We left a banquet hall for this place. We fell in love with this place and we absolutely cannot afford anything else besides it. I don't know what the heck to do. We have no money to work with. Even though we'd be able to get a partial refund from our wedding planner and our venue, it wouldn't even cut the surface for trying to find another venue so late into the game. What are we to do??? Should we tell our guests anything? OMG

10 Comments

Latest activity by Vinod, on March 16, 2020 at 11:38
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Stay positive and with all things happening, the venue is hopefully allowing you to postpone the wedding date until all is clear to go and guests will make their drive as expected. Other things to consider is talking to the LCBO manager to see what can happen about the returns of the unused bottles if the time isn't happening now and will accept when the time occurs of your wedding. The time of this pandemic isn't great though its affecting a lot of people and travel plans, stay calm and push the date for later in the summer time.
  • Steph
    Expert June 2022 Ontario
    Steph ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Girl you are keeping your positivity so well!! I don't know what but I'm sure something is going to work for you, I can feel it 🤗🤗🤗
  • Megan
    Frequent user April 2021 Ontario
    Megan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hopefully you get an answer either way soon, so then you can have a clear direction of what you have to do next. Absolutely, you absolutely should get your deposits back if there's a strike. He has a good idea, and guests may be upset, but I don't think they'll be upset at you directly! It's totally beyond your control. Once you have a definitive answer, I think you have to decide if you want to organize something last minute (not exactly what you wanted), or if you want to reschedule to have the day exactly as you want it in the future.

Is the wedding coordinator tied to the venue? If she's not, she should be doing everything in her power to make this happen somewhere else.

I wish I knew more places close to you. I know a fitness studio/boutique gym up in Newmarket that rents their space on the weekends. Maybe someone does that in Scarborough? If it was an AirBnB, maybe your caterer could change the style of food and help you out with discounted rented tables. Honestly, if the strike goes ahead and you still want to have a wedding, I think people would be willing to help you out if you explain the full situation.

• Ashley
    VIP August 2020 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Omggggg so so sorry to hear this. i personally would change venues if this was me. i would find open or green space or even halls have rooms you can rent for ceremonies as well and then call all my vendors and then call all my guests and also send them a text as well with the new address!! call your guests last once you have confirmed a new space. good luck!!!!!!!!!

• Andrea
    Andrea ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hey Megan,

Thank you so much for your kind words. It's a really depressing time actually. I've called a few places in Pickering and Markham (only places I can afford, honestly) and not surprisingly, a lot of them are booked already or have certain conditions that we simply cannot meet in this very short time frame. An airbnb would be a possibility but then that would mean us renting a bunch of chairs and tables and we literally have no money for that at all. My fiance suggested that if it does come to a strike, we may have to get our deposits back and have a heart to heart with our guests, explain the situation, and then go to the courthouse with immediate family and have a reception at a later date... I just don't think this will go over with our guests. I mean, this circumstance with the strike isn't our fault but guests would still be upset.

• Megan
    Frequent user April 2021 Ontario
    Megan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm so sorry that's happening! I had no idea. I'm also getting married April 4, and I can't imagine what you're going through.
    If it was me, I would start calling alternative venues just to have a backup in your pocket. I would call curling clubs, community centres just north (Markham) or east (Pickering), possibly an AirBnB, or local cafe or restaurant. If they do end up striking, maybe one of your guests would know of an alternative.

Crossing my fingers for you that it's resolved!

• Andrea
    Andrea ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hi Steph,

Thank you kindly for your input. I will look into some alternative community centres and no one I know has a huge house!! It's just a frustrating situation. I'm trying to stay positive, I really am. Thank you so much!!

• Andrea
    Andrea ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hey Lindsay,

Thank you so much for your input. I really do hope that they reach a deal before the deadline. I suppose I could look for another community centre but it's sad because a lot don't even have that day available anymore and I don't want to push the wedding back... it's really just a bad situation. I hope it doesn't end in a strike.

• Steph
    Expert June 2022 Ontario
    Steph ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Hi Andrea! So sorry to hear about this, definitely not what you want to be dealing with in your wedding planning journey and especially not at the 11th hour. Maybe your wedding planner would be able to look into alternate locations? Maybe somewhere you wouldn't originally think of that might fit the budget. There are botanical gardens, conservation centres, maybe even another community centre that might be able to hold your wedding. I know they can get pricey, but your planner might have some connections or might know of some places. If not, do you know anyone with a particularly large home that you could set up canopy tents in the backyard? I wish I had more ideas to help, if I think of anything I'll let you know. In the meantime, try to stay positive while you come up with your backup plan. Sometimes things have a way of working out 🤗
  • Lindsay
    Curious July 2022 Ontario
    Lindsay ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think there's a pretty good chance the contract will get resolved at the deadline, try not to stress yourself out too badly until you need to!

Usually the threat of a strike/hard deadline is enough to get the two sides seriously talking. I can guarantee the mayor doesn't want to deal with Toronto parents if their kids no longer have daycare!

If it really does go to the worst case scenario, could you look for another community centre just outside of Toronto? Like Pickering/Ajax/Markham? Also, if you know anyone in a union see if they have access to renting a union hall? They're usually really inexpensive.

The good news is you're not quite in peak wedding season yet, and you don't have hundreds of guests.

Could you ask your wedding planner to look into some alternate locations for you to relieve some of your stress?

I'm sorry you're going through this and I hope it all works out!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics