Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Sara
Frequent user August 2021 Ontario

Stress, Hormones, and Skincare

Sara, on March 22, 2021 at 11:11 Posted in Beauty 0 8

Hello Ladies!

Hoping someone can help me out. As a teenager I never had a huge problem with acne.
I went off the birth control pill a couple years ago for medical reasons. Recently, acne has become an issue for me.

I wash my face with a cleanser and moisturize daily, as well as use a cleanser on my back in the shower, but it just has not been cutting it. My skin used to be really dry, but has been fairly oily since going off the pill.

The stress of this year combined with my body getting used to natural hormones has caused some pretty bad breakouts on my face and back. I have a backless dress, and the last thing I want to be concerned about on my special day is my skin.

Any recommendations in terms of treatments or skincare that has worked for you?

8 Comments

Latest activity by Niki, on March 28, 2021 at 17:03
  • Niki
    Frequent user August 2021 Ontario
    Niki ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I was on Accutane years ago and it cleared my skin but in the winter my skin is horrendous (itchy patchy and some acne on face/body). I use really gentle products like Spectro face wash and Cerave cream on my face and body. Diet also plays a huge role and can help with inflammation - always strive to drink LOTS of water to flush out your system, I cut/lowered dairy products significantly as it can produce inflammation in the skin, eat lower glycemic foods, eat lots of dark leafy greens and vitamin A rich foods (think orange coloured foods) and plenty of healthy fats to help balance those hormones (eggs, salmon, avocado, nuts and seeds) hope this helps Smiley smile

• Amanda
    Featured August 2022 British Columbia
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

If you have hired a makeup artist, talk to them as well! They know a lot of different products to help with all different kinds of skin care issues

• Bailey
    Curious October 2021 Alberta
    Bailey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Girl I just finished accutane last year as my thyroid decided to stop working and my hormones went A-wall ! I use a brand called “Zo skin health” you need to get it from a dermatologist! I use cerave face wash ! So skin health in a toner and enzyme peel ! And the ordinary Nianimacine !
  • Abigail
    Curious May 2022 British Columbia
    Abigail ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I second the Neutrogena! I started using it this past year and my back acne has cleared up so nicely! Exfoliating once in a while helps me too.

• Alexis
    Devoted July 2021 Ontario
    Alexis ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    For your face you need a good cleanser and alcohol free toner.
    You also should have something with salicylic acid to dry out your acne and something with benzoyl peroxide to fight the infection.
    Because these are harsh it feels wrong to do but you need some good moisturizer too. I use earth harbour in the daytime and mudmasky at night.Stress, Hormones, and Skincare 1
    Stress, Hormones, and Skincare 2
    Stress, Hormones, and Skincare 3

• Alexis
    Devoted July 2021 Ontario
    Alexis ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    As the queen of acne I feel your pain 😭😭😭 I’ve never been able to 100% get my acne under control but I know I’d be way worse than a couple pimples at a time and a bunch of scars if I didn’t do stuff to keep it somewhat controlled.

For your backne I recommend washing it daily with this stuff and then wiping it with an oxy pad daily too. I don’t recommend either of these products for your face tho. Stress, Hormones, and Skincare 4
  • Laura
    Frequent user August 2022 Ontario
    Laura ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I feel your pain! I take BCP mainly for hormonal acne and have combination skin, mostly oily though. For my face, I use Origins Checks and Balances Frothy Facewash, Origins United State Balancing Toner, and the Fresh Umbrian Clay Moisturizer or the Origins matte moisturizer because I find they do not clog me up more but also keep the skin moisturized which is still important for acne (you don't want to go too dry). Once a week, I exfoliate with Origins Ginzing face wash and every 1-2 weeks, I use a clay mask with charcoal in it. For my body, I just use Aveeno body washes and lotion.

If you are going to use topical salicylic acid and non-prescription retinoids, then don't overdo it right away because it can be irritating. You also need to wear sunscreen if you're using those treatments.

Many dermatologists will suggest very gentle cleansers like Cetaphil or Cerave products. For severe cystic acne, they may prescribe accutane, topical prescription dose retinoids, or dapsone creams but a course of accutane can take 6-12 months to complete. Usually the skin goes through a transition where it becomes very dry and flakey before it renews to normal.

• Christiana
    Super November 2020 British Columbia
    Christiana ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    If the cause is hormonal and you aren’t going to get back on birth control there likely won’t be an easy fix and you’ll just have to manage it with skin care and diet.
    I’d recommend cutting out or significantly reducing dairy if that’s part of your current diet. Also just eating well in general will help - lots of vegetables, less sugar, etc.
    Don’t go overboard on acne cleaners, spot treatments, etc. Using too many active ingredients or over exfoliating can really strip your skin’s natural oil and make things worse. Use a gentle cleanser on your face and find a good spot treatment that works for you or a gentle acne fighting serum. I really like effaclar duo by La Roche Posay. If your skin is oily enough it might be enough moisture for you as a serum and moisturizer.

For your back I’d look into body washes with benzoyl peroxide and a lightweight non-comedogenic body lotion on top. Cerave will probably make a lotion you can use. Definitely do a patch test for anything with benzoyl peroxide before you use it all over though. It can be quite drying and irritating for some people.

If your acne doesn’t settle over time as your body adjusts its hormone levels I’d also consider seeing a dermatologist.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics