Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Brandi
Curious July 2019 Alberta

Stress

Brandi, on September 26, 2018 at 20:02 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 4
I have been stressing 9ut over my wedding that isn't until July 2019. I keep worrying about my dress and if I still like it as well as about the wedding in general. My fiance's grandparents can no longer come to our wedding because of health reasons so that has shifted our thoughts with the wedding.

When we first got engaged I wanted to elope and have a party back home later since both of our families are from the same town. But we had decided to have more of a traditional wedding with ceremony and reception so that his grandparents could come. Now that his grandparents can't come we dont know what to do. I am worried to disappoint family if we dont do the big traditional thing but I also really wanted something small and easy. Right now we have most of the vendors for more traditional wedding booked but I could still use the photographer and the deposit for venue/catering isn't much if we just lost it.

Can I get some advise from those that have eloped and how family and friends reacted as well as those that thought of both options and how you decided on what you chose?

4 Comments

Latest activity by Leah, on December 6, 2018 at 06:27
  • Leah
    VIP April 2019 British Columbia
    Leah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I’m for eloping and micro weddings.

It’s tough to think about hurting your guests feelings but at the end of the day, it’s about you and your FH and how you want to start this next part of your lives together.

Go with your gut and stick to your decision confidently.
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I feel for your position of not having gradparents attending your wedding. I know 3 years back when i attended my cousins wwdding, my moms brother and SIL couldn't make it due to their health issues. She still carried her day through.

I say to you with deepest thoughts that your day must carry on and acknowledge your grandparents as they are with you in thought. I do find cancelling your vendors is a loss and not worth losing for one day.
  • Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

As much as I'm the kind of girl that wants a big wedding with 250 people - if I were in your shoes then I would elope. It's what you wanted from the start and if the grandparents health is declining like this then it may be in your best interest to get married before it's too late for them. Plus like you said - you could use the photographer still, but I wouldn't give up the venue so fast. It could still be used for a reception space to have a big party with friends and family and depending on what kind of venue it could be really laid back and fun. My suggestion is to make a pro/cons list and go from there. Good luck!

• Tori
    Newbie June 2019 British Columbia
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I am in the same boat right now right down to grandparents that cannot come due to health reasons. My fiance wants the wedding still though. I have talked with many of my family members about eloping and they are actually very supportive of it. It is just one day and it's not about the wedding, it's the marriage that is important. In my opinion, you should begin your marriage the way that you want and other people's opinions should not decide that for you. People might be offended at the idea, but they aren't going to be for long. They should just be happy that you have found someone you want to spend your life with and you don't need a big traditional wedding to celebrate that.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics