Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Lauren
Curious August 2019 Saskatchewan

Sticking out dress regret?

Lauren, on August 12, 2019 at 17:36 Posted in Wedding fashion 0 16
Has anyone worn abdress they hated for their wedding and not regretted it later on?

My wedding is in three weeks and I hate my dress so much. I keep hoping it will be better when I try it on again, or when I have my hair done, or when the alterations are done but every time i try it on again i hate it more than the last time. Three weeks is super short notice to find a dress, especially since i live 4 hours from the city has anyone stuck it out with the dress they hated and not regretted it after the wedding?

16 Comments

Latest activity by Whovian, on August 19, 2019 at 12:04
  • W
    Curious July 2020 Alberta
    Whovian ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    For my first wedding I hated my dress.
    I was able to find accessories I loved that ended up making a world of difference.
  • Sarah
    Expert July 2021 Ontario
    Sarah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    This dress is absolutely stunning wow! I wouldn’t worry about how it makes your hips look. Your waist is tiny and people will notice that and the fact it’s just a big skirt. No one will think you have big hips or anything
  • Erin
    Super September 2019 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Your dress is GORGEOUS! I think you're being too hard on yourself, because you look AMAZING. I'm so sorry you hate it! What a frustrating feeling!! I'm not sure what to tell you, except I'd hate for it to ruin your day! There must be SOMETHING you can do!

• Hélène
    Devoted September 2019 Alberta
    Hélène ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Dang. Well there go my thoughts. I really hope a different seamstress can help you out!
  • Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Well, as I'm sure you've heard by everybody that see's your dress - it looks amazing! But, if it doesn't make you feel like a bride then something should be done.

What is the back? Lace up, buttons, zipper, corset? Even if it is already corset would it be possible to extend the corset down and turn the dress into a drop waist dress?

Have you talked to your seamstress about all the possibilities (even the ones you don't like such as adding a hoop skirt or adding back the crinoline)?

• Lauren
    Lauren ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I actually already took out 4 layers of crinoline because it was super big, and I feel the bodice Cuts off too high up, not sure there is much that can be done in that aspect
  • Hélène
    Devoted September 2019 Alberta
    Hélène ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I know it may seem counter-intuitive, but have you tried a crinoline underneath the skirt? I know it would make it more full but I had similar concerns with my dress for my first wedding. When I put a crinoline underneath it, the fullness made it seem like less of an issue with my hips and highlighted the fact that the dress is supposed to be that way. It was the difference between my feeling frumpy and not.

For the bodice, do you find that it's cutting too high or too low on you? If it's too low, it should be fixable by shortening the straps and maybe adjusting the side seams, if needed, so it sits higher. That being said, I am not a seamstress.

Good luck with it!!

• Becky
    VIP September 2019 Ontario
    Becky ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I hate my dress fully and bought it out of pressure- more so every dress I loved his family hated. I bought this dress that when tried on I couldn't bend or move and asked if could be fixed. His family and store lady said could be fixed. The seamstress said it can't be fixed. I literally can't sit at all, I can't go the bathroom in it- its a corset and it would need to be undone every time.

I literally can't afford another dress so stuck with it. I have a friend who is going to send me a dress she never wore and see if it looks good on me- this way I could change after the ceremony and wear the other dress all night.

• Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Wow your dress is beautiful! I actually love the front of the dress on you!
  • Kathy
    Frequent user August 2019 Ontario
    Kathy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think the dress looks awesome.
  • Casey
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    This looks beautiful on you! Would it be possible for the seamstress to raise the waistline of the dress and add material to the bottom to make it longer? Or even drop the waist a bit.
    May be difficult with such short notice but you could always ask
  • M
    Expert September 2019 Ontario
    Meaghan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    For what it's worth, I think you look stunning in that dress.
    I don't think your hips look bulky at all. Have you tried it with a hoop skirt? That may change how the skirt falls so that you are more pleased with the silhouette.
  • Lauren
    Lauren ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    The issue isn't so much the dress, as it is a beautiful dress, it just isn't the style I wanted and I don't feel like a bride in it.

The back of the dress I do love, the front, not so much. I dont really dont like where the bodice cuts off, it makes my hips look really bulky but that's they style of the dress

Sticking out dress regret? 1

Sticking out dress regret? 2
  • M
    Meaghan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Even if you found a second hand dress, you would still need to get it altered in a very short time frame. What does your dress look like and what do you want to change? You might be able to get some feedback on that here.
  • Lauren
    Lauren ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    It is so far from the style of what I wanted but I hate shopping so I just picked one that I liked okay.

I have just taken it to a second seamstress to see if she can fix stuff the first one said she can't. The issue is that I live a 4 hour drive from the city so it's not like I can just run back and fourth to fittings all the time as I work more than full time hours. Despite the wedding being in three weeks I only have a week to get alterations done as we are flying to the east coast and have 4 days in NB and then only 5 in PEI before the wedding.

At the point where I'm tempted to just scrap the dress and see if I can get a second hand one on short notice that doesn't need much work, but then it's a waste of a $2000 dress, and my mum, who bought it, would be crushed.
  • M
    Meaghan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    What do you hate about it? With 3 weeks to go you might be better off altering it, if at all possible.
    Do you have a picture of you in it?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics