Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Amanda
Featured August 2022 British Columbia

Sticker Shock

Amanda, on October 25, 2022 at 12:12 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 14

Hello Everyone! Was there a vendor or even a venue that you absolutely loved but were completely shocked and taken back by for the price?

My husband and I were completely shocked with how pricey some photographers can be! Yes of course, wedding photographer prices can vary depending on many factors including your wedding’s location (photographers in big cities tend to cost more than in other areas), the type of services and packages you’re looking for, and your chosen photographer’s experience and level of expertise. But we never thought about spending almost $9k for one day yet alone one vendor!

I searched and searched and searched until we found one that was right in our budget, and we clicked really well with and she has done some amazing work! We spent $2350 for 12 hours, 2 shooters, 350+ photos (we actually got just over 1000) and a USB. I'm so glad we went with her because our pictures turned out amazing Smiley heart

14 Comments

Latest activity by Vinod, on October 31, 2022 at 11:31
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I wasn't surprised with the cost of the vendors of just the photographers, others too in the industry as they charge for travel, rooms and food if you're planning a destination wedding. Indian weddings are known for its week weddings and high cost though we don't generally go with just any photographers/videographers. We have to have Indians doing it since the cash deal can be done and avoiding the taxes.

I did do a lot of research and had found the deals given the time to make sure everything was in the package. The videographer wasn't the greatest and the final result was disappointing and unprepared for the day.

• Amanda
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Florals are very expensive! I completely agree! My husband and I went with artificial flowers for our wedding for that exact reason. It was too expensive to go with real!

• Amanda
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yes!!! I completely agree with you on bouquets! It's crazy how expensive they can be!

• Farrah
    Curious April 2023 British Columbia
    Farrah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Sticker shock over here for everything!!!! Lol. But I think what shocked me the most was the price of floral vendors. So I found a small, local floral company for a more justifiable cost and also not doing any boutonnieres for the groomsmen and no corsages for the mothers. I'm having a fusion wedding and my fiance is Indian so while we're opting not to do the traditional 6 days of events we're doing 1 pre-wedding welcome style event with henna. No way I was going to spend on a floral designer for that so I'm just gonna buy some flowers from Costco and call it a day. I was also shocked my photography costs too. I get that it's a long day and there's a lot of post-production involved but many were quoting me $5000+ which I just couldn't justify or stomach personally. So we're doing $3500 for 8 hours, 2 photographers, engagement session included, all photos edited on a USB and in an online gallery, and a boomerang booth included. To me that's still pricey but could be worse I suppose haha.

• Liberty
    Featured May 2022 Alberta
    Liberty ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Honestly pretty much everything 😂 when we first got engaged we wanted to have our wedding for $5000. We quickly realized that would be very hard without making a lot of sacrifices or doing a lot of work ourselves!
    I was definitely shocked with Photography and Videography. But also bridal bouquets!!
  • Julie
    Featured May 2023 Ontario
    Julie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    At first I thought holy crap photography is expensive AF!!! But glad it worked in my favour😊
  • Amanda
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I'm sure you have nothing to worry about!

• Amanda
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That's a great price for 8 hours! I also completely agree with you with alterations. Some places charge an arm and a leg! I got mine down at the bridal store where I purchased my wedding dress and I believe it came to $360 for adding a bustle, bra cups and bringing up the straps. Luckily I didn't have to get mine hemmed!

• Amanda
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

YES!!! Veils can be expensive too!! I was lucky enough to find one at the bridal store where I purchased my dress on sale for $130. Definitely shop around to see what you can find!

• C
    VIP September 2023 Ontario
    Carine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

It's crazy how expensive how some venues and vendors are. I almost opt out of a photographer, I was like people can take pictures, but was told Naynay on that. I reached out to someone who wanted to expand his portfolio. Not sure he's a scam or he's legit, we will find out on the wedding day. lol.

• Amanda
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

We couldn't justify spending so much money on photos either. I think for what you paid for was a good amount! Can't wait to see some photos Smiley heart

• Julie
    Featured May 2023 Ontario
    Julie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Ok...so i'm not the only one that had a "fall of my chair" moment.

I thought for sure photography until I read these comments WOW That's insane. My photographer quoted us $1600 with a package that included 8 hours of coverage, unlimited photos, USB, and online gallery of all photos.

Another item I was in shock - alterations. The ladies at the stores quoted me $300 as a starting price to hem the train. Smiley atonished I did call around to local seamstress in my area and that was pretty much the going rate. Luckily, the lovely lady that sold me the dress offered to do my alterations EVERYTHING for $400.

• Devan
    Newbie June 2023 British Columbia
    Devan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Photography for sure!

I knew I would be spending a lot because of having 2 weddings, but we require photo and video and received a quote for just photo for $16,000! Sourcing a 3rd party videographer would've been min. $5000 on top of that. Couldn't believe my eyes!

I knew I didn't want to compromise on quality though, so I continued my search by only inquiring with companies who's editing styles I loved who had shot many fusion weddings, and came across who I ultimately booked with for $12,000 photo AND video, for 27 hours of coverage that I can split up however I need (3 hours for jaggo, 2 for maiyan, etc). We did our engagement shoot on Sunday, and we absolutely LOVE the guys we picked, and I couldn't be happier.

On another note.... VEILS?! I bought my wedding dress yesterday, and I knew I wanted the veil that I had tried on last month when I picked my dress. She told me the price of my dress (huge sale, $575, still in shock), and I asked her to throw the veil in there too. She then say's "That'll be $1050" and I'm like....???!?!?! I mean, I get it, but I had NO idea! I ended up leaving it for now, was hard to justify paying almost as much as my dress for the veil. I'll probably still buy it, mind you, but definitely not right now.

• Kate
    Featured August 2022 Ontario
    Kate ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Yes I would have to agree! I was most surprised by photography prices and make up and hair (however once I experienced the hours spent with the hair and make up and the beautiful job that was done I was able to understand and justify the price).

However for photography, I would have loved to go with one that I found however her starting price was $ 3,500.00 and I could not justify - she did of course have beautiful work but still was a no for me especially because our evening was from 5pm-11pm and I cut out all of the getting ready and dress photos so could not justify it.

We ended up going with a package from a company for $1,100.00 and that included 4 hours of coverage, unlimited photos, USB, and online gallery of all photos - I was very pleased with this price for what we got! Still waiting on the photos but hopefully they turn out beautiful.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics