Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Terresa
Curious October 2019 British Columbia

Stepmother of the Bride Dress Etiquette

Terresa, on June 26, 2019 at 13:12 Posted in Wedding fashion 0 27

From what I've read, usually the MOB sets the "standard" for dress. She buys hers first, followed by the MOG. If everyone gets along and the SMOB will be sitting up from with the bride's parents, the SMOB picks her dress after the MOG. If not, she's considered a guest and dresses accordingly.

But, in this case, the MOB is probably not even attending (she doesn't speak to any of us right now), and the bride considers the SMOB (me) as "more of a mom for the past few years" (bride's words). So, does the SMOB lead or follow in this case?

My step-daughter is getting married in July 2020, so I have lots of time to figure this out. But I don't want to create unnecessary problems along the way. Please share your thoughts and experiences!

27 Comments

Latest activity by Terresa, on July 3, 2019 at 12:47
  • Terresa
    Terresa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thank you!

• Terresa
    Terresa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Awe, I'm sorry about your relationship with your mom. I'm glad you have your SM and your MIL to plan and enjoy with!

• Terresa
    Terresa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thank you!

• A
    Devoted October 2019 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I do not talk to my mom and she will not be there, I am taking my step mom out this month to start looking. If she doesnt find something we have a date set August long weekend where I will be taking both stepmom and MIL.
  • Lisa
    Expert August 2019 Alberta
    Lisa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Wow, I love this! Very classy!

• Steph
    Expert June 2022 Ontario
    Steph ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I would say check with your stepdaughter. That kind of rule/order would probably depend on how she feels and if you or the MOG have specific roles or anything for the special day. Good luck! I'm sure you'll look fabulous!
  • Terresa
    Terresa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We've been online shopping and this is our current favourite.

Stepmother of the Bride Dress Etiquette 1
  • Terresa
    Terresa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I think you're right about the nature of the relationship setting the standard. Oddly, I guess I was worried that some people might think I was being pushy to take on the role of MOB, even though that's exactly the role that the bride has viewed as mine from the start. As far as she's concerned, I've been her mom for nearly a decade. I'm the one she shares all her good news with, and the one she comes to for advice, support, or a shoulder to cry on in rough patches.

It's tough when the parents don't get along. Her mom has hardly spoken a word to her dad for over 15 years. Her mom would definitely not sit beside her dad, if she did come to the wedding, so that would create a whole new issue.

If your parents and stepparents would all sit amicably at the ceremony, then that would be ideal. Stepparents could be seated after mom, if dad's walking you down the aisle. If you're walking down alone, then they could walk down the aisle as couples, I would think. If not, then the way it used to be is that the stepparents would sit a row or two back and be essentially treated as guests. Not ideal these days, but that used to be the standard. At the reception, it would be easier, since each current couple could have their own table. Unless a stepparent is particularly important to you, I'm thinking they wouldn't give a speech.

• Kelly
    Expert September 2019 Manitoba
    Kelly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I didn't realize there was a dress pecking order for moms lol. I don't believe that many people follow these etiquette rules anymore. My mother in law had a dress long before my mom even went shopping.

Maybe talk with your stepdaughter and see what her thoughts are on who should pick first, or if it even matters to her.

• Amanda
    Expert July 2022 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

This is a tough one, and I actually have a lot of questions for you as I am on the opposite side of this. My Mother will be picking her Dress the same time MIL does, that being said, I haven't really thought about my Step Mother having to pick a dress as I didn't really consider her to take a "BIG" part on this day, as I feel like it should be a day more for My Mother & Father.

If you have more of the Mother relationship I would speak to your step daughter and see what she would like and how she feels. If the MOB isn't attending I would step in right away as the MOB, but I would definitely speak with her first.

That being said my relationship with my step parents are all AMAZING no issues with anyone, but My parents till this day don't get along very well. My Question to you would be - Should my Step Mother have a larger part in my wedding like speech or Entrance? What do you think about it?

• Terresa
    Terresa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    These really are old rules that throw back to when the bride's parents hosted (and paid for the wedding), so I guess they are mostly a thing of the past. Thanks, everyone, for the reassurance! I really shouldn't worry so much!
  • Amanda
    Super June 2019 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Our mom's made sure they were on the same page style wise and both went out and got whatever they want. I personally have never heard of this buying order before.
  • Holly
    VIP June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    None of the mother in our wedding following buying order. I think my stepmom got hers first, then my mother-in-law and then my mom. I don't think it matters who purchases first. I've never heard of this. Maybe talk to your step-daughter and see what her opinion is on this and go from there. I don't think it matters who purchases first or not. Hopefully everyone involved also doesn't seem to mind and can just go along with what works best.
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Mothers of the Groom and Bride may have different dress styles they like based on the colour you choose for them. The choice of going the same dress they both like can be a solution to a win win case.

• Terresa
    Terresa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My FH (bride's dad) and I are (finally) getting married in October, but we haven't had this sort of thing to deal with, being older. It honestly never occurred to me until sometime in the middle of the night last night. Then I started googling the etiquette this morning and got myself all worried.

• Casey
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I agree with Lisa. Check with the bride, it is the easiest way to go.

My step mom is wearing a silver/ grey dress and my bridesmaids are wearing burgundy. I am a little scared to see what my MIL will be wearing lol

• Terresa
    Terresa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Oh yikes! That could be a bit awkward. I hope they both have a good sense of humour about it and you okay with it!

• Terresa
    Terresa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

We've talked about what she'd like and we're exchanging ideas and pix we find. She wants her dad in his "whites", so we've talked about what she envisions for me to wear that will go with his uniform. And maybe taking advantage of summer sales or this year's sample sales. You're right, it's her opinion that counts.

• Terresa
    Terresa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

We have fun shopping together, even online. (I even bought her her wedding dress.)

• Terresa
    Terresa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

She's given me some guidelines and we're already sending ideas back and forth. You're right, it's her opinion that matters.

• Becky
    VIP September 2019 Ontario
    Becky ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would take the led like you were mentioning then- honestly this is first I have heard about it and I wish this would have been considered for my wedding but it wasn't.. My mom did buy hers and then the MOG did and its exact same color and style just shorter. So hoping photo's look okay.

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Well... last week I went to go see my FH's Mom with him as he has been out of province for work and we were due for a visit.... she already bought her dress....

I mean, as long as it doesn't match the bridesmaids colour I don't care - it looks like any other formal dress to me anyway. I may just get the parents buttons to wear to stand out (I don't like corsages or boutonnieres..)

I say to wait until she tells you what's what. Now would be the time to buy the dress so that it's for the Summertime but maybe when there are sales going on you could bring it up that way? Just look for her opinion on what you wear.

• Terresa
    Terresa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are very close, and I'm so glad we are! As far as she's concerned, I'm "mom". My daughters are her sisters and will be bridesmaids. She's including me in the dreaming and planning, and I bought her wedding dress for her. Her mom hasn't even responded to her message about the engagement. Maybe I'm overthinking?

• Terresa
    Terresa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Beautiful!

• Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My mom went shopping one day and asked what I thought about different dresses. I told her I was thinking navy and maybe floor length - she tried one some shorter ones but this was my favourite:

Stepmother of the Bride Dress Etiquette 2

She actually got her dress before mine and my dad is getting a tie/pocket square to match.

I would talk with your step-daughter about her thoughts and maybe even ask her to come with you while you shop! I don't think the whole MOB buys first really applies here, I think you'd be okay with buying first.

• Brittany
    Devoted August 2019 Alberta
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Honestly, I would just have an open conversation with your step daughter. Ask her thoughts, even ask if she wants to come dress shopping with you. Or even if you know the MOG speak to her on what she is planning on doing.

My step dad is my dad as far as I am concerned, and from the sounds of it you and your step daughter are fairly close as well.

It's always smart to ask the bride, and that should alleviate any unforeseen drama.

• Lisa
    Expert August 2019 Alberta
    Lisa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would recommend looking for a dress in a style you like and then check with your step daughter to see if she feels it goes with her ideas for the day - MOB is irrelevant if your step daughter is okay with it, as it's her wedding. Smiley smile

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics