Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Sonja
VIP September 2017 Ontario

Splurge or save: wedding and engagement rings

Sonja, on August 23, 2017 at 23:47 Posted in Before the wedding 0 34

Did you look for a deal or did you lay out all the cash for your rings?

34 Comments

Latest activity by Elise, on July 25, 2018 at 18:17
  • Elise
    Beginner April 2018
    Elise ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I paid just under 3000 for my set from honest solitaire. It was moissanite diamond alternative which is far less expensive as natural diamond and you get a way bigger rock that sparkles like crazy.

• Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

He gave me a price cap when I was picking out my engagement ring and the ring we chose came in at 60% of that price cap. We went to a private jeweler so we got a little more bang for our buck lol.

• Maegan
    Super July 2018 British Columbia
    Maegan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    It is! White gold band with a rose gold centre. My FHs ring matches it. His is a titamium band with a rose gold centre. Different pattern though.
  • Carol
    Super March 2018 Ontario
    Carol ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That is beautiful
  • Sonja
    Sonja ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Very nice. It looks like rose gold in the centre. Beautiful.

• Maegan
    Maegan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Do you have a specific pattern in mind or just a pattern? Id recommend checking out some online etsy stores... That is where my FH and I got ours and there were a lot of options. I also wanted no diamonds and just a band with a pattern. This is the ring we picked for my engagement ring/wedding band. The store I liked best is called Alexis Treasury but there are lots of stores to pick from!

Splurge or save: wedding and engagement rings 1
  • Dana
    Curious May 2018 British Columbia
    Dana ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Haha I've heard of alternative stones before. These are the display photos I got while purchasing. They are more peachy/rose gold coloured but they don't necessarily photograph as such, always looking a touch more golden. One thing I did not do which I recommend is to check the hardness of your centre stone. Mine is a little soft at a 7 whereas diamonds are 10, so I'm at risk of scratching it more, though it is protected by the halo of diamonds and the setting. If you're opting for anything softer than 8, choose a setting that protects the centre stone and be prepared to replace in ten years if necessary (morganite are actually quite affordable on their own), and baby the hell out of it. I don't do any cleaning, work or anything risky with it on.

Splurge or save: wedding and engagement rings 2

Splurge or save: wedding and engagement rings - 1
  • Sonja
    Sonja ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I would love to see a picture of your rings. You might be starting a new trend!!

• Dana
    Curious May 2018 British Columbia
    Dana ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I demanded (yes, demanded) no diamond as a centre stone because they're frankly overpriced and not at all rare. I ended up choosing rose gold and morganite and let my fiancé choose from those limitations, and he chose a very extravagant, ornate engagement ring that didn't break the bank at all, yet looked absolutely fabulous. (Engagement Ring 2300, matching band 1000, his band $400 hammered matte 10kgold)
  • Sonja
    Sonja ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hi Kayla, well, if he as the money and wants to spend it on you, that's really nice.

• Sonja
    Sonja ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Isn't it nice that he wants to make you happy. It's all about compromise.

• Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yes he took an interest which was different as he doesn't wear any jewelry now. I had thought he would want something plain, as the ring wearing is mainly to make me happy.
  • Kayla
    Devoted September 2017 Alberta
    Kayla ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I know he spent quite a bit on my engagement ring, even though i had a much cheaper one in mind (not complaining, i just think he's crazy lol). But he did get a wicked deal on it, as well as on my wedding band.

My wedding band was $800 and his was $530.

• Sasha
    Super October 2017 Ontario
    Sasha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yes exactly!!Smiley catface
  • Carol
    Super March 2018 Ontario
    Carol ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My FH designed my engagement ring, then had it made. If he had purchased it in the store, it would have been over $6500.00, my center stone is an Aquamarine which I had always wanted, he had the band designed wider and thicker so it doesn't wear quickly, my setting is actually worth more then the center stone. The cost came in just under 4000.00. I love it because he made it for me, but I would have loved anything from him.
  • Sonja
    Sonja ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Well, it's just a ring. It's a symbol, that's all. It doesn't make the marriage any better to have an expensive ring, and doesn't make it worse to have, let's say, a second hand ring. It's all about what the ring symbolizes. It's a circle to represent never ending love.

• Amanda
    Super August 2018 Alberta
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Um... kinda saved... kinda splurged...
    He got me a promise ring 7 years ago and that was about $400.
    I have no idea how much my engagement ring was, but I'd like to think he didn't spend more than $1500 on it.
    His wedding band won't be too expensive, about $300... but my ring is (probably) going to have to be custom made.
    I don't want any gems/stones in it, just a gold band. But what I want is a thicker rounded band with a pattern etched into it. We've gone to a few jewellers and they've all told us that we will probably have to custom order it... so we are looking at about $700-$800 for my band.
    These rings are forever, so we wanted something special, but we didn't want to spend a fortune on our rings. I think we did pretty good. Haha
  • Maegan
    Maegan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Saved... We skipped the engagement ring and bought our wedding bands right off the bat. We ordered them online and it came out to $999 for both his band and my band with shipping and we just love them!
  • Sasha
    Sasha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Oh yeah for sure! If someone has the money to buy an expensive ring then I say go for it! For us it's just not possible and we could not justify going into debt for the ring. If I won the lottery that would be a different story hahah
  • Sonja
    Sonja ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yes, that's very true, Erin. They need to last a long time.

• Sonja
    Sonja ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hey Sasha, Most couples have to watch their money but on the other hand, the rings are the only thing that you have from the wedding (except your photos) so I can understand if someone wants to spend a little more.

• Sonja
    Sonja ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Wow, Jen. That's a really nice promise ring. No wonder you didn't want him to spend any more. So exciting.

• Sonja
    Sonja ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yes, Bethany. It really does depend on your budget. We didn't have oodles to spend on rings but I'm still happy. It doesn't bring me any more or less happiness.

• Erin
    Expert September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I dont know the exact price of my engagement ring, but I think hubby splurged. As for our wedding rings, we did splurge as well but we look at it as a good thing since we will have these rings forever and we wanted quality!

• B
    Super August 2017 Alberta
    Bethany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think it must depend on your budget but I think we splurged for sure. My engagement ring was 3k, my promise ring before that was 700. I actually bought him a ring when he bought me a promise ring which was 300, then I purchased his wedding band that was 600.
  • Daphne
    Super July 2017 British Columbia
    Daphne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I have no idea how much my engagement ring cost, but we did get wedding bands that we liked. We were ok spending a bit more on the bands because we'll be wearing them every day forever. Mine was the more expensive one of the two, but the prices were reasonable for what we got.
  • Jen889
    Devoted May 2018 Quebec
    Jen889 ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We used my promise ring that my FH gave me for our one year anniversary. Most people dont get a promise ring before hand, especially one worth $3,000. I LOVE my ring, its a unique vintage design with diamonds and white gold. i couldnt ask him to spend another couple thousand (even though he wanted to) on another ring when i love this one like no tomorrow.
    We got it refinished so it looked brand new and he proposed with it. I didnt even know it was ready for pick up lol
    We got our wedding bands and found a matching design for my ring and he got a simple ring which is totally different from his normal out there style. We love them!
  • Sasha
    Sasha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Right? That's more than the cost of our wedding haha I could definitely not justify paying that much for a ring. My fiancé won't tell me what he spent on it but he got a deal. I have a feeling he got it for 2k as it is a friend who is a jeweler who made it so he got a deal. Our wedding bands cost 200 for his and 250 for mine. Which is still more than we wanted to spend!
  • Sonja
    Sonja ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Well that's different; a man wanting a particular style. It's nice that he took a real interest. He splurged on the engagement ring, and we're saving on the wedding rings because I'll be receiving his grandmother's wedding band. I bought one for him online; 10k gold band for under $100.00. I like 10k because it doesn't bend as easily through heat and work. The higher the gold content, the softer the ring.

• Sonja
    Sonja ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yes, I remember you talking about that, Chloe, in the honeymoon discussion. It's a very unique idea. There's only so much money available so we have to choose what's important to us.

• Sonja
    Sonja ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Wow, 8K on an engagement ring?? That would be what we spent on both our rings plus the wedding!

• Sasha
    Sasha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We splurged on the engagement ring but saved on wedding rings. Although some people would say we saved on the engagement ring also as I've seen a lot of people spend like 8k or more on an engagement ring

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics