Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Amanda
Super August 2018 Alberta

Spare time

Amanda, on July 30, 2017 at 02:11 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 11
Hey guys!
So I'm in a little bit of a pickle... we have a fairly large gap between our ceremony and our reception, and we aren't sure what to do...
We chose our date cause it has a special meaning to us, but the location where we wanted to have the ceremony only had the 11am time available for that date. Our wedding is in August so we were kinda ok with that. It's not as hot and the sun won't be super intense. So we booked it. But we are having the reception at a hall in a different location at a usual time... Cocktails to start at 4. Dinner at 6.
So, say even if the ceremony last until noon, there's a 4 hour gap between the two parts of our wedding... What do I do? Do I let my guests fend for themselves? Like, go out for lunch or something... Or attempt to plan something... or what??
I just know that 4 hours is a pretty large gap... But everything is pretty much exactly what we wanted... I just don't want my guests to be too bored or awkward... any ideas??

11 Comments

Latest activity by Ashley, on August 10, 2017 at 20:06
  • Ashley
    Super June 2018 Alberta
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

It's not that bad of a gap. i'm getting married at 2, and our ceremony will only take a half hour max. and our cocktails aren't until 5, dinner at 6. Weddings have gaps for pictures and what not that is completely normal.

• Daniela
    Frequent user May 2018 Ontario
    Daniela ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

All weddings I've been too there has been a 3-4 hour gap between ceremony and reception. As a guest I just went home to relax for a bit. As part of the bridal party it was photo time.

• Vanessa
    Expert August 2018 Manitoba
    Vanessa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I have been to 2 weddings now where there was a 3 hours gap between the ceremony and dinner/dance. In one instant we went shopping and out for a bite to eat and another we were invited back to a friend of the family's house. For our wedding we will be getting married I believe at 3 pm, cocktails at 5 pm dinner at 6 pm. We will be having yard games as well as a light snack but that's because we are out in the middle of the country. But some people love to explore their surroundings.

• Amanda
    Super August 2018 Alberta
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Thank you so much everyone!!! It helps knowing that this isn't such an uncommon thing! And I'm stressing over nothing... lol.
  • Laura
    Frequent user August 2018 Ontario
    Laura ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I feel like that is the norm with my family when it comes to wedding. Don't feel like you're obligated to do anything for your guests. It gives people the opportunity to go and relax before the party later on anyway. During that time you'll be doing pictures then you'll get to relax at your venue before everyone comes too.
  • Melinda
    Devoted September 2017 Ontario
    Melinda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My friend and I went to see a movie in between a ceremony and reception once. It was pretty funny because we got dressed up and went to the church, then put on joggers and went to see a movie, then went home and got dressed up again. Didn't bother us!

• Laura
    Super September 2017 Alberta
    Laura ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I have been to several weddings like this where the ceremony is in the morning and the reception is in the evening. You don't need to really do anything for your guests. you will likely be doing photos during part of the time and the guests will fend for themselves. People will go for lunch and catch up with those they haven't seen in a while as others have said you can include recommendations for restaurants you and your FH love. I personally wouldn't worry about it...other than remembering to make sure you and your hubby have time to grab a snack!

• B
    Super August 2017 Alberta
    Bethany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I don't have this problem but if I did, I know the Lodge I'm getting married at has crazy amount of activities to do. Maybe setting something up for the guests or at least give them some suggestions is a good idea.
  • Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My friend has a 3hr gap between her ceremony and reception and has given everyone a lieu of things to do in town. I think your guests will be fine, just give them some options.
  • Alexa
    Devoted July 2018 Alberta
    Alexa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

On the wedding invitations we are giving guests information on best places to eat for lunch and things to do. We have around a 3 hr gap and most of our guests are from out of town. Smiley smile

• Louise
    Devoted September 2017 Quebec
    Louise ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Most of the time in situations like this, many people will go home or grab lunch somewhere.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics