Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Genna
Curious July 2022 British Columbia

Sorting venues makes me very depressed. Please help

Genna, on January 27, 2020 at 23:28 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 10
I really get overwhelmed and depressed with this and wanted to know if others struggle with this. I've sent quote requests and information requests to several venues and they've been great sending me info but the info is just sooooo much. Everytime I try to sort it and put it into a spreadsheet I just feel overwhelmed and shut down. I can't bring myself to do it. FH doesn't want to do anything planning related until Feb... So 4 days. I wanted the information on hand for when we start planning since he is a terrible planner and not good with things like that. Does anyone else have this problem? How do you deal?

Wedding planner isn't an option... I've heard how much they cost and can't afford it unless he pays for it fully.

10 Comments

Latest activity by Ashley, on January 28, 2020 at 16:49
  • Ashley
    VIP August 2020 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Cut out venues that you dont like, that are too far or you otherwise wont chose. also dont bother adding them to your spreadsheet unless they have your date available. that should narrow done some. but if youre still over whelmed pick all the venues close to your house and start with those ones then if you dont like those move on to the ones in your city.

• Megan
    Frequent user April 2021 Ontario
    Megan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think you have to prioritize what's most important to you, whether it's price, location, all inclusive, great food, etc. Then you should be able to eliminate a bunch off the top. Also figure out if you want an all inclusive vs DIY. It sounds like you may want to go the all inclusive route, as most things are included and therefore less for you to worry about. I would take your top 3-5, and start comparing them or visiting them.

Do you have anyone close to you that loves to organize? I'm the type of person that would do this for my friend just for fun...

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Majority of the venues we had pamphlets for were a price per head rather than fee of venue/food/drink/etc., which made most quotes upwards of $30,000 for our guest list of over 200... so then out of the venues that allowed outside catering we had pretty similar pricing across the board and just had to factor in the food (since all the venues that was a package deal didn't offer open bar like how we were planning on doing).

We ended up with something like 20% towards venue, 20% food, 15% booze, 10% Photography/Videogrpaher, 2.5% DJ, etc.

• Genna
    Genna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    How do you sort all that pricing though? There's venue, reception, food, then other... The other is becoming very difficult to sort.
  • Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

What I did was make sure to have a print out of all the venues (I got the pamphlets from a wedding show we attended), and then went through them one by one by looking them up online and putting them into sepearte piles.

1. Maybe-Yes (fits the price and look of what you want)

2. Maybe (waiting on prices/quotes but otherwise pretty)

3. No (the price or the venue wasn't what you want)

Then you can get rid of the No pile, and when you reiceve the emails about pricing for some that didn't have it listed - go through them again. We went from haveing about 2 dozen to go through to having about 1 dozen, and then top 4.

• Genna
    Genna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    All of these are out of town... Some are 17 hours away. Going to then will be very difficult
  • Honeylie
    Frequent user August 2021 Quebec
    Honeylie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hi gorgeous,

Have you filtered out the theme you want to go for?

I would say start with 5 max - filter them out by what you do not like with each venue. This will help eliminate a bunch.

Next ,if budget is a concern, look at the one that will be less pricey and move your way up in numbers.

Hope this helped a little Smiley laugh

• Amelia
    Master October 2020 New Brunswick
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Do you have a friend or potential bridesmaid who could help you sort through them? You could have them help you narrow them down before you show FH so that he is less overwhelmed too.
    Even if you can get some help to make pros and cons lists for a few of the venues it might help you eliminate a couple or show you what you like about certain ones.
    Kelsie's suggestion about seeing them in person is a great idea too.
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We did go in person to the venue of our choice first not realizing it was the one we were going to book. I had gone to another near by walking distance to inquire with a wedding consultant. They want the amount of the budget just for the hall, food and bar.
    Internet search was also another way for knowing if the venue had packages to view or call and inquire/make appointment as mentioned. Leaving information to wait and getting vague replies doesn't help any way possible.
    Don't get discouraged or feel shut down because of this. Some venue mansgers or owners don't have that professionalism in them.
  • Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    If you’re trying to do an all inclusive venue (which includes everything on site - room, food, booze, tablecloths, chairs, etc. it can be a lot.

What helped us was seeing the venues we were interested in in person. We booked appointments with the two places we saw and they gave us a quote for exactly what we wanted when we went so it was less overwhelming.
    I also think getting to talk to someone on site with any questions is a lot easier/more helpful than trying to sort everything out by email.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics