Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Andrée-Anne
Newbie November 2017 Ontario

Sorry you are not invited to my wedding?

Andrée-Anne, on May 24, 2017 at 13:08 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 6
Hi girls, Kinda having a problem and need some advices.... Here's the thing.... my dad and sister are in a "war" for the past 6 years if not more. I told my sister i was getting married with out inviting her so she did not get the info by someone else.Got a text saying that she will be there that war she has with my dad should not get her to miss out on important events like that.I need my daddy to walk me down the aisle and if she is there my dad will just leave (yes the "war" is that bad...) I dont want my wedding to be awkward and cold nor my dad leavingBut at the same time it breaks my heart to not have her thereHow can i tell her she is NOT invited with out starting another war?? Please help Confused bride to be

6 Comments

Latest activity by Melinda, on May 31, 2017 at 13:39
  • Melinda
    Devoted September 2017 Ontario
    Melinda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

That is a good idea! Thanks!

• Katherine
    Frequent user August 2017 Quebec
    Katherine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    A helpful piece of advice for Melinda, you can give a picture of her to your bartender and they will use it to identify her and then be the ones to cut her off before she gets drunk. I know many venues offer that. That way it doesn't have to be another guest's job to cut her off and deal with any drama, the bartender will handle any situation and your guests can enjoy their evening.
  • Katherine
    Super September 2017 New Brunswick
    Katherine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    That is not a great situation... I don't have anything to add... Rotten that adults can't suck it up and act like adults for a few hours to make you happy.
  • Melinda
    Devoted September 2017 Ontario
    Melinda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Maybe you have a friend or relative who you can put in charge of "drama control" or something...? Someone to make sure that your sister and your dad do not get too close to each other if at all possible...? We don't want to invite my FH's sister because she's drunk and inappropriate at every function that she goes to, but we figure she's family and we can't exclude her. However, my sister and my FH's Mom are planning to keep a very close eye on her to ensure that she gets cut off from alcohol before she starts acting up. I don't know if something like that would work in your situation since you said your Dad would leave as soon as he saw your sister. Maybe you can talk to him and explain how much it means to you to have both of them there. You can even tell him that he doesn't have to talk to her or be near her at all, the only thing you ask for him to just not fight with her. I think that's what I would do - I would just tell them both that they better be decent human beings for one day for my sake. Everyone should be capable of that.

• Loni
    Devoted September 2018 Ontario
    Loni ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

If you don't want her there then I would just respectfully tell her the reasons why.

Are you and your sister close? Does she have to miss out just because your dad doesn't want to see her? In the future, do you think you'll look back and regret her not being there?

If so, I'd hope they can both be grown up enough to at least respectfully avoid each other for the night. It's who you want to be surrounded by and celebrate with that should be there, and ultimately this decision is made by you, not by somebody else who says they'll leave if they don't agree with your guest list.

• Laura
    Super September 2017 Alberta
    Laura ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Without knowing the background I would suggest your talk to her (and possibly your father as well) but you can tell her that for your wedding she needs to work things out with your father, a temporary cease fire or a reconciliation that is up to her. If she can't or won't then she isn't welcome at your wedding, you can tell her that it isn't fair to make you chose between the 2 of them but if that is what she wants then you have chosen and her war with your dad DOES mean that she misses out on important events. Put the choice in her court, your father will be there and you don't want the war at your wedding she can choose to either fix the problem or not attend she can't have a battle at your wedding. I would also talk to some of your friends and family and task them with making her leave if she does show up. And this might start a war but that is your sister's choice.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics