Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Randa
Curious July 2018 Ontario

Something to acknowledge family that has passed on

Randa, on September 27, 2017 at 15:58 Posted in DIY 0 33

Hi everyone,

My friend gave me a great idea. I am going to have a bunch of picture frames with photos of the wedding of close family members. My aunt passed away last year and my fiance's parents both died when he was quite young and we will obviously have their wedding photos, however, I would like to add something else such as a candle. Does anyone have any ideas that would acknowledge them in a special way.

33 Comments

Latest activity by Cameron, on April 14, 2018 at 06:01
  • Cameron
    Newbie March 2020 British Columbia
    Cameron ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    This is a lovely idea!
  • Geneviève
    VIP September 2020 Ontario
    Geneviève ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

For the ceremony, I've seen the chair left empty with a monogramed sign either on the back or the seat saying "for those who couldn't make it today because heaven is so far away" and I found that really, really touching. We both have grandparents that would have loved to be with us and honouring them with that small gesture was the least we could do. We haven't fully decided yet what to do but that was definitely an option.

• Candace
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Candace ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I was at a wedding where they had a rock that they had painted and put in front of each picture frame. For our wedding we are doing picture frames and putting an object that belonged to the person beside the frame

• Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I plan on having small frames (bought from Michaels) with the photos of all family members who have passed hanging from my bouquet as I walk down the isle. During the reception the bouquet and the photos will be on display on a table close to the wedding cake with a note about each person

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Hurricane lamo with a note to remember them.

Something to acknowledge family that has passed on 1

Something to acknowledge family that has passed on 2
  • A
    Newbie October 2018 Alberta
    Annalise ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My sister in law put my grandmother and her grandmother's rings in her bouquet. I believe she tied them on with lace from my Mom and her Mom's dresses as well.

• Randa
    Randa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We just went and met with an officiant and I mentioned that maybe he could say something about my Fiance's parents, but he (FH) said that he didn't want anything said. He is going to light a candle (along with his sister) just before the processional.

• Jen889
    Devoted May 2018 Quebec
    Jen889 ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Funny enough my FH is the same as yours. Hes let me plan almost everything but said no to the memorial table as he said it was morbid lol so i got little pendants to attach to my bouquet as well, from etsy.
  • Megan
    Curious December 2017 Prince Edward Island
    Megan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We have a memorial table as well! We are having photos of those people whether they be solo pictures of on their wedding day if both are passed. We are also putting a jar of Jelly Beans out on the table because my FH's Nanny passed away last year about a week after we got engaged, and she gave them to all of her 13 children and 70+ grandchildren whenever anyone visited! We had them at her funeral as well so it's kind of her symbol.

• Randa
    Randa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are thinking that my fiance and his sister are going to light a candle at the beginning of the ceremony, just before I walk up the aisle.

• Melissa
    Devoted November 2017 Ontario
    Melissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

This is one of the last details we have to finalize for our wedding too!

We are having a small table with photos on an old window frame of those who are no longer with us, there will be a poem and a few candles acknowledging that we know they are there with us in spirit.

• Ashley
    Super June 2018 Alberta
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

My fiancé and I are setting up a mini table with pictures of ones we wish were with us in person that day, but sadly are in heaven. Just like the photos listed. Super cute and very meaningful.

• Lisa
    VIP May 2018 Ontario
    Lisa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you! That's very kind of you!!!
  • Randa
    Randa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That's a great idea. To give something in their names to the cancer society. I will say a prayer for your grandmother. I hope she gets better soon.
  • Randa
    Randa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Wow Chantelle. That is truly beautiful. I am so sorry for your loss but what a wonderful to have your cousin with you spirit.
  • Chanelle
    Frequent user September 2019 British Columbia
    Chanelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I had a cousin who was like a big sister to me and always pictured her as a bridesmaid, but she died of cancer at 23. To honour her presence, but without bringing the day down too much, my sister (a bridesmaid) will be walking down the isle with this beautiful lantern and an eternity candle inside. I’m planning to either engrave the glass on the side or use a glass writing pen and put a short poem, her name, and the year she was born and died. We will make a short acknowledgement at the beginning of the ceremony.
    My MOH had a lovely idea to get the lantern now (just got engaged) and bring the lantern to all our wedding events so she is there in spirit. It’s been so touching, and between wedding events I have the lantern on display in my house and it always warms my heart.
  • Lisa
    VIP May 2018 Ontario
    Lisa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I think it is important for you to have something to honour his parents!!! My cousin's fiance lost his mom to lukemia and they have donated on behalf of the guests in his mother's honour and mentioning her throughout the evening. Sorry to hear about the loss of your aunt and his parents. I found out yesterday my grandmother is ill and I don't know what I will do if she doesn't make my wedding. She's the last grandparent I have. I'll be heartbroken. I'm her only granddaughter and she's been waiting for this wedding for a long time! I keeping praying she'll be there.
  • Randa
    Randa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I was a little afraid of it causing people to feel sad as well. This was my only concern so I understand what your fiance is worried about. My fiance's parents have both passed as well as my aunt.

• Randa
    Randa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I love the idea of adding the centerpieces to the table!

• Sydney
    Expert August 2018 Ontario
    Sydney ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are doing the same idea! I wanted a little "memorial table" with picture frames for those who cant be there. When we planned our centerpieces (geometric flower vases) we got a few extras - that way we could put them on other tables as well. We had planned to put them on the card/welcome table, and decided we could also put one on the memorial table as well!

• Randa
    Randa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Thank you Lisa. That's a beautiful idea. PS I think your fiancé is the same as most men. They leave most of the wedding plans to us which I think generally works well !!
  • Lisa
    VIP May 2018 Ontario
    Lisa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    3 of my grandparents have passed away and I wanted to do something similar however my FH felt thats it's supposed to be the happiest moment and he didn't want there to be an element of sadness. Because he's let me plan most of the wedding, as he's not much of a detail guy, I felt I needed to honour his feeling about it. (Was shocked he even had one). Lol So because have their memory close to me on my a wedding day is important, I'm getting photo pendants made that I can add to my bouquet, down the stem sitting over my hands. You can find the pendants on ETSY.
  • Alanah
    Frequent user July 2018 British Columbia
    Alanah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Don't really have anything planned for the ceremony I was thinking of maybe reserving a seat but I want to put up a table at the reception with a nice sign and photos of the people no longer with us with some candles lit. Here's some examples.

Something to acknowledge family that has passed on - 1

Something to acknowledge family that has passed on - 2
  • Maegan
    Super July 2018 British Columbia
    Maegan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I think his mom had two and then they borowed a couple more from friends so they didnt have to buy any.
    Ive also seen a pretty cool idea on pinterest that you can just buy the kerosene adapter on top with a wick and basically turn anything into a kerosene lantern.
  • Randa
    Randa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Another lovely idea. Where did they kerosene lanterns?
  • Maegan
    Super July 2018 British Columbia
    Maegan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    At my brother in laws wedding they had a display with a kerosene lantern for each missing family member. They didnt label them or have photos(abouding the memorial feel) but it was something to acknowledge they were missed. To anybody outside the family it just looked like a decoration.
  • Randa
    Randa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That's a nice idea. Thanks

• Randa
    Randa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Thanks, I like the idea of having candles burning by the guest book.

• Dani
    Frequent user February 2018 British Columbia
    Dani ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I plan on doing two things to honour our grandparents who can't be there. I am going to get photos put into little locket type frames to attach to my bouquet and we wanted to have a little sign with a candle near our "guest book" basically saying that it burns for those who could not be there.

• Daphne
    Super July 2017 British Columbia
    Daphne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I’ve heard of people adding a locket to their bridal bouquet with the picture(s) of the loved ones. There with you, but discrete.
  • Randa
    Randa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I agree Sarah, I don't want to have a memorial or a Shrine on our wedding day so it is a fine line. Hopefully some others have some ideas that have worked in the past.,

• Samtam
    VIP November 2016 British Columbia
    Samtam ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

That's sweet. We mentioned our loved ones that had passed in our ceremony programs and our officiant mentioned it at the beginning of the ceremony, as well as putting out pictures at the reception.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics