Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Katelyn
Frequent user August 2018 Alberta

Something old, something new, something borrowed, something blue

Katelyn, on August 17, 2017 at 16:04 Posted in Before the wedding 0 23

Do brides still follow this rhyme? How are you meeting these requirements?

Something Blue

23 Comments

Latest activity by Laura, on August 30, 2017 at 11:47
  • Laura
    Super September 2017 Alberta
    Laura ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Something old and borrowed is my cake servers they are my aunts for her wedding and my mom also borrowed and used them at her wedding.

Something new is the dress

Something blue is my necklace

• Erin
    Expert September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My something old is my dads watch, my mom gave it to him to wear on their wedding day. He passed away when my mom was pregnant with me and so I am putting it around the stems on my bouquet so a part of him can walk me down the aisle.

My something new are my wedding shoes.

My something blue is my garter - we are not doing a garter toss but I thought it would still be fun to wear one.

I have not decided on my something borrowed yet, perhaps a bracelet from my mom or an aunt.

• Chelsea
    Master August 2017 Ontario
    Chelsea ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My something old was a brooch given to me on my wedding day by my dad and we put it on my flower bouquet! My something new was my wedding dress. My something borrowed was a hair piece from one of my bridesmaids. My something blue were these stickers that you put on the bottom of your shoes. On one shoe it says "I" and the other it says "do".

• Ashley
    Super June 2018 Alberta
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think if you want to follow it you can. I am. My something new is my dress. My something blue is my cowgirl boots that have blue accents on them. Plus my bridal buddy has blue lining for the arm holes, something borrowed is my moms veil from her wedding 5 years ago, and I have to find something old yet, but I think I'll find something.
  • Sasha
    Super October 2017 Ontario
    Sasha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Oh yeah that's true! Thanks!
  • Carol
    Super March 2018 Ontario
    Carol ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Lol hahaha you're funny lol
  • Sonja
    VIP September 2017 Ontario
    Sonja ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Ok. That makes sense. "True blue"and all that. I don't think I have to worry about the sixpence since I have no frustrated suitors. LOL.

• Carol
    Super March 2018 Ontario
    Carol ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I googled it and found out the blue means fidelity.
  • Carol
    Super March 2018 Ontario
    Carol ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Your garter can be blue.
  • Carol
    Super March 2018 Ontario
    Carol ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Was wondering about what each line represented, so I Googled.

Something old, something new, something borrowed, something blue - 1
  • Carol
    Super March 2018 Ontario
    Carol ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Omg, I'm crying right Now, that is so beautiful and touching. Also your groom is awesome!
  • Lynnie
    WeddingWire Admin October 2016 North Carolina
    Lynnie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I skipped this! It wasn't a tradition that was super important to me, and I was much more concerned about making sure evvverything was my something gold and sequined Smiley shame

You can check out more responses from the community about their Something old, new, borrowed, and blue here !

• Katelyn
    Frequent user August 2018 Alberta
    Katelyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Your pearl necklace is so special!
  • C
    Frequent user November 2017 Ontario
    Chris ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    New is my dress, earrings and necklace.
    blue is my evening shoes and garder The garder is borrowed / given to me by my neighbour to wear but they don't want it back so technically not borrowed . Maybe I need something else borrowed.
    Old is a pearl necklace willed to me by my first loves parents to wear on my wedding day. He died in a car accident, many years ago, his mother died 3 years ago and his father died last year. I was closer to his family then my own and they met the groom numerous times and he too was closer to them then my parents and his sister has a role in the wedding . It's a 3 strand pearl necklace representing the three of them who passed- the groom is okay with it . He says one less thing to buySmiley smile.
  • Lesley
    Super September 2017 Manitoba
    Lesley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Something old: my great aunts necklaceSomething new: my dressSomething borrowed: my mom's veilSomething blue: navy blue shoe clips!
    I'd also like a sixpence for my shoe but I'm not sure I'll find one before then
  • Marcie
    Newbie August 2018 Ontario
    Marcie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    There js more too it includes a sixpense
  • Sonja
    VIP September 2017 Ontario
    Sonja ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I don't think I'll be following this rhyme. I think the "something blue" was just thought up to rhyme with "new". What else rhymes with new?; cue, flew, glue, hue, loo, moo, mew, pew, true, view, you, and zoo. None of these make sense so "blue" it is. LOL.

• Carol
    Super March 2018 Ontario
    Carol ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My dress is new, my shoes are Blue, I have old with buttons from my mother's wessing dress, she passed many years ago. I will borrow something from my sister in law.
  • Daphne
    Super July 2017 British Columbia
    Daphne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Old & Borrowed was a pearl bracelet from my mother which had been made with my grandmother's pearl necklace.
    New was my dress.
    Blue were my shoes.
  • B
    Super August 2017 Alberta
    Bethany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My garter was blue. My veil was borrowed. My dress was old. My pearls were new.
  • Tiffany
    Devoted October 2017 Ontario
    Tiffany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I want to - Just need to figure out my something old and borrowed!

• Amanda
    Super August 2018 Alberta
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I am!
    Something new is pretty easy... almost anything can count. your dress, your shoes, etc.

My something blue is probably going to be a hairpiece I want to put in my hair.

My something old will be my FH's great-grandmothers hankerchief that is being given to me for marrying into the family.

My something borrowed is the only thing I don't have yet. But I'm thinking of asking my best friend if I can borrow a bracelet or something.

But it's all in good fun. I will never tell anyone they "HAVE" to do it. I just loved the idea of this little rhyme and the "good luck" it'll bring us. Lol

• Sasha
    Super October 2017 Ontario
    Sasha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I've been wondering this too. I would love to see what other people are doing. I don't really want to do it as blue doesn't fit in with my scheme lol

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics