Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Taylor
Devoted October 2021 Alberta

Society pressures.

Taylor, on August 25, 2019 at 21:36 Posted in Wedding fashion 0 25

I am struggling so hard finding a wedding dress. Our colors just black and its very laid back and not that traditional. I feel so obligated to wear white but I havnt found a single dress in white or ivory that I like but I like the black ones. But with it being my first marriage especially i feel like I have to wear white. Not to mention my entire wedding party plus my FH is wearing black (my FH will have a hint of white somewhere to stand out). I just dont know what to do because the entire guest list is older and most of them are very traditional people. I dont want to regret my choice. I could get away with black given our personality,it being in october,and our colors but i also feel it would be too much and how do I still stand out? do I make my MOH change dress colors?

25 Comments

Latest activity by Taylor, on August 29, 2019 at 00:44
  • Taylor
    Taylor ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I wish! too broke for that haha.

• Miav
    Devoted September 2020 Alberta
    Miav ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Perhaps a white dress for ceremony and a black one for reception? Smiley smile
  • Katelyn
    Super October 2019 Ontario
    Katelyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I was going to suggest black and white too. This is stunning. Please share with us if you choose this dress!
  • Rayanne
    Master June 2022 Ontario
    Rayanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That one is amazing. Very pretty.
  • Taylor
    Taylor ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Awesome thank you so much!

• Stephanie
    Frequent user July 2021 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I like 'colored' dresses myself.

I think that they add a little something 'different' and unique.

• Sheena
    Curious August 2019 Ontario
    Sheena ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Love the dress you've picked out! Also if you're looking for some more Gothic themed ideas Offbeat Bridal has quite a few Dark Romance articles and real weddings to check out. All the best in planning.

• Taylor
    Taylor ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thats awesome that she made it work! I found a black and white one that is perfect so it should make everyone happy Smiley smile

• Allyson
    Newbie June 2019 Manitoba
    Allyson ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My gf wore a black dress and so did her wedding party...it was BEAUTIFUL.

I totally get that alot of guests are older and more traditional though...maybe change into something more "traditional" (white/cream/champagne) for the reception?

Whatever you choose, its YOUR day and you have to be comfortable!❤❤
  • Taylor
    Taylor ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

We are just having one color and thats black. But i found a nice one on amazon

• Melanie
    Curious August 2019 Alberta
    Melanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Perhaps you could find a champagne or nude coloured dress. Those aren’t white. Or you could add black accents to your dress, like a layer of black tulle or black ribbons and lace. There are tons of options! Don’t be discouraged! Also if you love it, it doesn’t matter what anyone else thinks! You do you, girl!
  • Rayanne
    Master June 2022 Ontario
    Rayanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    What other colors are you having? I've seen some amazing black dresses with purple underneath. I'm sure you could do the same with any colour underneath. The black and white dresses the other girls have posted look amazing too. Do what makes your day special to you.
  • Ashley
    VIP August 2020 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Dont wear white if you dont want too!! its YOUR wedding wear what YOU want! i have friends who have worn pink dresses and my coworker just wore a white and blue dress!! youre not going to happy wearing something that is making everyone else happy but yourself. i say if you want black wear it!! no one is going to remember what you wore except you and your FH

• Taylor
    Taylor ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I had asked my FH if he saw me in black or white and he picked black (specifically something with a gothic feel) because it fit my personality more. It made me relax a bit more because his opinion mattered the most to me and I already wanted something more different so I went looking again and found something I feel ok spending a bunch of money on

• Taylor
    Taylor ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

It so is. Being plus size I found it so hard to get excited about a dress. When I did there was always some reason I wasnt able to get it. But this one is under $200 and comes in a size ill be able to wear because it also has a corset back.

• Becky
    Newbie September 2019 Manitoba
    Becky ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    It's so pretty and definitely looks bridal!

It has just enough white to both make it look wedding ish and also make you stand out
  • M
    Expert September 2019 Ontario
    Meaghan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That's beautiful, I love it.

It's such a great feeling when you find the perfect dress.

• Taylor
    Taylor ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

High five to you Meaghan! I actually found one im obsessed with on amazon that is basically the same dress just different silhouette. Hopefully I still love it when I try it on!

Its perfect. Everything I ever wanted.Society pressures. 1

• Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I like Meaghan's suggestion and maybe have a dress that's both black and white! However if it's not you, I think you should wear a black dress! If your MOH has already bought her dress, I'd find ways to accessorize your dress. If not, have her in another colour (i.e. gold).

• M
    Expert September 2019 Ontario
    Meaghan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

You could do something that had some traditional bridal vibe along with the black that you like.

Maybe something like this. You would definitely stand out from your MOH.

black and white wedding dressSociety pressures. 2

• W
    Curious July 2020 Alberta
    Whovian ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    If you like black then go for it! This wedding is for you and your FH not everyone else.

you can make yourself stand out with accessories! Jewelled belt,veil,tiara (if that is your thing!)
  • Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Wear what makes you feel like a BRIDE!!! If that means wearing black, or blue, or red, or whatever colour other than white - then do that! As long as your MOH hasn't paid out of pocket for her dress as of yet and maybe she just had a black dress that she was planning on wearing then it shouldn't be a problem for her to get a new dress. However if she did already go shopping specifically for a black dress for your wedding I would say the nice thing would be to cover the cost of her new dress.

• K
    Frequent user September 2022 Ontario
    Katrine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Get whichever dress and colour you want. I know it’s hard to not think about others but this is your wedding and at the end of the day, you can only make yourself happy and you’ll never regret it if you’re happy with the dress.
  • Lisa
    Expert August 2019 Alberta
    Lisa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'd say try on whatever colour you feel beautiful in! If you want it to still feel bridal, just add a veil or birdcage/hair piece in whatever color your dress is. People that will judge will find anything to judge, so go with what makes you feel like a stunning bride!

• S
    Frequent user October 2019 Ontario
    Sarah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I say go for it. If you like black and that makes you happy. Do it!
    If you can add an accent colour to it like gold or silver to make it stand out a bit maybe that would help make you more of a focal point.

I have listened to everyone else’s opinion and I don’t feel as happy as I should. My advice. Do what would make you happy!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics