Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Pam
Beginner June 2018 Manitoba

So overwhelmed and no idea where to begin 😢

Pam, on June 1, 2017 at 22:23 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 21
So here's my problem. Getting married June /2018We live in a small town , originally from Winnipeg ,Mb but moved for better finances. We would like to have our wedding in Winnipeg, most fam and friends live there but I find it very hard to plan anything being so far away. Not sure where to begin , dress , venue , reception . But would like to keep it cheap as well, I'm just soooo over whelmed. And fiancé baseclly isn't as into planning as much as me 😓I know this post is choppy, but as I said I'm overwhelmed and very confused with everything 😕any inputs would be appreciated .........

21 Comments

Latest activity by Kryzia, on June 16, 2017 at 01:20
  • Kryzia
    Curious July 2018 Ontario
    Kryzia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I felt the same way at first. I didn't want to burden anyone. But they've been so willing to help and really excited. I'm sure your close family and friends will feel the same. Good luck! Hope it all works out.
  • Pam
    Pam ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I would hate to put the pressure on them but I know they would be willing to help. 😢we will be heading to Winnipeg in July, and checking out a venue hoping isn't to extremely $$$, guess we will c 😊
  • Kryzia
    Curious July 2018 Ontario
    Kryzia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm in exactly the same boat! My fiance and I are originally from Ontario, but we're living in Alberta because work brought us out here. We want to have our wedding in Ontario where all of our friends and family are. I've been heavily relying on my mom, my future mother-in-law, and my friends who will be in the bridal party to check out venues and give me their feedback. Find people you trust and who you feel know you well enough and rely on them for help. It's hard to do all of this planning alone!

Good luck!

• Rekramer
    Expert November 2018 Ontario
    Rekramer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I feel you. Perhaps your family and friends would be willing to help? You can plan a couple trips back just to meet with vendors and sort out the details and let your family take care of the rest if you trust them.

• Zoë
    Master June 2020 Ontario
    Zoë ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hi Pam, So nice to meet you here. Congratulations!! I saw you are getting married in June, so lovely to have a summer wedding. Did you take a look at the vendors in our directory? We also have some promotions on the website. What is still on the list? Here I made a small test, to get to know everyone: My 5 first... I think you will like it. Smiley heart

• Simone
    Master August 2017 Manitoba
    Simone ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Hi Pam, I read that you are checking out the Gates on Roblin. I have heard good things about that place. Definitely would check this venue out.
  • Pam
    Pam ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Thank you, I really appreciate everyone's input, ❤️
  • Laura
    Super September 2017 Alberta
    Laura ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

As people have already said; make a list of everything you want/need to do, decide where you want to spend the bulk of your money and start researching and then send out inquiries. You will need a venue before you know whether you need a caterer or chairs and tables and that sort of thing. A lot of vendors have offered to Skype with us and we are only an hour to an hour and a half away. You can do it! Smiley heart

• Pam
    Pam ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are 5 hours from Winnipeg. . Most our friends are in Winnipeg , 80% family live 2 hours away from there. I have my mom and my closest best friend ( maid of honour) here in swan river. I figured less people to travel the distance for the wedding 😀
  • Pam
    Pam ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are thinking June next year. And he agreed on wedding colours but that's it lol but I'm hoping when we get to Winnipeg in July we can really get things moving lol
  • Pam
    Pam ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Even in the small town I am from they are booking 1-2 years. So I'm sorta panicked 😔 I don't think we want anything too expensive either . Possibly $10k , 60-70 guests, and having 6 total in the party
  • Pam
    Pam ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I found a place in Winnipeg, called gates on roblin. Beautiful out door ceremony type garden but the reception area from the photos they sent based on my guest list looks s bit small . Will check it out when we get that way in July . 👍
  • Pam
    Pam ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Yes I think the venue is our biggest priority , since we are 5 hours away. We are hoping for next June/2018
  • B
    Super August 2017 Alberta
    Bethany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    The dress, the venue, and the officiant. once you get those three things for wedding planning, you're golden. The rest are just details and not as time sensitive.
    I would suggest making a trip to book the venue. We live in Alberta and we were going to get married in BC until I actually went there and decided I didn't like the venue at all and it's not how I pictured it from the photos. The venue we ended up picking was a hotel and we're doing everything right there, ceremony and reception. Having it all in one like that was easier.
  • Janie
    Beginner June 2018 Quebec
    Janie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Congrats!! I had the same struggle because I am getting married in June and my fiancé has the same problem as yoursSmiley winking First, we decided a date. If you don't have a date, you can't really choose the venues. Then, I just looked at nice places around, outdoor with an indoor option, compared the prices of each places and selected one. After that, look for the foods options and if you can rent tables and all that or if it is includedSmiley smile Take it one step at the time, I know you can do it 😘
  • Simone
    Master August 2017 Manitoba
    Simone ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Hi Pam,Congratulations on your engagement. I'm sorry to hear that you are feeling overwhelmed. The best thing to do is take time off from planning from time to time. I agree with Lesley, start by booking your venue and the date of your wedding. Last May, I was calling venues and found out that the majority of the days were booked ahead of time sometime 2 years in advance. I'm not trying to scare you but it's more of a heads up. Then afterwards, meet up big vendors such as DJ, photographers, etc. All the best.
  • Lesley
    Super September 2017 Manitoba
    Lesley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Congratulations Pam! I would just start with the venue and the date. Start with the places you know and ask for quotes. Then start googling. You'll get some idea of what the costs are and you can narrow down a few choices so that when you come to the city, you can visit them all in one day.
    How far are you from Winnipeg? If you're only a couple of hours away,I think people will drive out for it but you know your crowd better than me 😊
  • Katherine
    Super September 2017 New Brunswick
    Katherine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We decided to go for three weeks... Two before the wedding and one after... I'm from NB and he is from NS so most of our family is there... I've only been in AB for 11 years (wow that flew by) and he has been here 17.
  • Pam
    Pam ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I lived in Edmonton , red deer and ft McMurray as a child , did u grow up in Alberta?
  • Pam
    Pam ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I totally agree with buying online is so simple. We do travel to Winnipeg quite often and will be going middle July but only for 3 days . That's all we ever go for and maybe once every 4 months. I think we may need to go for at least a week lol I work 2 jobs and hubby 1, our shifts are usually crossed so planning more then 2 days is usually complicated 😔But thank u for a few ideas, I will get family to check into caterers, etc 👍😀
  • Katherine
    Super September 2017 New Brunswick
    Katherine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We live in AB and are getting married in NB... We picked our venue when we were there on vacation as well as booking an officiant... I got my mom who lives there to look onto caterers and if I buy stuff online I ship it to her.... I bought my dress in Edmonton and will be taking it as carry-on when we fly back for the wedding same with his suit... FH is not into planning... I show him some options (that I like) and he picks from them... I don't think its much harder to plan from a distance since everything is online now.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics