Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Emily
Frequent user August 2019 New Brunswick

Small guest list

Emily, on March 1, 2019 at 21:37 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 8
We didnt invite all of our family and i do.t feel the lest bit bad about it.

We both have family members that we haveny talked to in years and they weree not invited an honestly nither of us feel bad about it

8 Comments

Latest activity by Catherine, on March 8, 2019 at 12:43
  • Catherine
    Frequent user July 2020 Quebec
    Catherine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We're having a 50 person wedding, and I feel RELIEVED that I am not inviting our entire fam. Just the closest members. I think I'd feel stresses if it was a big wedding. I almost wish it was even smaller haha.
  • A
    Beginner May 2019 British Columbia
    Abbey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Don't feel bad about it. We really struggled with this, as we wanted to have a very small wedding however inviting any extended family meant we felt the need to invite them all which would make for a huge wedding for us. We ended up deciding on immediate family - grandparents, siblings, parents and our nieces and nephews. We are also inviting a couple of our best friends who we consider family. I am sure there will be people unhappy about this, but we really didnt want a huge wedding. It was a struggle when we were first deciding who to invite and who we felt obligated to invite, but now that invitations are our we feel really good about it. Instead we are inviting everyone - friends, extended fam etc to a bbq at our house this summer to celebrate with us.

• Allen
    Devoted April 2019 Ontario
    Allen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I'm only inviting 63. That's enough for us lol
  • Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Good for you! I think a lot of people feel compelled to invite everyone they know out of fear of backlash. It's refreshing to see someone sticking to a small guest list Smiley smile

• Robyn
    Super June 2019 Ontario
    Robyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

You shouldn't feel bad about that at all! Good for you - it takes a lot of strength to follow your gut when it comes to guests lists. I'm not inviting my step-father, even though he's married to my mom right now. We have spoken in five years, I see no reason why getting married should change anything about our relationship.

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Don't feel bad if you don't invite them. Huge families have that issue that you can't control of whom gets upset about not getting an invite. I'm sure the same has happened with some family members.

When I got married, I have a huge family including international. I only had invited immediate family as to my moms side and one from my dads side (who declined due to their way of thinking) and in laws, small family from his side. International wasn't sent out due to the cost and count which wasn't feasible to account for.

You can do a second reception just for the family when you want to have them there. Have the wedding shown so they can see ahead of time how it went.

• Leah
    VIP April 2019 British Columbia
    Leah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Coming from a huge family, we didn’t invite everyone either.

And when asked, I’ll contently explain that we wanted a smaller, curated guestlist, and that didn’t allow for an open access situation.🤷🏾‍♀️
  • Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    And you shouldn't. - like I say, it's your wedding and not a family reunion.

Although I'm having a 250 person wedding, I still have people who aren't on the list who wish they were. I just don't have the space and honestly... I haven't seen most of those people since I was like 5 years old so 16 years later, I'm sorry - I don't know you!!

And if by chance you change your mind (unlikely as it sounds), you could always have an "after-party" reception down the road or a anniversary party Smiley smile

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics