Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Mirand
Newbie January 2024 Ontario

Sleeves! What is easier to move in?

Mirand, on September 26, 2022 at 22:11 Posted in Wedding fashion 0 8
Sleeves! What is easier to move in? 1
Sleeves! What is easier to move in? 2
Hi everyone! I could use some help. I am a very plus size bride so wedding dress shopping has not been super fun so far. I am fairly certain I’m going to order a dress custom to my size online. The above picture (satin ballgown) is my dream dress but I was told someone who works at a bridal salon that satin sleeves are pretty restrictive and hard to move in. I was wondering if anyone new if tulle sleeves are any better? With the dress being so big I think the sleeves would probably need to be slimmer / not too puffy. I was thinking of asking the designer is she could make the sleeves out of the embellished tulle in the second picture (just sleeves though, not covering the whole bodice). So in addition to getting your thoughts on if that will be easier to move in I also wanted to ask how you think that fabric will look with the satin dress? Thanks so much!!

8 Comments

Latest activity by Carine, on October 4, 2022 at 13:34
  • C
    VIP September 2023 Ontario
    Carine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Plus size girl here, depending on where you are, you might need to go to a bigger city for dresses. I'm in Ottawa and they either had too big or to small and we had to custom 1 size bigger for room to take in. Sleeve with dresses are a pain in the butt, you would have to get them a little loose unless they can find a material that has stretch. I wanted sleeves but both options they were hard to move in and felt restricted. They have temp sleeves where it's like a jacket in the same material as the dress, it's more for photos and for the ceremony and it blends with the dress, you take it off for when you are ready to party.

• KELLY
    Super October 2023 Ontario
    KELLY ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I am in the same position, the Davids Bridal location I went to has a huge variety of sizes to try on and a great sale too! I am choosing to not have a full length sleeve for that reason, the dress you pictured looks like its made of satin which doesn't breathe very well and from my recent visits trying on dresses I have come to the conclusion that you can get hot very easily.

• Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

If you're willing to trek into Toronto, there are a bunch of places that cater to plus size brides. Even if you don't end up purchasing here, at the very least you can try on dresses that are meant for your body type and see what you like on you before making an online purchase.

• Brittany
    Featured August 2023 Alberta
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Personally, I would call around and see what other stores have to offer in your area. Wedding dresses are not a cheap purchase and if sleeves are really what you want, I would make sure they are the correct ones. So trying on before purchasing.

One suggestion though is maybe try David's Bridal, they have every dress in 3 different sizes for brides of all shapes and sizes to try on and you can get an idea of what type of sleeve you like there (does not mean you have to buy from them). When I went wedding dress shopping I also had the same issue. My arms did not fit in some long sleeves so I would be looking at them off the shoulder which is not what I wanted. I love sleeves on wedding dresses but it turned me off from wanting to because I could never see what they actually looked like on me.

• Mirand
    Mirand ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yes exactly. I have tried a few dress on, there are a few in my area that are not my size but that are big enough that I can try them but no sleeves. I know what type of skirt and fabric I like because of this but they were all sleeveless so now I’m trying to figure out what sleeves would be comfy and look good.
  • Brittany
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Oh ok! So you are worried to order something without actually trying it.

• Mirand
    Mirand ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That’s the tricky part, because of my size there are no dresses with sleeves that I can try on, there are very few dresses at all I can actually get on my body.
  • Brittany
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I did not try on any dress with satin sleeves, but I have done the other materials and I have not had any issues with moving my arm. And honestly, before listing to the advice of a bridal stylist, I would try it on myself to see how I feel in it. The dress could of felt restrictive to them but for you it can feel the complete opposite! I say go out and try it on Smiley smile

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics