Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Erin
Frequent user June 2024 Ontario

Skincare problems

Erin, on February 16, 2021 at 11:29 Posted in Beauty 1 14
Hello everyone just a quick call for help on this subject. I have crazy combo skin. Usually my entire face is oily with my T zone being dryer than the Sahara desert, however lately I've been having a weird thing happen where my entire face is oily including my T zone and yet it still flakes as though it's dry. I have used every product under the sun and even went to a dermatologist with no help at all. Any ideas what to do?

14 Comments

Latest activity by Jordyn, on June 1, 2023 at 01:53
  • Jordyn
    Curious July 2023 Manitoba
    Jordyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Hehe (I’m not a professional or dermatologist) but I think if you’re trying multiple products, your skin might be reacting to the multiple different things.
    With oily skin I think it’s hard, but I don’t think you want to wash your face much more than twice per day just to prevent stressing your skin and potentially making it secrete more oil ? I wonder if maybe your skin is secreting more oil from the sebaceous glands (oil glands) to compensate for other products wiping too much of the skins natural oil or normal skin flora away ?
    I think routine and consistency helps a lot too (this is where I’m terrible)😂It’s hard to tell girl, I hope this might be helpful 💕
  • Yami
    Frequent user October 2022 Ontario
    Yami ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I used to have really bad acne and one thing I did for my skin was to make sure my shower head had a filter! Filter out hard water. It can make a difference with your skin and hair. Also, use a satin or silk pillowcase so your skincare wont rub off on your pillowcase.
  • Armen
    California
    Armen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Girl, I've been in the same boat for years! I have struggled with dry skin, sebum, and acne since puberty.
    I use a mild cleanser, cerave, or avene brand. They have a skincare line for oily and dry skin at the same time. Now I started a toner and exfoliant from the same brands. This thing is fantastic!
    And last but not least - SPF. I came to SPF only after lip boost to go through all the lip filler swelling stages without consequences. You also need to pick one that doesn't grease the skin. My dermatologist recommended Bepanthol and Skintensive Bruise, and Scar Cream.
    I have to say that I will be using all of the products listed above always! If my skin doesn't change type over time (I've heard that happens)

Edited by WeddingWire
  • Bailey
    Curious October 2021 Alberta
    Bailey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Skincare problems 1Girl I was in your same boat for years !! Started the toner and exfoliant (those brands) januaty 1st ! And it’s a god sent !! My dermatologist recommended both and I have to say I’ll most definitely be using this forever !

• Alexis
    Devoted July 2021 Ontario
    Alexis ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Skincare problems 2
    Skincare problems 3

Skincare problems 4
    This is my current routine. I don’t know if they’d work on your skin but I am liking these products. I use the avene or the other face wash depending on how my acne is. I’ve struggled with dry skin, oil and acne since puberty lol

The earth harbour creams are my daytime creams and the mudmasky is the one I wear to bed
    I use the pmd clean in the evenings. It buffs off any dead skin gently but it would be too much twice a day

• Alexis
    Devoted July 2021 Ontario
    Alexis ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Be super careful if your struggling with your skin not to use alcohol on it.

Use a gentle cleanser, cerave is good like someone above mentioned, or avene (not aveeno) they have a skincare line for skin that is oily and dry at the same time.
    Make sure you are using a moisturizing toner right after cleansing. But also, it should be alcohol free so that your not doing more damage to your skin.
    Apply serum that’s moisturizing and and a moisturizer after. Make sure they are something light. I think it’s neutrogena that has a line thats suppose to be really good for moisturizing oily dry skin.
    I can take a picture of my products so you can see what I’m using. I’m about to do my face routine so I’ll go do that actually

• Christiana
    Super November 2020 British Columbia
    Christiana ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

No worries! I hope it helps Smiley smile

• Erin
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you so much!!
  • Christiana
    Christiana ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I would try switching out the cleanser for something more gentle since anti-acne products typically strip oil. I think cerave has some good ones if you already like their products. If you're looking for a good drugstore hydrating serum I'd recommend hydraluron by Indeed labs which you can get at most shoppers. It's pretty affordable and works well on most skin types in my experience Smiley smile

• Erin
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you for the great advice!!! I'm currently using the Neutrogena anti acne face cleanser, cerave moisturizer and olay anti wrinkle collagen serum as my daily products
  • Christiana
    Christiana ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

If you're unhappy with the advice from your dermatologist I think you're better off getting a referral to a new one. Nobody can really give you advice for your skin without actually seeing your skin and knowing what you're currently using on it.

I am not a dermatologist but I worked in skincare/makeup for years, and if I had to guess it sounds like your skin is probably combo/oily and very dehydrated. It's actually really common with oily skin types because people try to remove the oil and they end up just stripping away all the moisture and damaging their skin's barrier. If this is what's happening, you should use gentle cleansers and cut back on exfoliation for a while. You'll probably also want to use a hydrating serum and/or an oil to replenish some of the moisture you're lacking.

• Erin
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Hank,
    I have indeed and the products reccomended do not help. I keep getting the same answer from him when I told him this which was "Keep trying them it's bound to even out sooner or later" not very helpful advice from the dermatologist.
  • Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Us being home more often this winter with the heaters running is making a lot of people's skin all whacked up. Have you talked to your dermatologist?

• Erin
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yeah my skin is really weird I have genetically combination oily/dry skin which makes it really hard to find products that work.
  • Amelia
    Master October 2020 New Brunswick
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Removing natural oils can actually drive your skin to produce more oils, which might explain why your whole face is unusually oily.

You might need to target certain areas on your face with different products instead of using something on your whole face, since it sounds like some zones have different issues than others.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics