Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

L
Beginner September 2019 Manitoba

Single Invites

Lynn, on January 23, 2019 at 09:00 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 12

Help!! I'm trying to keep my wedding costs down with a small wedding. Is it rude when you invite a single person, that you do not include a guest for them? What's the best way to handle this?

12 Comments

Latest activity by Vinod, on February 7, 2019 at 20:57
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Singles were invited based on whom we knew only and 2 got plus guest. Names on the envelope and number of guest on the RSVP portion.

• Kaisha
    Super March 2019 Nova Scotia
    Kaisha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We did this, if someone was not in a serious relationship we did not include a plus one. We just put only the persons name on the invite.

• L
    Lynn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Thanks to all you ladies for the input. I feel better about my decision now. The good thing is, the single guests of mine know my family and other friends. So they will not be alone. Happy Wedding!!!

• L
    Lynn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thanks for the input. I feel better about my decision now. The good thing is, the single guests of mine know my family and other friends. So they will not be alone. Happy Wedding!!!

• Alexandra
    VIP November 2019 British Columbia
    Alexandra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    There were two people who weren’t in serious relationships we were going to give plus 1s too. One I know for a fact doesn’t know anyone but myself and has met my fiancé a few times. But she doesn’t have anyone to bring and honestly is fine sitting with my friends because i think they’ll get along well. The other guy is one of my fiancé’s more casual friends and all the people he knows are going to be sitting at the groomsmen table and we didn’t really want him to be sitting alone.

Everyone else the rule of thumb is that it has to be a serious relationship, of roughly six months when the invites go out. Currently everyone who has a plus one has been with their partners for longer than that. There’s one person I’m unsure about and that’s because he’s just started dating a girl he’s known for a while. There’s a chance they could be serious and stay together and by the time invitations go out I may need to add her to the list.
  • Peggy
    Super May 2019 Alberta
    Peggy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Not rude at all - but if you se the rule, you have to stick to it. What I mean is - you can't say to one person "No date for you." and then say to another "Sure, bring your date."

For us, we set a rule someone had to meet to have their date/SO-They had to have been dating for more than a year.

• Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

It definitely depends!

Like Becky and Katrin have said, if they know no one else other than you, than it would be nice to give them a plus one so they can mingle with some one they know! I have a couple of friends that would know no one except me so I'm giving them a guest.

However like Tori mentioned, if they are family and would know other aunts/uncles/cousins, I'm probably not going to give them a plus one, unless they've been in the relationship for a year/living together/engaged etc. A couple of my cousins have been casually seeing people but no serious relationships in either case so they're only getting a single invite - they can mingle with other cousins and their aunts/uncles.

In your example, I'm guessing the person in single/may be casually seeing someone. If they know any other guests that would be there, I would be less willing to give them a guest. However, if they only know you, I would give them a guest.

• Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    It’s not rude. You just have to ensure that the wording is correct and put them at a fun singles table with other people they can mingle with.

I think you have to have discretion when deciding who gets a plus one and who doesn’t. For example, if it’s whether or not you’ve met their SO or the length of time they’ve been together, there’s other factors that come into play (are they living together, engaged, etc.).

I think back to some of the weddings I’ve been to with FH of his friends who I had not met prior because circumstances didn’t allow it. Had they said I wasn’t invited because we hadn’t met I would have definitely been unimpressed lol (FH and I have been together for 6 years at the time of this one wedding).

Anyway! Discretion and good luck!
  • Casey
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I agree with the other ladies, it does depend.

For us, I have a few cousins who are younger (19-25) range who are single or have been "seeing someone" they will get a single invite unless I have met their SO before hand. My one cousin has been with a guy for years, but he has not come to any family functions, nor have I met him. So I would rather just give her a single invite than have someone I have never met to our wedding.

As long as they know someone or its family, I don't see it being a problem

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Both Katrin and Becky have got it right, you want to make it so that those singles will still be wanting to come to the wedding because they are aware your focus won't be on spending time with them and they don't want to sit in the corner by themselves.

At the same time, if you are talking about family or people that know others that will be invited to the wedding... My rule of thumb is that they have to have been with their S/O for a year by the date of the wedding and the only way getting out of this if they haven't been together for that amount of time is if either I have met said S/O and approve of them being there - or if come the week or two before the wedding there is space and I can start letting people bring others.

As of right now I am under a year to the wedding so there are a few people that won't be bringing their S/O's if they acquire one. With others, I may let it slide if there ends up being room...

Oh! And Congratulations on the engagement and welcome to the WW community!!

• Becky
    VIP September 2019 Ontario
    Becky ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I understand where you are coming from with this as well! If you are a close group of people and this single person would know someone else there and they are seated at a table with people they know. Then it would be fine. If I went to a wedding and new people there then it wouldn't be an issue for me as we could drive together and all that as well.

• Katrin
    Frequent user September 2019 Ontario
    Katrin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think it depends. Honestly, if it's a small wedding I'd want to know SOMEONE there. If I was invited to a wedding and I knew nobody except the bride, it may be kind of boring and I might want to go home. I'd only invite the one person if they know other folks there and if they are aware that the wedding is for just close friends and family. We are having a wedding with 60 folks and 30 are guests, but we found it a good size.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics