Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Caitlin
Newbie August 2020 Ontario

Signing table

Caitlin, on July 25, 2019 at 12:27 Posted in Wedding ceremony 0 13

What do people typically use as their signing table for the ceremony? I haven't been able to find any information online, so I'm guessing it's not usually an issue or something that is selected specifically.

We are having our ceremony outdoors (weather permitting) at the same venue as our reception. We have been told we will need to rent garden chairs for this, and we have already reserved these.

But this got me thinking about another issue. What about a table for signing the marriage license? Is this something that people typically pick out as part of the decor or is it generally just any table provided by the venue?

I am going to ask my contact person at the venue if they have something that is typically used, and if not I will ask the company I am renting the chairs from.

The other option I have is to just borrow a small card table from my parents and cover it with a table cloth to make it look nicer.

13 Comments

Latest activity by Sarah, on July 30, 2019 at 15:32
  • Sarah
    Expert July 2021 Ontario
    Sarah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    It should be provided by the venue but if they told you that you have to rent your own chairs then you will probably need to provide your own. Can be a simple one with a table cloth thrown over it and you can do one or two chairs. Our venue is providing one but I’m going to add a bouquet and maybe a “love” sign to spruce it up
  • K
    Frequent user September 2022 Ontario
    Katrine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    The table is usually provided by the venue. I would contact them to make sure.
  • Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We were going to use a cocktail table (tall, round) so we would both stand-it was one that was at the venue. But our ceremony got rained out so we just used the buffet table.
    I think most weddings I’ve been to it’s just been a table from the venue, usually with a tablecloth and the bouquet is the only decor on it.
  • Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We aren't signing in front of everybody - we can do that after the ceremony - but my FH's cousin just had a small round table with a vase with a few flowers and a pen with a peacock feather. Oh, and a chair for people to sit down in when signing (bride, groom, bestman, maid of honour).

• DrB
    Frequent user August 2018 Ontario
    DrB ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Our venue used a vintage singer sewing machine table. For outdoor ceremonies, I’ve seen everything from a wrought iron bistro set to a wooden harvest table to a (presumably card?) table with nice linens. I would ask your venue- moving your own table in is a pain in the ass
  • Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We have a table on the church alter already there.

For weddings outside of a church, our cousin brought in their own antique desk. It was cute!

• Miav
    Devoted September 2020 Alberta
    Miav ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

It can be something simple like this:
    signing tableSigning table 1

• Casey
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think it would believe on the venue and if they provide that or not. They should be able to let you know if you need to bring one in.

Our venue has a table on top of wine barrels, so it is standing height. Like Valerie said, if you get a table get chairs to have that sit down picture, I find that when people don't have chairs the signing picture looks really weird bent over!

• Valérie
    VIP September 2019 Quebec
    Valérie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I guess it depends on the venue, but it doesn't have to be super fancy.

Our venue has a vintage white desk ready for us to use for that purpose. We're just going to use one of the centrepieces or headtable spread for decorations, because I can't be bothered to buy or make anything else at this point hahaha.

I've also been to weddings where the venue used a high cocktail table too.

One tip though : If you do pick a regular table, do not bend over, sit down to sign. This way, you'll avoid any pictures straight down your cleavage - Our officiant insists on having a chair to avoid that sort of picture.

• Veronica
    Super October 2021 Alberta
    Veronica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are also having an outdoor ceremony (weather pending) at the same venue as our reception and they provide a signing table for us.

• Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Definitely ask your venue if they provide this - but if they told you to rent chairs, there's a good chance you'll need to rent a table as well.

• Becky
    VIP September 2019 Ontario
    Becky ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Its all on what you want- I went to a wedding where outdoors they had a wooden table and chairs or a steal table and chairs. It was whatever went with their decore.

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

A signing table for the marriage license was provided by our venue as part of the set up and the Officiant had his book set ready for the time for us to do the signing and witnesses.
    Do inquire with your venue to see if they provide as part of the set up or getting a fold up table that enough for the height to sign and in a corner would be sufficient for you both.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics