Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

J
Beginner September 2023 Quebec

Should i explain the bar situation?

Julie, on May 6, 2023 at 14:49 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 8
For our reception, we aren't having an entirely open bar. Guests will get 1 welcome cocktail, a half bottle of wine per person with dinner, and then we've budgeted for 4 drinks per person after. We aren't using drink tickets or anything, basically we pay the venue based on consumption, but after we reach the allotted number, guests will need to pay. We have very few heavy drinkers, with a significant number of guests who don't drink at all or hardly drink. So taking this balance into consideration, I think it's unlikely that we'll reach our limit. My question is, should I try to explain this situation on the wedding website FAQs, so that on the chance people do end up having to pay, they'll have cash? My fiancé thinks that since it's a bit complicated to explain we should just leave it be and assume that things will balance out how we're anticipating but my anxiety is making me question this. Thanks in advance!

8 Comments

Latest activity by Kate, on May 24, 2023 at 22:35
  • Kate
    Featured August 2022 Ontario
    Kate ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I think that is beautifully worded and as a guest I would appreciate knowing. Very considerate of y'all to think of this.
  • Arden
    Curious July 2023 British Columbia
    Arden ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We were in this situation too. We're supplying all the wine on the tables for dinner, but after that the bar will be a toonie/cash bar. Nowadays, no one has cash on them and our venue doesn't have a bank machine close by. I wanted to add something on the wedding invitation insert, but a lot I read online made it seem that it was 'tacky' to do so. But I took the time to word it nicely and said something like "Wine will be provided for dinner, and we have a fully stocked cash bar for your enjoyment. We look forward to celebrating with you!" I figured it was better for people to have the heads up and have cash on them rather than show up and not have anything. We live in a different world now (cashless) and weddings need to evolve with that!

• Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

OK, that's fair. I think I just assumed based on how your description of your guests. Most big drinkers tend to go for something else other than wine and light/non-drinkers might have a sip here and there but probably wouldn't mind if their half bottle got swapped for a rum and coke or something.

• J
    Julie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I don't think I said that we're not big on wine, my fiancé and I like it, we're just not knowledgeable about it! 😅 And actually I have quite a few guests who would prefer wine to beer or hard liquor, maybe they'll only have a glass or two, but they do drink it.
  • Hank
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I would ask if you can switch the allocated wine to either a beer or have an alcoholic punch bowl that's available to everyone. They may say no but it doesn't hurt to ask. You'll get more bang for your buck that way, especially if you and your guests aren't big on wine.

We also did a consumption bar but we only put out wine bottles at tables we know for sure will actually drink it and even then, we had a lot leftover.

• J
    Julie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks for the input! That's what I was thinking, it might be uneccessarily confusing to people. I really doubt we'll reach our budget at all.

As for the wine, it's part of the all-inclusive package of venue/food/bar. We actually told the coordinator that we doubt we'll need that much, and she said it's based on consumption, so 1/2 bottle is just the number they're basing for the ordering, and if we don't use that much, we only pay what we use. We know nothing about wine though lol
  • Hank
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

If you truly think things will balance out and the total number of drink orders won't surpass what you budgeted for, don't bother explaining. You'll just confuse people.

If you think it'll go over by a small amount (20 or so drinks), I would just suck it up and pay for it.

Only say something if you absolutely think it'll get out of hand, which I highly doubt it will since you're allocating 7+ drinks per person to a group where a good chunk are not big drinkers. But you really should implement the drink ticket system if that's the case.

By the way, a typical bottle of wine is five servings so giving each guest half a bottle would muck up your calculation. Unless you're at a nice winery, I would honestly just put that wine budget to extra drinks since most venue house wines are terrible and the vast majority of people would much prefer another drink of choice if given the option.

• Kate
    Featured August 2022 Ontario
    Kate ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Hmmm, curious to see how some people who have done similar have gone about it. We had open bar so I can't comment BUT, I feel like I'd appreciate knowing this ahead. It may not be a thing for anyone with your guests being light drinkers but feel like communication is always appreciated ya know?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics