Skip to main content
Kirsten
Frequent user April 2020 Alberta

Should i cancel?

Kirsten, on March 19, 2020 at 10:17 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 19
Saved
Reply

Sorry about another covid-19 post! I just want some opinions. My wedding is supposed to be April 25,2020. Alberta is under a health emergency and has ordered all events over 50 people canceled. The guest list is at 59, not including their staff and my vendors. Many of our guests are from all over the country, it is also in jasper so considered a "destination". We also have a lot of guests that are being laid off because of the new restrictions in alberta. This isn't something I think is fair to "wait and see" since this order is "indefinite". We would still be planning on getting married and having a less formal ceremony with family and close friends that still want to come and no reception, later we would have a gathering. I'm torn because I put so much work into this but at the same time I need to make a decision, it isn't fair to my guests to wait and see what happens.

19 Comments

Latest activity by Angela, on March 21, 2020 at 21:12
  • A
    Newbie June 2022 Ontario
    Angela ·
    • Dispute
    We officially made the decision to postpone our April 25th wedding to November! It was so heartbreaking to do but after talking to our guests and notifying them, they all agree we made the right choice! Hoping everyone is keeping sane and staying positive during these tough times!
    • Reply
  • Ashley
    VIP August 2020 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute

    I personally would wait till march 31 and then decide and i would also just postpone it till later this year (provided all your vendors are available)

    • Reply
  • Amanda
    Devoted September 2022 Alberta
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute

    I am sorry to hear that you had to make that decision. We completely pushed ours back to next year in Oct. our son is immune compromised since birth, and we just can’t risk it and the stress of not knowing from one day to the next is not good for me. The upside (if I can say that in all of this?!) is that you will still be having your ceremony and marrying the person you love. Your reception that you will have at a later date could always be a vow renewal/reception. You could reaffirm your vows that you will be saint in April, and those who were unable to attend now can witness it then. Another plus...you get to wear your dress twice!

    • Reply
  • Kirsten
    Frequent user April 2020 Alberta
    Kirsten ·
    • Dispute
    So we made the decisions to cancel as all our contracts state deposits can be returned with 31+ days notice. The vendors have allowed for all returns of deposits and we have decided we are still getting married but in a less formal way and whoever comes comes and the reception is canceled.
    • Reply
  • Megan
    Frequent user April 2021 Ontario
    Megan ·
    • Dispute

    Wait until the end of March and then make the call. I would probably cancel or postpone, especially if you had some high risk family members.

    To be honest, I'm upset but relieved at the same time that we postponed ours (April 4) because I can finally stop worrying about it. I was checking the news all the time and just stressing myself even more.

    • Reply
  • Elena
    Curious November 2020 Ontario
    Elena ·
    • Dispute
    View quoted message
    I can sympathize with you. I am also supposed to be getting married on April 25 in Ontario. So far there is no clarity from the venue - last week they said they are not amending their cancellation policy. (And going ahead with events.) Things have changed a lot in the last week - and this uncertainty is making me extremely anxious. I got an email a few days back that I would receive a call from the venue - and no one has called. I also don’t know what the government regulations are when I comes to weddings. Are events under 50 people Ok or not? We also have older people attending, and are concerned for their health.
    • Reply
  • Kirsten
    Frequent user April 2020 Alberta
    Kirsten ·
    • Dispute
    View quoted message
    Definitely one of our concerns, and a lot more people not being able to make it
    • Reply
  • A
    Newbie June 2022 Ontario
    Angela ·
    • Dispute
    I’m getting married April 25th as well (in Ontario)! I’m feeling heart broken to say the least. We have decided to make a final decision by April 1st. I just hate this waiting game. All of our vendors are on board with whatever we decide... postponing or going through with our same date! However now we are just worried that if even though our wedding continues as planned, our guests will not feel safe coming. This is so tough!
    • Reply
  • Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    View quoted message

    All the best to you as you and your fiance navigate this difficult time! I hope everything works out.

    • Reply
  • Vinod
    Featured August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    View quoted message
    A resolution is found and works to the best of what can be done given the circumstances of the outlook.
    • Reply
  • Amelia
    Master October 2020 New Brunswick
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    I agree with Kelsie, I would wait until the end of the month and see what the situation is like. For our fall wedding we picked a date when I am allowed to worry and until then it is out of my control.


    If it comes down to postponing try to see if your wedding party or family can help you call vendors and guests to reduce the stress of needing to contact so many people.
    • Reply
  • Kirsten
    Frequent user April 2020 Alberta
    Kirsten ·
    • Dispute
    View quoted message
    I'll still be getting married on my original date in April, have our officiant and our marriage license. Honestly would probably cancel with the original vendor and than just throw a party later for everyone else.
    • Reply
  • Vinod
    Featured August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    Don't give up on cancelling your wedding day. Postpone the day and let your guests know due to the pandemic occurring right now with businesses looking out for their staff. Talk to the coordinator and see if they can push the date for later for summer if that works to accommodate your guests to travel then when all is clear.
    • Reply
  • Kirsten
    Frequent user April 2020 Alberta
    Kirsten ·
    • Dispute
    View quoted message
    I am in law enforcement, as well as my fiance so we will not be closing or kept home lol. Hopefully that is true, rather that than what our government is saying but they are saying at minimum 2weeks of the shut downs before they see any results and another 2 weeks before they can lift anything to ensure it kills off.
    • Reply
  • Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    View quoted message

    I actually had to go to my doctor for a non-COVID related issue yesterday - they think its going to peak in Ontario next week and then taper off. Fingers crossed this is the case! We have to remember we aren't in Italy or China - and we had the "benefit" (if you can even call it that) of seeing the progress of COVID in Italy/China/Iran and seeing how Canada can do it differently.

    I'm actually still working at my office but we're closing tonight for a week - the more people who stay home the better but I know that isn't always an option, especially financially. It's such a hard decision.

    • Reply
  • Kirsten
    Frequent user April 2020 Alberta
    Kirsten ·
    • Dispute
    View quoted message
    Lol I know I'm leaning towards that, but actually saying it is so much harder. Just heard from our province that they are expecting the peak of this pandemic to be in 4-5weeks and many of the "social distancing" measures to be in affect until at least the end of may.
    • Reply
  • Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    View quoted message
    It’s totally up to you! It sounds like you’re leaning more towards canceling/rescheduling, and there’s nothing wrong with that - you’re thinking of your guests which is the most important thing.
    • Reply
  • Kirsten
    Frequent user April 2020 Alberta
    Kirsten ·
    • Dispute
    View quoted message
    Many of our guests are concerned travelling right now, his parents have been informed there is talks of their flights being canceled by the airlines, many of our guests are police personnel and their vacation time is being reviewed and revoked because of the number of staff that are in self isolation. Than there is the friends in the service industry that have been laid off. We have some close friends saying they will come regardless but I'm already being asked what we are going to do and seems unfair to make them wait too long. Especially when 80% of our guest list either has their vacation time being revoked, are not working or have to travel across country
    • Reply
  • Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute

    For me personally, I would wait until March 31 (to see if the states of emergency are lifted) before making a decision.

    If, however, you are hesitant to wait that long I would discuss with your vendor and guests to see what they are feeling.

    • Reply

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

×
ReCaptcha Verification failed. Please try again.

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics