Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Samtam
VIP November 2016 British Columbia

Share your proposal story!

Samtam, on January 24, 2017 at 14:05 Posted in Before the wedding 0 49

Our community is expanding so I would love to hear your proposal stories! (And share pics if you have them!) Did you know it was coming or was it a surprise?

Mine was definitely a total surprise. We knew we were going to get married some day but I had no idea he was going to propose when he did. (and neither did he!) I have been volunteering with an organization called Hugh O'Brian Youth Leadership (HOBY) for 11 years now and they host leadership conferences for high school students. I attended in 2005 and it changed my life so I've been volunteering ever since. They host local leadership seminars in all 50 states in the US and then at the end of the summer they host a World Leadership Congress (WLC) with all 50 states and about 10-15 different countries represented. After my fiance and I started dating, he started volunteering with me at our local seminar in California but hadn't made it to a WLC yet. We always have a Closing Banquet at the end of the WLC and I told my fiance that he should come. We thought about it but we went to a wedding the month before so we decided that it was too expensive to have him fly out for the banquet. (Though I had caught the bouquet at the wedding!)

He decided to surprise me anyways and showed up at the Navy Pier in Chicago for the Closing Banquet! I was so happy to see him and introduced him to everyone as my "amazing boyfriend" all night. After the dinner portion of the banquet there is a dance and about halfway through they cut the music and my fiance went up on stage. My brain was having a hard time processing what he was doing up there because clearly he had to be proposing but as far as I knew he didn't have a ring! He called me up on stage and proposed in front of the entire WLC, more than 500 people! (There were lots of screaming teenagers who were very happy for us.) Luckily he had someone take pictures and video because it was all a blur! He only decided he was going to propose a couple days before so I was really impressed with him for pulling it off!

I said yes!

We're engaged!

49 Comments

Latest activity by Emilie, on January 31, 2017 at 09:32
  • Emilie
    Featured Quebec
    Emilie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hey Sunshine!! This is such beautiful ring!! Smiley love I'm so happy you decided to share it here!! Wow! You two have been together for 8 years!? Congrats! Smiley heart I can't wait to hear all about how you two met! You should join us in these discussions too:

How long have you known each other for?

What is the name of your SO?

Where did you meet?

First date success or awkward first date?

It's so much fun to remember these stories together! Smiley catface When are you getting married?

• L
    Expert August 2018 Ontario
    Linzer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Yay for couch proposals Smiley heart
  • Sunshine Shae
    Curious August 2018 Ontario
    Sunshine Shae ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hi Everyone,

Surprise marriage proposal; This is a compilation of the ‘raw’ clips from my suprise marriage proposal. My hubby was very smooth; After 8yrs 3 mths. he is still able to surprise me Smiley smile Check it out

Marriage Proposal Smiley smile

Us on January 20, 2017... That special night Smiley smile

Suprise Marriage Proposal

My ring

my ring

• Samtam
    Samtam ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Aw that sounds like a perfect night! That's awesome that he was able to pull off the surprise!

• Amanda
    Super August 2018 Alberta
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We were sitting on the couch, watching a hockey game...Greg had told me earlier that week, that on Thursday, he had to go into the city to pick up something for his boss. I thought nothing of it. He and his boss aren't best friends or anything, but the boss is a busy man, and Greg had done many little things for him before. So after supper, he got in the truck and headed into the city...After I'd cleaned up from supper, I changed into my pjs and I sat on the couch to watch the hockey game. He called me about half an hour later and said he was on his way home. When he got home, he came and sat on the couch with me.At the next commercial break, he sat up, slid off the couch, onto his knee, reached in his pocket, pulled out the ring, and asked me if I'd marry him.I squealed, and proceeded to cry for a solid 5 minutes before I managed to squeak out a "yes".
    We've been together for just over 9 years now. I honestly didn't think he could surprise me. I thought I would know, or at least catch on. Was I ever wrong.
    Our team won the hockey game too. Haha
  • Kacy
    VIP February 2019 Quebec
    Kacy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

LMAO!!!! I can just imagine the hordes of teens now... hahahahah

That's so fun that you still have exclusivity over that 'title' hehehe

• Samtam
    Samtam ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Haha yes lots of screaming teenagers who were very happy for us and apparently we inspired them to start making out all over the place.

We both volunteered at the WLC the following year and it was fun to be "that" couple because no one had gotten engaged at the WLC before!

• L
    Linzer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    That is so sweet! Simple, personal and lovely! And great that you'll have the proposal recorded forever!
  • L
    Linzer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Thanks Sam!
    I got a lot of flak from people for "knowing too much about the proposal" or "pressuring him" (Which is a laughable notion, he's stubborn af and a more than willing participant in our relationship ), but at the end of the day it was the perfect proposal for ME. Smiley smile We keep no secrets, know each other to the core and this is what fit. ❤
    But yeah, the whole "you must have a diamond engagement ring" shtick is so frustrating. So we got out ring from Blue Nile! Will get our bands too!
  • L
    Linzer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Ahhh that's perfect! My FH and I played that game a lot at the start of our relationship. That and "two truths and a lie ".
  • Samtam
    Samtam ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Omg I love your story! I totally melted when he said "have I ever let you down?" I love how each proposal is perfect for each couple. And I totally understand the frustration of trying to find a non-diamond wedding ring. It's crazy how few options there are!

• L
    Linzer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Aww, the rain makes it even more perfect!
  • Kacy
    VIP February 2019 Quebec
    Kacy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Aawww hehehe thank you so much!! I have to say, your story is absolutely perfect too! How romantic that he broadcast his love for you in front of all of those people, and in a place to special to you both Smiley heart It must have been so incredible to have all of those people cheering and so happy for you Smiley smile

• Samtam
    Samtam ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Aw thank you! I was very proud of him for pulling it off Smiley winking It was the perfect proposal for me

• Samtam
    Samtam ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

That sounds like something out of a movie! That worked out so perfect to have someone there to capture the moment!

• L
    Linzer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    So our story does not involve any grand gestures or really anything out of the ordinary. But it's just us. Weird, neurotic and boring us. ❤
    From the get go we knew we were going to get married one day. 6 months in, at a friends wedding, we drunkenly confessed to each other how we couldn't wait until our wedding day.
    We stared looking for rings over the summer. My mom gave my FH her engagement ring so we could use the diamond to design our own ring. We found a custom jeweler and I came up with this gorgeous diamond and blue topaz ring with white gold band.
    Then disaster strikes. The fucking jeweller breaks our diamond. I still don't know exactly how this happened and he insisted that it was broken before we gave it to him. Whatever. Lots of tears and frustration. I decide I don't even want a diamond anymore and I hate this whole process.
    Fast forward to trying to find a jewelery store that sells non diamond wedding rings. Getting even more frustrated trying to find this. I send my FH a bunch of rings I really love that are at online only retailers. FH mumbles how he isn't sure about buying an online ring but he will see what he can do.
    Fast forward a bit and he snaps me a picture of this box that came in the mail without any explanation. I instantly know what's up and start going insane with excitement. He got my ring! We talk about maybe getting engaged around Christmas and how we can't do it in public because I hate hate hate crying in front of strangers!
    For the next two weeks almost every day the bastard teases me and drives me crazy. When is he going to do it already!?! I kinda sorta tore the apartment apart and find where he's hidden it and it's everything I want it to be. Neurotic excitement intensifies.
    Two weeks into December my impatience and excitement goes overboard and I take matters into my own hands. I just start talking about it openly with friends and family and heavily suggest that he ought to make an honest woman out of me sooner rather than later. He simply looks at me and says, "Have I ever let you down? Ever not given you exactly what you wanted?" (Which if course, he never ever has. )
    So I settle into the weekend. Just relaxing the two of us, watching Christmas movies, snuggling and singing to the 1970s Scrooge musicals and heating up some frozen pizza. Both of us in pj's, me without a speck of makeup on and hair in a messy bun. Aka every weekend ever.
    After a particularily silly sing along, he looks at me all intently, talking about how much he loves me then.....nothing. In a joking huff, I go outside on the balcony to get some air.....and he proceeds to lock me outside. While I'm freaking out, unbenowst to me and he runs to the "hiding place" where he's kept the ring and grabs it. After some banging he let's me in with this goofy grin on his face. I'm like "k whatever I'm cold. Let's snuggle."
    We go back to chilling on the couch, talking about what to watch next. And finally the moment I've been waiting for happens and he pulls out the ring, gets off the couch on one knee and proposes to me in his pj's. And I instantly start bawling hysterically although it was as far from a surprise as it could be. But it was so special to finally make official something we knew in our hearts from day one. We're just meant to be!
    And that was that! Not obviously romantic but one of the reasons I adore him is how safe and comfortable he makes me feel, totally at ease and that's something I've never had before him. So I wouldn't change it for the world.
    The too long didn't read: got engaged on our couch in pj's doing absolutely nothing remarkable. An introvert's dream.
  • Kacy
    VIP February 2019 Quebec
    Kacy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hehehe thanks!! Smiley heart My brother and his girlfriend got us that last photo printed on a canvas as our Christmas gift! Smiley heart

• L
    Linzer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Wow wow wow amazing story. Your expression is priceless!
  • L
    Linzer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Sam I don't know how I haven't read his post before but OMG cutest proposal ever! ❤❤❤ you two are adorable.
  • Kacy
    VIP February 2019 Quebec
    Kacy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

David and I have been together since right before we turned 18 (his birthday is today!), so it has now been 11 years (+ 1 month, but who's counting??)! Anyways, this past summer, we both took time off of work/PhD to spend some time together. We were planning little local excursions, and decided to visit the 'Wine route' (La route des vins) not too far from Montreal, like we have done a few times now. Our friends (the couple in the photos) had never been, so I, not knowing David's plan, invited them to come along with us, haha! Anyways, during the car ride to pick up the other couple, we were chatting in the car, David was being super sweet and romantic, saying that we had been together for a while now, had lived together, had just bought a house together, that he loves me and wants to be with me forever, as well as asking if I still wanted to spend the rest of my life with him, to which I obviously responded, 'yes!'. Anyways, that was his little speech, but I had ZERO clue that he was planning anything for that day haha. So I had planned out which vineyards we would go visit, which included this gorgeous vineyard that had been built to resemble a European vineyard, with a French castle, etc etc, i.e. beautiful! We were super huge fans of the wine, but we both loved the view and experience we had gone there, plus we thought that our friends should definitely visit, at least once!

On the way to that vineyard (one of the last one on our itinerary), I was talking to our friends and saying how when we had visited that place, we had both started to imagine about how lovely it would be to get married on a vineyard... they were both giggling, and I still had no clue! Once there, we took some photos of them, and then David suggested that they take some of us, and we both handed them our cameras. While posing for the photos, David whispered in my ear that he had meant every word he had said in the car, dropped down on one knee and took out the ring!

I still get emotional thinking about that day, it was absolutely perfect! And amazing that we have pictures of it happening (thanks to my big mouth LOL!) Smiley laugh

Anyways, here are some pictures!

Our friends that visited the vineyards with us (and took photos)

Our friends that visited the vineyards with us (and took photos)

Another view of the vineyard

Another view of the vineyard

We followed the other couple, took some photos of them...

We followed the other couple, took some photos of them...

And then he popped the question, much to my surprise!

And then he popped the question, much to my surprise!

• Jessica
    Frequent user June 2018 Saskatchewan
    Jessica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I wanted him to! But we are getting married far from home so I cant bring him Smiley sad
  • Jaymee
    Curious August 2018 Manitoba
    Jaymee ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Thanks! Yeah theyre pretty excited now about the wedding..
  • Lisa
    VIP May 2018 Ontario
    Lisa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Sam! What a great board discussion! Love all these feel good engagement stories!
  • Lisa
    VIP May 2018 Ontario
    Lisa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Perfect!!! Love all these stories!!!
  • Lisa
    VIP May 2018 Ontario
    Lisa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Ahh love it! Beautiful story! Now you've got "your story"!
  • Lacey
    Curious May 2018 Alberta
    Lacey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Thank you!The rain was perfect ❤ We were running down the sidewalk, laughing, trying to find shelter like something straight out of a rom com...lol
  • Lisa
    VIP May 2018 Ontario
    Lisa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Ahh thanks!

• Samtam
    Samtam ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Aw that does sound so perfect! Rain is good luck right? Smiley winking Hope you're still enjoying that "I just got engaged feeling!"

• Samtam
    Samtam ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Aw that's so sweet! I love that your family knew he was going to propose and were so supportive!

• Lacey
    Curious May 2018 Alberta
    Lacey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Greg proposed on a romantic birthday weekend getaway in Victoria. We went for a walk downtown by the harbour on December 9 to see the Christmas lights and when I wanted to stop and take a selfie under the most beautifully lit tree, he popped the question 😍 We kissed and cried, and then laughed when the skies opened up and we got caught in a huge downpour of rain...lol. It was perfect ❤

Share your proposal story! - 1
  • Jaymee
    Curious August 2018 Manitoba
    Jaymee ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    The day before he proposed I had this weird over whelming feeling that he is planning to do it. But he always would tell me not to expect anything cause I might get disappointed. So I brush those feelings off. I kinna get the idea that he will cause my sister told me to atleast get my nails done by friday and my parents keeps asking me if I have work that day. But then again i dont wanna be disappointed if that didnt happen so i brush those off. Dec. 16, 2016 He asked me to go out to dinner with him so i said okay. We can go after my work. I got home at 6 pm from my 1st job. I saw him all ready sitting on the couch. He looked kinna nervous. But yeah thought he was just worried about something. So i went on to get ready, put some make up on. Then i went downstairs cause its time to go for my 2nd job. I walked in the living room and saw him kneeled on one knee with the music on, balloons everywhere. Bouquet of flowers my parents and my sister all supporting him. Then I said "YES" hugged him then pushed him while saying "I knew it"! Turns out my parents and my sister knew it for like 2 weeks. He ask for my hand in marriage. 😊

Share your proposal story! - 1

Share your proposal story! - 2

Share your proposal story! - 3

Share your proposal story! - 4

Share your proposal story! - 5
  • Natasha
    VIP August 2017 Ontario
    Natasha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

These are so awesome, love hearing everyones stories !!!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics