Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

V
Newbie July 2025 Ontario

September 2024 Wedding

Veronica, on December 28, 2023 at 23:52 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 22
Hello everyone,
I recently got engaged on Christmas days and I am planning on having my wedding on September. I am not sure where to start planning. Any advice?
Thanks

22 Comments

Latest activity by Krista, on February 10, 2024 at 16:56
  • Krista
    Newbie September 2024 New Brunswick
    Krista ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hey girl! I know I am responding pretty late. But! I was in the same boat. I started with finding a venue that is #1 available for the month you are wanting. #2 fits the vibe you are going for! It took me a bit to decide but just try envisioning you and your partner at each venue and look into the details like do they have enough seating, do they have food and drinks(if that is what you want) do they have the things you are wanting at a good price. Definitely research a few venues and then once you have BOOKED the venue you then will have an idea of how to decorate and entertainment. Hope that helped a little bit Smiley smile Congrats!!!!

• J
    Newbie September 2024 Ontario
    Jasmin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I agree! The count piece makes me nervous but let’s see right?!
  • Kira
    Beginner September 2024 Ontario
    Kira ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Hi, I got engaged on new years eve and we are pla Ning for October 2024 so similar timeline to you! I have no additional advice, just some solidarity and agreement that it's overwhelming to know where to start! Especially when a lot of people are saying that's not enough time to plan a wedding! Congratulations and good luck planning!
  • Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Contrary to what everyone is saying, your BUDGET should be the first thing you tackle. No point in researching or looking into wedding venues and setups if they are out of your range. Your budget determines everything, including venue.

• Amanda
    Newbie September 2024 Quebec
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

It’s definitely a lot. But I’m rooting for you! All will get done and the day will be beautiful Smiley smile

• V
    Newbie July 2025 Ontario
    Veronica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you for your helpful tips. Never thought wedding planning was so exhausting.
  • Leandra
    Curious June 2024 Ontario
    Leandra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Fingers crossed for you!! I was also stressed about venue because you can’t really plan anything else until you have a date but enjoy the process of shopping around and it’ll all fall into place!! Best of luck!
  • V
    Newbie July 2025 Ontario
    Veronica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you those are great tips. Finding the venue is a bit frustrating so far. But hoping everything goes well.
  • V
    Newbie July 2025 Ontario
    Veronica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you. Finding the venue is frustrating most places we liked are booked or have a minimum guest count which we don't have. Hopefully it all goes smoothly
  • Leandra
    Curious June 2024 Ontario
    Leandra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Congratulations!! I’d say venue most definitely, and then photo/video!! Then move into flowers, dress etc. If you’re looking for something/someone very specific for hair and makeup then I’d also get on that asap! Those tend to book up quick as well Smiley smile
  • J
    Jasmin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    CONGRATULATIONS!!!! So exciting Smiley smile
    How’s planning going?!
  • S
    SAMANTHA ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Congrats!! Venue is definitely #1 and will take you the longest since you and your fiancée will have to find time to visit them. If you're planning on getting a wedding planner I'd make that job #2 as they book up fast! Then photographer, music (reception and ceremony) and your dress.
  • Amanda
    Featured August 2022 British Columbia
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yes it's crazy how fast dates start filling up!

I bought my dress from a store here in Alberta but the designer was Morilee By Madeline Gardner

• V
    Newbie July 2025 Ontario
    Veronica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Hi,
    Thank you im really excited.
    I have already started to look for venues and can't believe some of them are already book for next year. If you don't mind me asking where did you ordered your dress from?
  • Amanda
    Featured August 2022 British Columbia
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

First off congrats on the engagement!

Venue is defiantly a major thing to get done first. Once you secure your date with your venue then you can start sourcing out your other vendors. If you really like something book asap places fill up super fast. My husband and I's venue books 2 years in advance.

I would also start looking at dresses if you haven't already! Some designers take a bit to be ordered in. Mine took 7 months for it to come in and then 2 months for alterations

• Karin
    Karin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Congratulations! I agree with everyone that venue is #1 - you can't really schedule/book anything until you have this.

If you are aiming for September then I would also suggest looking for your dress as soon as possible so you have plenty of time to order and alter as needed.

After we decided on the venue (backyard for us) we focused on the other major vendors: photographer, DJ, caterer, officiant, tent/dish rental (specific for us because we chose backyard), hair and makeup.

• Amanda
    Newbie September 2024 Quebec
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Congratulations!!

I agree with the other comments that the venue would be most important to book first to secure a date and location, and then everything else can work around that. You’ll need the date and location secured in order to confirm availability of the rest of the vendors: catering, photography, DJ, etc.

In order to book a venue, you’ll need a vague idea of how many people there will be at the wedding. Most venues fit a certain number of people.

I had also found a wedding checklist online and that’s been super helpful for me to make sure that I am not forgetting any details. You can search for ones that specify a 9-month wedding planning timeline. It might be overwhelming when you first look at it, but remember that the checklist includes everything you’ll need for the big day; it does not all need to be done at once. You may also decide that you won’t be doing some things that are included on the list, like I did.

Wishing you the best! Good luck Smiley smile

• Kathleen
    Kathleen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Congratulations!
    I definitely agree with what others have said - venue (then from there you’ll know what additional you need as some venues offer more than others - if you get an all inclusive venue with beautiful decor then you might not need to focus as much on decor and catering, if the venue is a shell venue then you know you need catering, more decor etc), dress and photography are the big ones.
    I downloaded some of the checklists online and then took bits and pieces from each to guide me - most are curated to USA but I found it helpful to have a list in front my me and check things off as I went. Good luck 🤍
  • Risa
    Risa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    1. Vague idea of how many people are going to be invited
    2. Venue
    3. Vague idea of date of wedding
  • T
    Tessa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Agreed! Venue first as most may be booked up. Then photographer, flowers, dj are probably your next important vendors. For sure get looking for a dress as most need to be ordered months in advance. Good luck!
  • Chanel
    Newbie September 2024 British Columbia
    Chanel ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Congratulations!! I totally agree with starting at a venue, I’d also say prioritize these vendors as well since they tend to book up fastest:
    - photographer
    - caterers- hair and makeup
    Goodluck!
  • Julie
    Featured May 2023 Ontario
    Julie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Congrats and welcome to Weddingwire!!
    Venue is key. Do some research on a few places that you like. You would be surprised how many places are already booked up or you may not like in the end. GOOD LUCK 😊

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics