Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Shawn
Newbie November 2021 Manitoba

Second time around

Shawn, on November 4, 2020 at 17:51 Posted in Wedding fashion 0 6

Good evening. My girlfriend (ex-fiance) called it off last February after a very heated discussion/argument and I moved out. It was a mutual decision and we were reasonable with each other. There were no real ill feelings other than disappointment that we allowed ourselves to get to where we were. We sold her wedding set, which was beautiful and we split the money.

Fast forward a few months, during Covid, we realized the mistake that we had made and started dating again. Slowly at first to see if we could go backwards and start over, well we have and its better than it was a few years ago when we first fell in love with each other.

We spoke about this just last weekend and I we talked about how much she misses her ring.

My question is, I am going to buy her another engagement ring and propose again. Her first ring was purchased at a antique shop and I told her maybe it had bad Karma, regardless, should I try to purchase a ring that is very similar to her other one, or should it be totally different, even though she loved the other one?

One thought is she did love the other ring and if a new ring looked the same but was only hers it might be nice, but on the other hand, does a similar ring bring up the bad parts of our relationship that broke us apart.

Should this new, rekindled love have its own new ring as well?

Please be honest with your replies.

Thank you.

6 Comments

Latest activity by Amelia, on November 5, 2020 at 16:18
  • Amelia
    Master October 2020 New Brunswick
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    If it were me I would want something different, whether that meant new or a new antique. I would want it to look different, maybe a different shaped stone or even a different color.

If you're buying new you could look for something that has a nod to your past, present, and future. Maybe multiple stones, perhaps colored ones with a diamond in the middle?
  • Shawn
    Newbie November 2021 Manitoba
    Shawn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Thank you ladies for your valuable input. I still haven’t decided 100% on which way I’m going to go but I do know she loves the first set that we kind of picked together but I’m just not sure if it would be better to go with similar or something totally new.

I suppose she will be the only one who can answer that.
  • Cindy
    Frequent user May 2021 Alberta
    Cindy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Another thought is, if you want it to be a surprise, maybe enlist a good friend to grill her on what she "really" wants in a ring.

My fiancé did that with his niece who kept asking me for advice on rings in case her boyfriend of 6 years proposed. She asked what I would like because she is very similar to me. I was completely surprised. My ring is specifically made for me and is amazing. He did such a great job.

• Samantha
    Super June 2021 Ontario
    Samantha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Personally, I'm the type of person that likes to have a say in something that I'll be wearing for the rest of my life. My fiance at first went ahead and got me a ring and it was nice but not at all what I had always envisioned. I wore it for a few weeks hoping it would grow on me, but it never did. That's when I told him that I would like to exchange it. He understood my reasoning and why I held out for awhile before telling him. In the end honesty is always best. So ask for her input. I did read about one couple where they went ring shopping together but the woman gave the ring to the man so he could still propose to her later in the way he intended. Shopping together also gives her the chance to look at others and try them on and may find one that she loves even more than the other one.
    But everyone and every couple is different, so yeah, best advice is to ask her Smiley smile
  • Patricia
    Frequent user July 2021 Ontario
    Patricia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Definitely made sure my fiancé knew what type of ring I wanted prior to him purchasing haha. So if she knows there is going to be a ring I would discuss with her and maybe just ask first if she wants it to be a surprise!!
  • Alexis
    Devoted July 2021 Ontario
    Alexis ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    As a girl who really appreciates that my future husband has let me be involved in choosing a ring I think you should ask her. I’m still getting surprised with what the final ring will look like but he has a lot of specifics to help it be something I will like. It will still be different than the one before that you got her and can represent your future together. But also, what if you pick out a ring for her and she secretly hates it and has to spend the rest of her life with a ring she doesn’t like? It’s the most expensive and nicest jewelry she’ll ever have. You should at least know a general idea of what she would want

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics