Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Elizabeth
Frequent user September 2020 Ontario

Second Room Seating at Venue

Elizabeth, on February 24, 2019 at 14:59 Posted in Wedding reception 0 11
We booked our venue! Initial contract signed and the reception fee has been paid in full. Literally 17% of our budget is already paid.

We love our venue. The Mill Restaurant and Pub in Cobourg is stunning. Wood beams and exposed stone interior. A flipping WATERFALL with a BRIDGE right in front of it for photos! The event coordinator Fran has been super lovely so far. Plus the food cost is way lower than what I thought it was going to be. Its in our hometown and it is the only venue my fiance was excited about seeing... It also ended up being the only venue we saw because we both loved it so much.

Only draw back is that the main room only seats 80 and we have a guest list of 120. The porch, which looks into the main room through two full walls of windows, seats 40. If the weather is good we're going to have some of our guests there. If the weather is bad, the pub downstairs seats 40 as well.

Has anyone been to a wedding where some of the guests were sat in a different room? I personally wouldn't be bothered by it. The people I know who have been seated in secondary rooms during weddings told me they didn't mind it. They said it was less stuffy and more relaxed.

We plan on explaining the situation in our RSVPs and giving people the option to opt into sitting in the second space but also explaining that choosing not to opt in does not guarantee being in the main hall.

11 Comments

Latest activity by Donna Yeung, on April 20, 2019 at 23:08
  • Donna Yeung
    Devoted August 2018 British Columbia
    Donna Yeung ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would seat all important members like family and close friends indoors in the main room. And friends/colleagues in the secondary room. Generally the closer you are to the bride/groom you get seated closer to the front.

• Amanda
    Super June 2019 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Mine might end up being the same but I'm not sure yet.. It's also at a restaurant and we get the whole main floor but its two different rooms just split up by the front entrance and a staircase.. I haven't seen a seating plan so I don't know how many they can seat in one room but I imagine ours will be split as well..

I'm with you - I wouldn't be bothered by this at a wedding at all.. It's just for dinner.. the party/mingling is after then everyone can be wherever they want

• Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

It sounds like an interesting space for sure! Hopefully it all works out for you guys!

• Elizabeth
    Elizabeth ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    We've been thinking of doing speeches at the end of cocktail hour. Only our parents and us will be doing speeches because neither the MoH or the BM are comfortable with public speaking... Plus my fiance hates how long they take, lol
  • Elizabeth
    Elizabeth ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    We do plan on having our friends in the secondary space. I know they will be more relaxed about it. My aunts, uncles, and cousins will have to be there too though because my immediate family is 29 people.

We'll have dancing on the main floor and video games in the pub after dinner. They want the dancing where we will be doing the cocktail hour which is just off of the main room. It's an odd floor plan. There will still be seating but fewer tables.
  • Elizabeth
    Elizabeth ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I really wish we could cut down the guest list. I had originally wanted a small, intimate wedding at my step-brother's restaurant but my side of the family eclipsed the seating numbers.

I have 29 people in my immidiate family and I only have like ten friends total... and half of them are married to each other. It did not go over well when I suggested not inviting aunts, uncles, cousins, and their kids.
  • Elizabeth
    Elizabeth ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That's a great idea! Lucky for us it already has four screens set up in the pub area so would just have rent something for a live feed.
  • Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I feel like some guests won't mind where as others might not like the idea of being far from the couple (if the weather is bad and they are in the pub). With that in mind, I like how you are giving guests a heads-up in the invitation and having the opt-in option.

I would have the opt-ins and more distant guests (coworkers, friends of friends, etc) seated in this area. I would also ask your venue's coordinator if having all guests, even if the 40 would be standing) in the main hall for speeches so they don't miss out on everything.

I'm assuming for dancing you are able to have everyone upstairs standing?

• Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I was at a wedding like this. It did seem like a weird set up. It worked out so that all family was in the room with the head table and friends were in the other room. They did miss out on the speeches, which some people don’t mind anyway. It would feel a little less like a wedding to me, but as long as everyone will fit in the space for the dance, I think people will understand. I do think it’s a good idea to let people know ahead of time that there are two rooms and they have the option to opt in.
  • Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I personally wouldn't like that to be honest, but seeing as how that is what you have to work with I think you're doing the best you can with putting that in the invitation.

If it were me (and it's not - I know), I would only send out the guest list of 80 and send more out based on the amount of people that put not attending.

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

It seems odd to have 2 rooms separated for reception though its different levels. A screen with wi fi connection for the guests under would be useful for them to see and hear what's happening.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics