Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

R
Newbie July 2018 Saskatchewan

Seating Chart/place Cards

Rachelle, on May 22, 2018 at 21:10 Posted in Plan a wedding 1 11
Hi everyone!
I'm just wondering what everyone is doing for seating at their weddings. Can you put place cards on each table with no seating chart or do you need a seating chart too? Maybe we should just put a cute sign that says pick a seat not a side.

11 Comments

Latest activity by Mark, on August 5, 2024 at 10:26
  • Mark
    New York
    Mark ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Thank you for raising this question about wedding seating arrangements! I understand you're considering different options. Based on your description, I'd like to recommend a resource that might be helpful for your situation: place card maker guide

This link provides suggestions and templates for creating dinner place cards using Microsoft Word, which could suit your needs:

1. If you decide to use place cards without a seating chart:
      • You can easily create personalized place cards for each guest using Word
      • These cards can be arranged on tables without assigning specific seats
      • This allows guests some freedom in choosing where to sit at their assigned table
    2. If you prefer a seating chart in addition to place cards:
      • This resource can help you design coordinated seating charts and place cards
      • This option provides clear guidance for guests on where to sit
    3. For a more casual "pick a seat, not a side" approach:
      • You can use Word to create cute, themed signs with this message
      • This works well for more relaxed wedding styles

The advantage of using this Microsoft Word resource is that it's versatile enough to support whichever seating strategy you choose. You can easily customize designs, experiment with different layouts, and make changes as needed.

Remember, the best choice depends on your wedding style, guest list, and personal preferences. A more structured seating arrangement can help with smooth dinner service and ensure that groups who know each other are seated together, while an open seating plan can create a more relaxed atmosphere.

Whichever option you choose, this Word resource can help you create beautiful, personalized elements for your special day. Let me know if you have any other questions about seating arrangements or using this resource!

• Clarissa
    Expert October 2018 Saskatchewan
    Clarissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Unless your having a very small and intimate reception you want to have people at least assigned to a table (doesn't need to be exact seat). It just makes it a lot easier on everyone. But you only need one or the other.
    I am going to be doing a seating chart and having it placed just outside of the reception room so that it doesn't become a bottleneck as people start to filter into the reception.
  • Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We're doing a seating chart board like the one pictured below.

Seating Chart/place Cards 1

I would at the very least suggest you do a seating chart so your guests will have a table. Otherwise, people will end up moving their chairs around to seat more around particular tables, families and couples may be divided if there's not enough room for them to sit together, and I think it will be overall messy.

• Gina
    Super April 2019 Alberta
    Gina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I made a mistake on wording. I won’t be doing a seating chart at all. Lol. I will have place cards sitting at a front table for people to see what table to go to, and I will have their names on a different place card at the table to show them where to sit. Lol. I’ve been to a bunch of differnent weddings and I found it easier to have people listed by alphabetical rather then table, so that’s why we are going that way.
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Doing 2 different aspects is different.
    Either have a seating chart or place cards.

Seating charts allow the guests to find their favours at their tables and where they are placed to sit.

Place cards allow them to pick their choice of seats at the table.

I had place cards and set the favours with thank you cards per household/couple/individual.
  • Courtney
    Super July 2018 Ontario
    Courtney ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I feel like you might be talking about two different things.

For the ceremony - you can definitely do the pick a seat not a side sign. There isn't usually assigned seating at the ceremony, except for perhaps reserving a few VIP seats at the front for family.

For the reception - at minimum you'll need a seating chart that tells people what Table Number to go to. You don't have to assign specific seats at those tables however.

• Gabbie
    Newbie June 2019 Nova Scotia
    Gabbie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm letting my guests figure it out, I'm not doing seat charts at all. It's going to be an outdoor casual event and I have very few family and only 2 friends and their spouses coming up for it, so I know my side will all stick together (language barrier, familiarity...) but his friends and family all know each other, so I'm not overly concerned.

• Gina
    Super April 2019 Alberta
    Gina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Oh and the pic lol

Seating Chart/place Cards 2
  • Gina
    Super April 2019 Alberta
    Gina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I would definitely do a seating chart so people know what table they are at, or else it would take forever for people to walk around and find their name. I’m doing something like this. The card will have the persons name and table number. Then there will be names set up at the seat. I think not having assigned tables is complicated. People don’t know where to sit or more people what to sit together. You don’t need assigned seats though, that’s personal preference. And at least with assigned tables you can prevent people who don’t get along for sitting at the same table lol
  • Marcia
    Super August 2018 Manitoba
    Marcia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We will be doing a seating chart display, with table numbers on the tables for the reception. I wanted to do pick a seat not a side, but found it might be a lot for the guest to figure out where they want to sit during the reception. We will have a pick a seat, not a side sign for our ceremony however.

• Karen
    Expert September 2018 Ontario
    Karen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I like the idea of the sign that says pick a seat not a side. What I'm doing is, I have a seating chart to guide my guest which table number they seat. I'm Also putting name tag.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics