Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Joy
Frequent user August 2023 Nova Scotia

Scent Free?

Joy, on January 2, 2023 at 22:22 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 4

I'm going to see a venue this week, and I'm very sensitive to scented products (anything with parfum/fragrance as an ingredient), and of course most reception venues don't have signage or rules regarding scents. Where would I put a scent free requirement and how would I word that? I'm okay with most plant oils like various fruit extracts and things like lavender, tea tree, or rose (I get most products I use from the organic section of Sobeys), but how do I make it clear that other things bother me, and make sure that people respect that? The only place I've seen be really strict with it was one clinic I went to that made everyone wash their clothes in baking soda and had a list of approved soaps and hair products. I don't need things that extreme, but I need people to take it seriously.

Normally I bring an allergy mask everywhere with me or else I can't handle walking past the cleaner and detergent sections of stores or getting too close to people who use aftershave or perfume. But obviously I don't want to be wearing a thick mask during my reception. I can ask the venue about it to make sure the staff don't use anything too strong, but it's a big fear of mine, and those migraines can be debilitating, especially if my prescription that helps runs out. I'm just looking for any thoughts of where I should put this (website, invitations, an email?) and if anyone has examples of wording when dealing with allergies.

4 Comments

Latest activity by Vinod, on January 4, 2023 at 13:33
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Your invites can have a card to indicate your scent notification for awareness. This way you are rest assured no one will have anything strong on them around you and to enjoy themselves.

• Amanda
    Featured August 2022 British Columbia
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I would put it in an information card with your invites. That way your guests know right away.
  • C
    VIP September 2023 Ontario
    Carine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Like Rebecca mentioned an information card with your invitation and have it marked on your wedding site. People who have met you and know you, know you have a sensitivity to smells. But a friendly reminder is perfectly okay.

• Rebecca
    Expert October 2023 Newfoundland and Labrador
    Rebecca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I would include it on an information card or something like that can always go on your website I feel your pain I love florals but they don’t love me and I get a massive migraine and nausea.

I would also make sure I spoke to everyone I could possibly and remind them pre wedding as well

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics